The installation guide says nothing about "EFI System Partition", which is essential for UEFI mode.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

The installation guide says nothing about "EFI System Partition", which is essential for UEFI mode.

Post by Matthew_Wai »

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... stall.html
The above "Linux Mint Installation Guide" says nothing about "EFI System Partition", which is essential for installation in UEFI mode. Would it be better to include "EFI System Partition" in the guide?
Reference: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=284713#p1573882
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
LanceM

Re: The installation guide says nothing about "EFI System Partition", which is essential for UEFI mode.

Post by LanceM »

The guide has 2 options. If it's a clean install on a bare drive, it says to use the erase disk and install option (which will create the needed GPT partition table and FAT32 EFI partition (if needed and if it's Legacy it's not needed with MBR). The second choice is for installing beside Windows (if Win 8.1 or Win 10 it will already have an EFI partition and you can not have 2 EFI). So really, the guide is made to be as simple to follow as possible. If you choose to do a stand alone install and want Btrfs or XFS and so on, then you need a guide on how to set those schemes up. They can be found by looking on the internet.
gm10

Re: The installation guide says nothing about "EFI System Partition", which is essential for UEFI mode.

Post by gm10 »

Matthew_Wai wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:57 am Would it be better to include "EFI System Partition" in the guide?
Certainly. Reword the swap partition part while you're at it (LM 19.x doesn't even create one in automatic mode and has hibernation disabled).

Alternatively remove all details from the "Something else" section because you cannot discuss all possible configurations there, anyway, so just a short boilerplate might be better.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

gm10 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pm
Matthew_Wai wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:57 am Would it be better to include "EFI System Partition" in the guide?
Certainly. Reword the swap partition part while you're at it (LM 19.x doesn't even create one in automatic mode and has hibernation disabled).

Alternatively remove all details from the "Something else" section because you cannot discuss all possible configurations there, anyway, so just a short boilerplate might be better.
It creates a swap file in automatic mode.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

blueocean wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pm If it's a clean install on a bare drive, it says to use the erase disk
There could be users like me, who do not want to erase everything from the disk.
blueocean wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pminstalling beside Windows
There could be users like me, who do not want to keep the Windows partition.
blueocean wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pmThey can be found by looking on the internet.
We, Linux users, probably cannot do without googling.
gm10 wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:41 pmAlternatively remove all details from the "Something else" section because you cannot discuss all possible configurations there, anyway, so just a short boilerplate might be better.
We, Linux users, probably have to get the details by googling.
Last edited by Matthew_Wai on Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Matthew_Wai wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:05 am
blueocean wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:22 pm If it's a clean install on a bare drive, it says to use the erase disk
There could be users like me who do not want to erase everything from the disk.
If there is anything on the disk, it's not a bare disk, so then it does not apply.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

"Erase disk" tops the option list whether it is a bare disk or not.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Something has to be at the top. That's the nature of a list.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I think you guys are just arguing about nothing. Matthew is just saying that not everybody is going to use the default option and if there are instructions for the alternative option in the installation guide then they should be complete and correct. It's hard to disagree with that. ;)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm not. I'm just wondering why the position on the list of the 'Erase' option is relevant.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”