I look forward to the day Mint is ready for prime-time

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
openletter
Level 1
Level 1

I look forward to the day Mint is ready for prime-time

Post by openletter »

Turned on my computer this morning to discover that Mint no longer detects my laptop's built-in monitor.

I know this stuff is tough, but it has been a really long time and when I read through things projects like Mint are working on to improve the UX, it doesn't seem like it includes solving these 20+ year-old problems of updates breaking basic functionality.

I'm sure after 5+ hours of troubleshooting I can get everything to function as expected, but even this old Linux enthusiast gets tired of dealing with this.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: I look forward to the day Mint is ready for prime-time

Post by Moem »

Do you want help with this, or did you just want to vent?
You posted in the Support area but there is no question or system information.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 10
Level 10

Post by lsemmens »

Maybe your laptop has died.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

rarsa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rarsa »

Moem wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:21 am
Do you want help with this, or did you just want to vent?
You posted in the Support area but there is no question or system information.
Unless the topic was moved, I see it is in the non technical questions forum and it has a question.

My answer to the open letter is: it's ready for prime time.

What you experienced could have happened in any other OS. Without more information it's hard to judge, however, issues as you describe, where the OS works and one day there is an error, usually have more to do with outdated hardware or hardware failure, user error and updated drivers.

A) outdated hardware: while the Linux community prides itself on being able to rescue old hardware, and does it better than other OSs, the longevity of support is not infinite unless you actually pay someone to support the older hardware.

Has anyone seen another cause for a sudden failure likes this? In more than 35 years using computers, I don't remember any.

B) Hardware failure, wether intermittent or permanent ain't the OSs responsibility.

C&D) User error or updated drivers: the solution is usually very simple if you properly configured timeshift on your main partition. Just go back to a time where it worked and voila!

Hopefully you tried restoring to an earlier time to see if it solves the problem.

Sorry about your problems, however:

Bottom line, Linux Mint, and in general Linux has been ready for prime time for a long long time, Not in vane it runs most of the IT infrastructure in the world.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

rarsa wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 6:30 am
Unless the topic was moved, I see it is in the non technical questions forum and it has a question.
What's the question?

It's in the Non-technical Questions subforum of the Main Edition Support area. In other words, a place for support. Which we are happy to try to give, if people bother to ask.

If no question comes up, that is fine too but I'll move the topic to the Chat area, where vents are welcome.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

M_aD
Level 4
Level 4

Post by M_aD »

openletter wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 am
Turned on my computer this morning to discover that Mint no longer detects my laptop's built-in monitor.

I know this stuff is tough, but it has been a really long time and when I read through things projects like Mint are working on to improve the UX, it doesn't seem like it includes solving these 20+ year-old problems of updates breaking basic functionality.

I'm sure after 5+ hours of troubleshooting I can get everything to function as expected, but even this old Linux enthusiast gets tired of dealing with this.
5+ hours of troubleshooting? Stick in a live usb stick and reinstall, you should be up and running in less than 30 minutes. Unless your laptop monitor died or graphics card even?

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Have you tried plugging in an external monitor? It's not all that uncommon for the cable between the motherboard and display to fail. I have several scraptops which need new cables.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi »

What :?: :?: :?:

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

The opening line in the OP states that the laptop monitor is not detected. We've no idea what steps have been taken to find the cause of this .. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

BG405 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:56 am
...scraptops...
Snort! :lol: Love it!
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 am
Me too, first saw that description here on LM Forums. :mrgreen:

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

BG405 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:42 pm
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:44 am
Me too, first saw that description here on LM Forums. :mrgreen:
There are a slew of BoobTube...er...YouTube videos on what you can make from scraptops (aka broken or just old laptops).

Back to the ranch...er...topic. Even though I feel there is plenty of room for improvements on Linux Mint, I also feel it's already ready for prime time and I'm the one who's not.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop

Return to “Non-technical Questions”