What is the most efficient way for LM to receive donations

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
rarsa
Level 1
Level 1

What is the most efficient way for LM to receive donations

Post by rarsa »

I searched the website and forums and didn't find an answer:

From the LM perspective, what is the most preferred way to receive regular money contributions? (Wether it's less fees, more certainty of income, etc)

I've contibuted before and was thinking starting a regular payments, but I wonder if it is better a monthly smaller donation or the equivalent annual donation. And if it's better PayPal (which I rather not use) or Patreon. I don't have cryptocurrency.

My goal is to ensure most of the money gets to Linux Mint.

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Re: What is the most efficient way for LM to receive donations

Post by AndyMH »

I donate monthly via patreon.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

This post makes me realise I have been forgetting to make a donation to Linux for a while now. :oops: Paypal works for me because it allows me to make international payments without having to own a creditcard.

I have been reading up on Patreon, of which I had never heard before (I am from Europe though) and Patreon seems to be American based. I think Patreon is a good initiative by making monthly payments the standard. This way of (smaller?) monthly contributions is a good way of providing a more stable income for creators I guess. I am gonna check if it is possible to make (smaller) but monthly payments as well with Paypal. I know it is possible within my country to make monthly payments, but unfortunately I cant donate monthly to LinuxMint with my countries bank account...

ptruchon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ptruchon »

Patreon is very convenient. I support a few other projects through it and so I wish that they'd offer lower monthly donations. Right now, the choices are only $5 and $20 / month so I keep having to turn it on and off to reach my yearly target.

smurphos
Level 16
Level 16

Post by smurphos »

ptruchon wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 1:25 am
I support a few other projects through it and so I wish that they'd offer lower monthly donations. Right now, the choices are only $5 and $20 / month so I keep having to turn it on and off to reach my yearly target.
You can customise your monthly payment amount via the 'Manage memberships' section of your account profile. I joined the $5 Tier for Mint, but then upped my monthly payment to $10.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

rarsa
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rarsa »

Thanks, I think I'll do Patreon

Return to “Non-technical Questions”