My ideas of making Mint really attractive

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
brennus
Level 1
Level 1

My ideas of making Mint really attractive

Post by brennus »

Hi all,
I've been using Mint since Elyssa and all I can say is that Mint is the best OS I've ever used. It's the future, and, I think, we are now using the OS that will eventually become the most popular OS in the world. Sounds naive? But why not?
Most of my friends switched to Mint after I demonstrated it to them... And I've also heard all those first impressions, first things that pop into minds of a windows user who has been shown Linux. And, of course, people first notice the appearance - it's natural, yes? And I think Mint should take the chance here... Let's make it look better than w7! So, my idea what Mint needs is the ability to change it's appearance easily. You know, very easily. The way the average user could instantly see that 'it's cool!' It gives a very big inpression to people... A large collection of non-outdated wallpapers (current ones haven't changed a lot, have they?), large collection of themes, an easily-changeable usplash, ability to change the appearance and layout of Mint Menu, things like that - I think it would be best to have an app for this, say, mintAppearance. That would like software manager download the previews of wallpapers, themes, uspalshes, etc. and let the user download the ones he likes instantly. And, of course, apply them in one click. I see vista and w7 took this way, and it's really an effective way to hunt for the new users - and most of them care about the appearance really much. I've seen lots of people who wouldn't use the system only because it doesn't look nice out of the box! So, wouldn't that be a great way for Mint to immediately gain an enourmous plus among other distros? I believe it would. It's all little things - little eye-candies that people like - they think these things make their system 'modern'. For example, automatically changing wallpapers. Included in w7 by default, and some people I know are going crazy for this kind of sh*t. But it attracts people, and when they stay with the system, later they start to get to know the system and value it for it's stability, ease of use, and other things that Mint has. :) What do You think?

SxFlare
Level 2
Level 2

Re: My ideas of making Mint really attractive

Post by SxFlare »

Isn't there a theme tab in the "Change Desktop Appearance" option when you right click the desktop? For Gnome at least.
Mint Menu can be customized with right clicking it and selecting "Edit menu" as well.
It's a nice idea, but the features are there, just not as easily found at first look, unless someone shows them
Or do you mean themes that synchronize all (MintMenu, Desktop Wallpaper, Themes, whatever else) into the same theme that has been chosen?
(EDIT: ok, not sure about usplash)

I think most people turn away from Linux because it's practically a necessity to know how to use command line based browsing in some situations, although mintinstall deals with a significant amount of that for those who use it.
From my experiences with working with people on computers (including those who are studying Operating Systems), it's just hard to comprehend using command lines (or even a single command line) when windows could do the same thing with a simple click for simple things such as browsing through a folder tree.
It's not only the ease of use that causes people to fall for windows (or eye-candy, but it helps), there have always been the issues of marketing and hardware/software compatibility.

Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nicki »

Hi brennus and SxFlare. You are both welcome to Mint and we hope that you will stay here.

Well you see, many people has the same ideas as you (and I'm not unfamiliarly to it) but we must realise at first that Linux is not Windows. And this means that we have other possibilities to the use it in a much better way.

For example, there is no need for anti-virus programs, firewall or de-fragment the files. This will let your system run more safe than Windows. 99 % of all programs are for free, they cost nothing.

And all this is made of enthusiasts all over the world for us. Even that we are in a minority of only 1 % of all computer users. So all things must take the time it needs to do. Microsoft is one of the richest company in the world. Why? You can count on that for your self.

When talking about the terminal, it can handle more precise operations than Windows can. If you have the time, you will see the possibilities.

So in the meantime, stay here and learn as much you can by follow the forum and read as much you can about Mint (or another distros).

If you still are missing something that you can get in Windows, you should be more comfortable to went back to Windows. But you should miss the great opportunity to be satisfied to help a new member to solve his problem and make him be happy to forever stay in the Linux world.

If you are not yet convinced, do as many of us do, install Mint in dualboot with Windows and use Windows for those programs you can't be aware of.

I am convinced to stay and learn more and more (even the terminal), even that I use Windows more less nowadays.

I am pleased that Mint is so attractive as it is. We look forward to help you.

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

brennus wrote:Most of my friends switched to Mint after I demonstrated it to them... And I've also heard all those first impressions, first things that pop into minds of a windows user who has been shown Linux. And, of course, people first notice the appearance - it's natural, yes? And I think Mint should take the chance here... Let's make it look better than w7
Most of my friends switched to Mint after I demonstrated it to them.
First, glad to hear that people can be persuaded, and that you are successful in persuading them.

