How To: Google Chrome for Linux

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How To: Google Chrome for Linux

Post by dequire »

Copa360 wrote:An easier way - Go here:

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Scroll down the page until you see the Linux section, then click on the appropriate .deb package (either 32 or 64-bit). It will then install Chrome on your system, plus add the Chrome repos so it stays up to date.

Worked like a charm for me! 8)
Worked for me, too! It also says that all future updates will be automatically applied.

And....wow :shock: is it ever faster than Firefox! I was having problems in Firefox where it gets so slow it's practically unusable on certain web pages. Not so in Chrome! I've included a few screen shots, 1st of a webpage in Firefox that was giving me nightmares. The 2nd is Chrome handling the same website at blazing speeds...

Notice the "loading" status on the new tab...that never went away...

Lastly, I really like how when you open a new tab, it shows a panel view of your eight most recent web pages. Sweeeeeeeeeet!!!! 8)

Time to say "goodbye" to Firefox maybe? ... :?:
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

aehjr1 wrote:I tried the installation as per Redwagon's instructions. It loaded well, but failed to import any bookmarks from Shiretoko. Those are the ones I really wanted, too. The only import option was (directly?) from Firefox, but even as my barebones Firefox 3.0 default install has several bookmarks, so why the import failed I can only guess.

Until Chrome can import bookmarks from an HTML file, it won't get a first glance from me. Happy for y'all, though. :)
The import of bookmarks and passwords from Firefox is working now, also... 8)
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

dequire wrote:I was having problems in Firefox where it gets so slow it's practically unusable on certain web pages.
At one of your examples (blindmelonforum.com) this is not a fault of Firefox but a fault of the scripts and web design at that forum. You are right - it is almost unusable, including in Opera 10, making CPU go to 100% means there is a fault with the web design - not with the browser.

aehjr1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by aehjr1 »

They fixed the import issue in 2 days time? Sweet...but what's left is verification. I'll give it a go again. I just don't want to have to import every single bookmark I have; just the gaming ones OK, but not everything. And most of the people on this thread are talking about moving to Chrome wholesale.

Some months back I was on Vista only...I tried Chrome 1.x and loved it, especially for playing Flash games. One day I got upgraded to 2.0 and absolutely hated it because I lost access (really, really quick access!) to the games and I dropped it and went back to Safari for Flash games. But I would regularly reinstall it every month or so to see if they fixed anything that I reported. They didn't. But I'm willing to try every so often.

[EDIT]Whoops! My bad! I was a little peeved at myself when I tested this...I missed seeing the part about not having Flash yet and when I added that into the mix removed the app. But part I messed up in was I only tried the import from the Options screen, which does only have the one choice (Firefox) and did nothing. I installed again today and found that going through the bookmarks menu could perform the import from a standard HTML file. Great...I'm wrong again, but great!

So I went through the thread again. Chrome: doesn't do Flash yet but does Java(script?). Chromium: does do Flash but doesn't support Java. I will try Chromium later for Flash gaming, but other than that, I'm not seeing what it's buying me.
[/EDIT]

wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wassm. »

Hi,
i installed chromium on my linux mint 7. Working very, very fast, but still i have problem with some java page loadin (e-banking, pop up windows on ubuntuforums).

I posted my problem on ubuntu, but it seems that they have no such problems, and so i as if someone here with mint have such problems?

Ubuntu threads:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1281935
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1283273

Any idea what am i missing (i have al plug ins istalled and they work properly in shiretoko and opera...)

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

wassm: Chrome for Linux is still Beta. Expect problems. Send the site to the Chrome developers for them to check.

khsbenny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by khsbenny »

For a program thats pre-beta its almost 90% functional. Its great now flash works and most websites load up correctly, sometimes websites load incorrectly (which needs a reset of the browser).

wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wassm. »

I know that is beta, but i am posting this because some other user that use the same chromium version do not have this problem. So, i am not sure if it is chrome or linux mint or something else. E.g. on ubuntuforums.org i can see the pictures only if i open it in new tab; edit tab for editing post wouldn´t open at all. All other users have no such problem...

