Poll: How do you use Linux Mint?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

How do you use Linux Mint?

As a unique OS on my main PC
36%
As a unique OS on my secondary PC
16%
Dual boot with Windows
31%
Dual boot with another Linux distro
8%
Live USB version
2%
Live and Persistent USB version
3%
Other ways
4%

Total votes: 358

Shaddix
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Poll: How do you use Linux Mint?

Post by Shaddix »

I use it in Dual Boot with a XP install, but I keep to keep the XP stuff to a minimum :)
a state of mint..
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

I dual boot Linux Mint x64 with Windows XP Pro. I'm down to using XP for three things. When I can get LM to see my Zen properly, I'll be down to scanning, and converting cassettes to digital form. Right now, when I plug in my Zen, my pictures partition pops up, and the first letter is missing from all of the file names. When I have more time to tinker, I'll find a solution to that problem. Have used LM for a year and a half, since Daryna, and I can't really see myself migrating to another distro. LM just keeps getting better and better.
rhY
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhY »

I still dual boot to an nlited XP for two things:

Games

Nero

Try as I might, none of the other programs for burning CDs in Linux seem to work as well as Nero. I do burn stuff in Linux though rather than rebooting frequently, so mainly it's just games. Even for MOST of my games, I play them in a virtual machine and still under Mint. :) I love Virtualbox!!
RelicKylias
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RelicKylias »

Dual-booting with Windows 7 RC 32-bit.
"Hasta La Victoria Siempre!" - Ernesto 'Che' Guevara.
gees
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gees »

I'm using Linux and Mint for about 2-3 months. I've access to 3 different PC's and a portable USB-HDD.
Mint is permanently installed on all of them now. :D

My Linux Starter & Rescue Set
Linux Mint 7 Gloria LiveCD's (32 and 64bit)
... if everything else should fail and as tool for repairing windows ...

Our Family-PC for 2 other users
Self-built Intel single core 64bit desktop with 1GB RAM and 160GB HDD:
sda (GRUB MBR) booting to sda1 (XP Pro 32bit) or sda5 (ext4, Mint 7 Gloria x64)
A full reinstall of Mint takes <1hour, XP Pro a complete workday!
Since the installation of Mint, I do not use XP any more. Maintenance & support of XP for the other users will be declined.

My Backup-PC
"Old" Asus L1400 laptop upgraded to 640MB RAM and 20GB HDD:
sda (GRUB MBR) booting to sda1 (Mint 7 Gloria 32 bit)
with USB-wireless (a left-over from my router) gives extra mobility ...
A full reinstall is done in <1 hour.

My "Swiss Army Knife"
Linux Mint 7 Gloria LiveUSB pendrive 2GB, persistent installed with usb-creator,
always in my pocket, with some configuration changes & added applications,
good demo & Mint promotion tool, but also small and very quiet ...

"My" business "Workhorse from Nine to Five"
Dell E6400 dual core 64bit laptop with 2GB RAM and 160 GB HDD:
sda (NTLDR MBR) booting to sda1 (XP Pro 32bit and heavily restricted permissions)
A repair or a full reinstall could cost me my job.

You might say "What a pity not to be able to use the workhorse with it's full power on Linux?"
Proposition: Linux is all about freedom and choice! :idea:
Proof: (The following is just an experiment ofmind and for educational purposes only, just in case...)

This could be my free-time "Race Horse and Portable PowerTool"
PATA 160GB HDD (~50 Euro) (formerly used as upgrade for 20GB HDD in ASUS 1400) in an USB-bracket (~5 EURO):
sdb (GRUB MBR) booting to
sdb1 (/boot/GRUB/menu.lst)
sdb2 (swap)
sdb3 (extended)
sdb5 (/) Linux Mint 7 Gloria x64, ext 4, 15GB
sdb6 (/) Linux Mint 7 Gloria 32/x64 with alternative desktop
sdb7 ... 9 (/) other distros or beta-versions
sdb8 ... 10 (/) bootable LiveCD iso's (CD replacement)
sdb4 (data or reserved for more distros)
BIOS start-up sequence: CD, USB, HDD: When this USB-HDD is plugged in, the "Workhorse" is transformed into the "Race Horse and Portable PowerTool" with sda, MBR NTLDR and XP untouched. 8)

Procedure:
1. Boot "Workhorse" from Mint 7 x64 LiveCD
2. Connect USB-HDD and prepare partitions on sdb!!! with GParted
3. Install (manual) on sdb1: mountpoint /boot; sdb5: mountpoint /
4. In summary screen: Advanced: MBR to sdb!!! and install.