And I think Mint should take the chance here...
I think windows OS might win that battle of the eye-candy type, since there will be more desktops sporting their themes/images, and it will then be assumed that they are the best available
It becomes almost a pointless exercise to try and compete with that mass of people who won't feel as we might, that Linux is better as a desktop OS

I have to tell you, that is not taking a chance
--it is simply providing a different theme, of which there are many; or creating your own, yes it can get involved to create a theme, but it is simple to change one that exists already..
http://wiki.guoshuang.com/Ubuntu_HowTo: ... ur_desktop
  • --creating a theme
Change a theme
mint menu>control center>Look and feel, adjust as desired
right-click empty space on desktop>Change desktop background; adjust as desired

You own colors, not just those in the theme
Install gnome color-chooser; adjust any colors as desired

In terminal, check
  • apt search color-chooser
    p gnome-color-chooser - GTK+/GNOME desktop appearance customization
And finally not everything that is in Mint has to prefaced with Mint
--that smacks of that Microsoft trick of pretending that their OS is an integrated whole instead of a patch kit for various components and parts; particularly prevalent in their Enterprise offerings (servers & services), when competing with the erstwhile competition..
--although it exists in all their markets

Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal »

Hi there. I think what you're looking for is the Appearance tab under Preferences, MintMenu > Preferences > Appearance. That is where you can change themes, backgrounds, icons, fonts, very easily. Although Mint comes with a limited selection of themes, if you're using the Main edition, you can get more from http://www.gnome-look.org Simply download the desired theme, then drag-and-drop it into the Appearance window. Check out the "Unofficial Linux Mint Desktop" thread to see many many examples of what people do to customise their Mints.

Mint doesn't come with a lot of themes because of space issues. Clem tries to keep the Main edition of a size that fits onto a CD, to be kinder to people who don't have high-speed connections.

Hope this helps :mrgreen:
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

SxFlare wrote:From my experiences with working with people on computers (including those who are studying Operating Systems), it's just hard to comprehend using command lines (or even a single command line) when windows could do the same thing with a simple click for simple things such as browsing through a folder tree.
(including those who are studying Operating Systems), it's just hard to..
I think that if true, just reflects the sad state of education; one presumes in Computer Science where Operating Systems/architectures are studied..
http://cs.nyu.edu/web/Academic/Graduate/courses.html
http://www-inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs162/fa09/
http://apps.carleton.edu/curricular/cs/courses/
http://www.cs.ucdavis.edu/courses/exp_c ... c/150.html
http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/portal.php ... n&group=31

Now Microsoft has realized their mistake in trying to make everything a gui (guified), which then becomes not just a fat client, but the fattest client (probably!)
http://blogs.msdn.com/PowerShell/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... S.85).aspx
  • Powershell..
--but by making it a .net framework application, they have missed or don't want the opportunity to make it a proper scripting system (independent); like python, Perl, ruby, which doesn't depend on Microsoft product mixes, that's natural as well, I will guess

dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dequire »

stevenspower wrote:I think changing the name to Mint OS would be a good change. Anything with Linux in it makes a lot of people flinch. Look at Google. They didn't call it Google Linux, but Google OS. "If it works, use it"
Good point here
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint

rich_roast
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rich_roast »

stevenspower wrote:I think changing the name to Mint OS would be a good change. Anything with Linux in it makes a lot of people flinch. Look at Google. They didn't call it Google Linux, but Google OS. "If it works, use it"
Makes me flinch, too, but not from any kind of fear of using a GNU/Linux system, just because it's unnecessary and doesn't roll off the tongue nicely. Just "Mint" would be fine, and I think it would be more assertive. +1 for dropping "Linux" from the name; its adequately clear from the user documentation and just about everything else that the Linux kernel is used. On a related note, could anyone clarify to me what's going on with the capitalization of the initial letter of the proper noun? Is it "mint" or "Mint"? If it's the latter, then why is it "mintMenu" and "mintUpdate" and "mintNanny" etc.?

lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lagagnon »

brennus wrote: - and most of them care about the appearance really much. I've seen lots of people who wouldn't use the system only because it doesn't look nice out of the box! So, wouldn't that be a great way for Mint to immediately gain an enourmous plus among other distros?
Personally I am not at all interested in having more shallow, eye-candy only users on this forum - there are enough of them already.

meskarune
Level 2
Level 2

Post by meskarune »

lagagnon wrote:
brennus wrote: - and most of them care about the appearance really much. I've seen lots of people who wouldn't use the system only because it doesn't look nice out of the box! So, wouldn't that be a great way for Mint to immediately gain an enourmous plus among other distros?
Personally I am not at all interested in having more shallow, eye-candy only users on this forum - there are enough of them already.
I don't think they mean eye-candy. Even people who use xmonad make it look nice. http://foobar10.deviantart.com/art/Xmon ... -143010944

Getting some nice wallpapers and themes together would be a great idea. I'm not really a huge fan of the current linux mint wallpaper selectons... And Icons should be worked on as well. I think linux is probably behind the most when it comes to icons.
The only limiting factor of the Linux operating system, is its user. -Linus Torvalds

Return to “Non-technical Questions”