How To: Google Chrome for Linux

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
rufong
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How To: Google Chrome for Linux

Post by rufong »

Anthrogue wrote:Odd... I had it working great. Very fast.
...But today it takes forever to start and won't load pages, spinning its wheels forever
same for me. i reinstalled helena kde ce this morning in order to resolve the slo oow browsing..

Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

rufong wrote:
Anthrogue wrote:Odd... I had it working great. Very fast.
...But today it takes forever to start and won't load pages, spinning its wheels forever
same for me. i reinstalled helena kde ce this morning in order to resolve the slo oow browsing..
That's a bit drastic don't you think? :lol:

rufong
Level 2
Level 2

Post by rufong »

yes, but then i decided to reinstall helena main instead. and its GREAT to have back..

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Post by viking777 »

I just tried it for the first time on my 64bit Sidux install.

Very fast, excellent page rendering, flash etc all working but still more than a few problems for me.

First is, I tried three extensions, they all installed, but none of them worked. Second my internet banking site wouldn't even open the login page - "Browser not supported" - and I don't see anything like a user agent switcher. Third (perhaps not unusual given that it is google!) the cookie handling is lousy. There are only two options, accept or reject, neither of these is any use to me. I have FF and Opera set up to accept all cookies and then delete them all when the browser closes (except for the ones I want to keep as defined by the 'exceptions' window). This cannot be done in Chrome unless you do it manually. That alone makes it unusable as far as I am concerned, and 'incognito' browsing is not an acceptable substitute for me (because it deletes everything including the cookies you might want to keep). Neither is there any ad blocking that I could find (there might be an extension for this but as I said, they don't work). The last thing that I don't quite like is the lack of a 'speeddial' clone. It has thumbnails on your home page (if you elect to use the 'new tab' page as your home) but these are just history pages ie. the last 8 pages you opened not a favourites page. That is nowhere near as useful as the speeddial favourites page.

Pity because it is so much faster than other browsers - even loading the browser itself is faster, blink and you miss it!

EDIT. I found an adblocker and a speeddail and they both seem to work.
EDIT2. Until you shut the browser down. Then when you open it again they have stopped working (in the case of speeddial, it has gone?). Also I set my cookie prefs to 'block all' and it blocks absolutely nothing. This is really poor.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I have been going back and forth between Firefox 3.6, google-chrome-unstable, and chromium-browser, in Mepis 8. In Mint I am using only Firefox 3.6.

In my case, I installed google-chrome-unstable from the Mepis repos. I had to change the apt-pinning so that it would get updated and now it is at version Google Chrome 5.0.322.2 dev.

I installed chromium-browser, aka Chromium 4.0.249.43 (34537), from the Mepis Community Repositories.

Chrome is more polished than Chromium. They both might be faster than Firefox, but speed is not an issue here. Everything else works the way it should in Firefox, but that is not always the case in Chrome. They still need to smooth out the rough edges, in my opinion. I like using it, though. Sometimes, I really prefer using it instead of Firefox.

One of the issues that I would really like to see fixed is the lack of scroll-bar arrows. I think that I've read that this is only an issue with Chrome in Linux. It's a minor thing but it's kind of annoying.

The only extensions I'm using are AdThwart, Flashblock, Forecastfox, and Xmarks. These are all working fairly well now. I am getting some strange pop-ups at times, and also sometimes some ads slip through.

One other annoying issue is that the color of highlighted text is a bright blue, kind of obnoxious, not what highlighted text looks like in the rest of my applications, and I can't find a way to fix it.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”