You'll probably get a GRUB error on start-up, because the menu.lst in /boot/GRUB/ will point to (hd 1,1) (at installation time!) and needs to be changed as root to (hd 0,1) (at boot time!).
After the boot, the workhorse will run Mint 7 x64.
... I guess you got the picture now, but stay away from sda, triple check! :!:

Q E D

PS: Never underestimate the power of a LiveCD, GParted, GRUB and an Advanced Install!
"The web was made for sharing ..."
Hatch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hatch »

I have a Mac and a PC connected with Synergy that both get equal use. I can't really say I have a definite main computer since it pretty much feels like I'm using a single computer. I need my Mac for certain things.

The PC was originally built for gaming, so of course I had Windows on it, XP in my case. Unfortunately, several months after spending all this money on high-end gaming hardware, I realized that I'm not a teenager anymore and few video games could hold my interest for more than 15 minutes. Also, I was so morally opposed to Microsoft's business practices that I felt like a hypocrite for using their OS, even though I was pirating it.

I'd been an evangelist for open source software among my friends for some time, so linux was an obvious choice. Now I have LinuxMint on its own small 120GB drive, and I use the huge 1TB Windows drive as a media mule. I still have Windows on it, but I haven't had any reason to boot into it and probably won't for a while (ever?). No boot manager for me; I just select which drive I want in the BIOS. This is much less error-prone in my experience.

So now my expensive Radeon HD4890 is getting precious little use, but the desktop cube sure looks nice :D
It's easy being green.
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

I have dull boot with Vista 32bit and Mint Main 7 x64. I have to keep windows for certain things I do but primarily use Mint. I need windows for my games that are not Linux comp. and for my IPod Touch since MAC does not make Itunes for Linux. Everything else I do in Mint. :)
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

well - the last few years it was Mint on Thinkpads. main editions Gnome. ONLY. never any windows. used to explore linux and mint and as a downstairs and also outside shed work computer as needed - I had 2 thinkpads at the time. I used my Macbook pro and an old powerbook in my office for all stuff biz related and website development etc. Still do. I no longer have a thinkpad (long story) but bought my wife a new one and she runs only mint - for learning and general use at the moment. Soon I hope to get another thinkpad again exclusively running Mint for myself. I love my macs. and I love OS X. Fascinated with linux but no squat about it. Love Mint and that is my favorite hands down. Not interested in any others I am that impressed. Linux fascinated since the first day it was revealed about Linus creating a new OS called Linux - early 90's I believe it was. maybe 91? I knew that I was never geek enought to even begin to understand it; but then again as things started becoming more user friendly and Microshaft ended up being and doing what they were into I became fascinated with OS X and then linux once again. I screwed with Ubuntu but no codecs and all the problems to get any serious stuff to work and be useful for my needs was such a joke that I accidentally came across 900i and he told me about mint and the rest is history.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Oscar799
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Oscar799 »

My main machine is a Lenovo Thinkpad G550 dual-booted with Mint 7 64 bit as main and Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit as back up.
I have a Dell mini 9 with Ubuntu 9.04 32 bit.
I also have an elderly Toshiba L-10 dual-booted via 120GB external harddrive with Mint 7 32 bit as main and XP as back up,with Mint 7 KDE in a VM.
I keep a USB stick with a Remastersys backup in a very safe place as ambition often exceeds current ability and I've broken Mint 7 32 bit more than once.
One day,hopefully,I will be good enough at using GIMP to get rid of XP(I only keep it for Photoshop).
Right now I'm happy with this set-up,but as time goes on and I gather experience,and become more proficient with the command line(Linux user for approx. 5 months now)I may want to explore other distros to run alongside Mint.
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I use Mint in a boat!
I use Mint with a goat...
I use Mint in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
it so good, so good you see!