And about my e-banking java applet-it opens all, i can login, but after that i got only blank screen. An this is meesage in terminal i got

Code: Select all

[25342:25342:9701253466:ERROR:/build/buildd/chromium-browser-4.0.221.7~svn20091006r28103/build-tree/src/webkit/glue/plugins/plugin_instance.cc(433)] Not implemented reached in NPError NPAPI::PluginInstance::GetServiceManager(void**)
Thanks

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

wassm,

Are you using chromium or google-chrome-unstable? The official Google release is the one we're addressing in this thread.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wassm. »

Using chromium, but i tested it also on chrome-just few minutes ago-exactly the same result...

wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wassm. »

STRANGE:
I installed google-chrome 4.0.221.8
and google-chromium 4.0.222.1 (Ubuntu build 2824

And Chrome is loading ubuntuforums popup pictures and edit tab, but chromium not !?!

Still, bank applet behaviour is still the same...

Idea?

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

Considering Chrome is Google's official release and Chromium is only supported by the public, it wouldn't surprise me if Chrome was slightly more functional.

I find Chrome stable enough to use it as my main browser (much faster too).
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wassm. »

Well, and i think that my bank account problem is definitely chrome-bug-yesterday i installed on one mac leopard chrome and the behaviour with that page is just the same as with the linux version.

Other than that-i run chrome/chromium on dell mini 9 and is noticeably faster than other browsers. And it didn´t crash even once...

I use now only google-chrome. This is error popin out in terminal when i activate e-banking applet:
[18106:18106:5989686400:ERROR:/usr/local/google/home/chrome-eng/b/slave/chrome-official-linux/build/src/webkit/glue/plugins/plugin_instance.cc(433)] Not implemented reached in NPError NPAPI::PluginInstance::GetServiceManager(void**)
Do i need here some webkit package?

mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

Thanks Red Wagon for this tip. Chrome running good. Even have the flash working, when I used chromium at that time the flash plugin was not working. So thanks again.

nbusy

Post by nbusy »

Hi,
I've installed google-chrome from unstable repository.
It's ok from stability point of view. But I've noticed that it's not that fast as it's windows version. Plus it doesn't open pdf files in the tab. The latter does not allow me to use it as the main and the only browser. Necessity to right click and save for every pdf makes it inconvenient. Firefox works well with pdf on the same system.
I'm on Elyssa / google-chrome 4.0.223.11 / acroread 9.2-1
P.S. At work under windows chrome works with pdf without any issues.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

I have been using Google's Chrome and getting the updates via Mint Update Manager.

Found the official Chrome Forum: http://chromehelpforums.com/

I like Chrome. It is fast and looks nice. But, I am still a FireFox fan. :mrgreen: Perhaps, someday Google will win me over to Chrome?
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

joe2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joe2 »

by Copa360 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:02 pm

An easier way - Go here:

Scroll down the page until you see the Linux section, then click on the appropriate .deb package (either 32 or 64-bit). It will then install Chrome on your system, plus add the Chrome repos so it stays up to date.

Worked like a charm for me!
Copa360
Level 2

Using it now! works perfect for the last ten minutes. Checked Flash... No Problem! Added a Theme... Again, No Problem. As long as the Linux Ver. works as well as Win ver. then I have a new browser...
BTW if your on the Fence... Try it, it is a huge difference... Explorer to Firefox change by ten! Simple, Fast, Solid... Uh and I don't work for Google, in fact up until a year ago I dis-liked Google.

subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

Life's little happy pleasures.

Just yesterday I was looking for the Linux version of Chrome only at their site they say Linux isn't available yet. Drop in here and find this thread and cool!

Chrome really is nice and fast. Firefox is great most times but, sometimes it is a resource hog and sometimes Flash knocks FF for a loop.
I've never had a chance to use Chrome yet. Be nice to try a new browser for a couple of days and see how it stacks up. :mrgreen:

Anthrogue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anthrogue »

An easier way - Go here:

Thanks... looks interesting

Anthrogue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Anthrogue »

Odd... I had it working great. Very fast.
...But today it takes forever to start and won't load pages, spinning its wheels forever

Return to “Non-technical Questions”