So I will use Mint in a box.
And I will use it with a fox.
And I will use it in a house.
And I will use it with a mouse.
And I will use it here and there.
Say! I will use it ANYWHERE!
JahBless
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JahBless »

Mint for me has become like that person that you meet and know for only a short time, yet it feels like you have known each other for aeons! Saying that I dual boot just doesn't seem like truth as the only reason Windows is still in the Grub is because I haven't gotten around to completely wiping it yet. But for the last few weeks I have been using Mint constantly on my laptop and intend on wiping the PC and turning it into a Linux box.
I have been most pleasantly surprised at how much I love Mint 7 Gloria (Main). There are only three words I can think of right now to describe it... Beautiful, Beautiful & Beautiful! The first goes to how she looks as this was my first encounter with it...
The second goes to her personality (how she treats my machine and myself) and the third is for compatibility... amazing!

I have tried to move to Linux before but we just weren't ready to meet at the time... but now, it's like we are destined to be together... forever!! :D

I promote it whenever I can, and especially when I get phone calls from friends asking me to help fix their (never ending) windows problems.

I think I am going to wipe both machines and put XFCE on the laptop and Main edition on the PC, however I will direct questions and comments about that in another section of the forum ;)

(please excuse the extra long post! :P )

One World, One Soul,
One Love, Jah Bless!
Dragonspirit

Post by Dragonspirit »

"Mint for me has become like that person that you meet and know for only a short time, yet it feels like you have known each other for aeon's..."

Yeah!.. It's like it "breathes and beats and rolls" with you... like it's almost "human"..
Like it's made for humans.. not for "money-sucking/blood-sucking" corporate/stock-market/money-market/superficial christian-concerns.. but made for the living and the loving, for those living in brotherhood reality, compared to the other OS's which squabble and scrounge for scraps and pennies in the rat's race......
JahBless
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JahBless »

it just... feels... right ;) :mrgreen:
and it's people like Clem (and all the other people working on this and other such projects) that make me want to learn more about programming/scripting and do more for the community
OSS 4ever!

One World, One Soul,
One Love, Jah Bless!
SxFlare
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SxFlare »

I actually would lose windows altogether and just Virtual Machine it for those programs I can't use on Linux, however my laptop is too old and lacking in specs means this laptop will have a hard time to Virtual Machine anything above Win95.
I do however have to keep windows on the desktop, since it's the family main computer. My parents started using Linux Mint and found it easier than Windows, they didn't need root or anything of that sort. Funnily, due to the lack of supported file types that can be opened, less virii were obtained by them too.
jabot
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jabot »

I dual boot Mint with XP Pro on my main PC, primarily because I do a lot of film photography and develop/scan my own negatives - so I need/use my scanner daily and frankly - I just can't get it to work well on Mint. My secondary PC has Mint as the only OS and I use it a lot for my digital photography - DigiKam rocks !!
I'm currently refurbishing some old pc's to give away and will be installing Mint as the only OS on them.
JahBless
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JahBless »

I'm currently refurbishing some old pc's to give away and will be installing Mint as the only OS on them.
Great idea! I was thinking of doing the same thing myself, it would be a great way to recycle old pc's AND help spread linux to the world of unknowers! :mrgreen:
Btw, any ideas on the best way to gather computers? I was thinking about leaving fliers in shops with my phone number saying that I will come n collect them. (??)

One World, One Soul,
One Love, Jah Bless!
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I only run Linux on my machine. I gave up Windows completely about 6 years ago. :D My Wife has Vista on her pc for gaming, I only get on her machine to fix it when Windows breaks.
JahBless
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JahBless »

I only get on her machine to fix it when Windows breaks.
sounds familiar...

think about all the tech jobs in the world that would be lost if windows DIDN'T cause as many failures! :o :shock: :?

One World, One Soul,
One Love, Jah Bless!
reaZon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by reaZon »

i use mint always with a version of windows.i'm not using windows either.it's for anybody else who wants to use the computer.
metroid_maniac
Level 3
Level 3

Post by metroid_maniac »

Main PC: Mint 7/Vista
Secondary PC/ Laptop: XP

Return to “Non-technical Questions”