Will there be support to 30 series Nvidia cards?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Will there be support to 30 series Nvidia cards?

Post by DoodMann »

Hi, been a while sunce I'm here. Scrolling the TechTok, (Yes. Tiktok but for tech) and heard that Nvidia will now release 30 series cards. My problem is that for people who is profession is editing, streaming, etc. would get support for these more powerful cards? Including the new 3090? Also, heard that 3080 will have the same price as 2080. So that's cool! Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
My System: ASUS K52F
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Will there be support to 30 series Nvidia cards?

Post by MrEen »

Short answer; Yes.

Longer answer; Eventually.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

thus, unlike the Windows System, which has individual drivers, for each piece of hardware.
this Linux System uses it's kernel, to do that task.

so, you would have to wait for an kernel update. that will support that particular hardware.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

DoodMann wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:36 pm Hi, been a while sunce I'm here. Scrolling the TechTok, (Yes. Tiktok but for tech) and heard that Nvidia will now release 30 series cards. My problem is that for people who is profession is editing, streaming, etc. would get support for these more powerful cards? Including the new 3090? Also, heard that 3080 will have the same price as 2080. So that's cool! Thanks!
the GTX 3070 according to nvidia will be as fast as a 2080ti for certain tasks. obviously there's a difference in the amount of RAM but for video editing and streaming it's worth considering this fact.

nvidia release proprietary drivers for linux, support for their cards is not solely linked to kernel or distribution maintainers. It's more when the nvidia developers get round to adding support for the card to their blobs. As and when they do that, the distribution specific package maintainers will be able to package them accordingly too. There may of course be a delay there so you can use the installer from the nvidia website instead.

nouveau support can be pretty much be dismissed for anything newer than Kepler and a few GM10x Maxwell chips.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Will this mean that the next kernel update will eventually get support for 30 series cards? Cool!
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

It's not quite that simple, LTS kernels will be supported by the driver itself too. First, the nvidia proprietary driver will be written to support certain distributions, kernels and xorg (for example see the linux system requirements for the nvidia driver matching your current card). Second, you would still need that driver installed, not just have the kernel and xorg packages meeting any dependencies of the driver.

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L ... ments.html
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

DoodMann wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:45 am Will this mean that the next kernel update will eventually get support for 30 series cards? Cool!
For cards that haven't even been released yet? Um, no. It'll take at least 6 months probably and then that may be just for rolling release distros. This is why I always recommend buying computers at discount places that sell last year's model at a discount for Linux.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:18 am
DoodMann wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:45 am Will this mean that the next kernel update will eventually get support for 30 series cards? Cool!
For cards that haven't even been released yet? Um, no. It'll take at least 6 months probably and then that may be just for rolling release distros. This is why I always recommend buying computers at discount places that sell last year's model at a discount for Linux.
it took them 15 months to get the proper drivers in for my laptop, dumb bunny, bought the latest and "greatest" with a BIOS date only 60 days old.

Never again.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

But, will it be worth the wait? Because if it gets imported here in my country, i'll buy the 3070. 6 months for Arch-based, and 15 months for LTS distros?
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

DoodMann wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am But, will it be worth the wait? Because if it gets imported here in my country, i'll buy the 3070. 6 months for Arch-based, and 15 months for LTS distros?
Arch-based? If you actually want bleeding edge you need real Arch, not "arch-based". ANd I would not rtecommend Arch to you.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:32 am ... it took them 15 months to get the proper drivers in for my laptop....
Remember how long it took to get OOTB support for HEVC video in Ubuntu/Mint?
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:14 am
DoodMann wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am But, will it be worth the wait? Because if it gets imported here in my country, i'll buy the 3070. 6 months for Arch-based, and 15 months for LTS distros?
Arch-based? If you actually want bleeding edge you need real Arch, not "arch-based". ANd I would not rtecommend Arch to you.
Well, I mean I have real Arch beside Mint and Windows, what's the difference of them though?
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Purely in terms of supported hardware down to driver releases available.

Slowest = Ubuntu is a long term support fixed release distribution, so you get older stable drivers that are fixed for the entire release. The exception being the end user adding newer ones themselves either from PPA or the nvidia tarballed installer package.

Almost as fast as windows for hardware support = Arch is a bleeding edge rolling distribution so you get the latest kernels and drivers immediately. Again, the end user is in control of this.

Fastest = Windows - the drivers are independently managed by the Vendor NVIDIA and their Geforce Experience program. Fairly idiot proof, it offers express installation or clean installation. I use express because it preserves my game profiles and so far it's not messed up.

What is pissing me off right now? The manufacturers and therefore retail sites posting partial details of cards with TBD for clock and bus speeds. I'm not in the business of selling hardware that is not fully decided upon and neither should they be.

All that is set in stone - the type and amount of onboard memory

The Titan class RTX 3090 is looking bonkers though because of the 24GB GDDR6X RAM (the X is a new generation of GDDR technology from Micron). The 3080 has 10GB GDDR6X, the 3070 uses last generation 8GB GDDR6 still.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Thanks for your answers, maybe it's worth the wait after all.
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

DoodMann wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:19 am ... I have real Arch beside Mint and Windows, what's the difference of them though?
The main differerence in practical terms is that at some time after an update your Arch will be broken, and I mean when, not if. You will need serious CLI recovery skills to fix it. And the people on the Arch user forum aren't going to hold your hand.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Well, I have an emergency LTS Kernel for Arch. So, might give it a try.
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

@DoodMan - NVIDIA have released Linux drivers for the RTX 3080 and RTX 3090 this week on their own download servers. They would have to be manually downloaded and installed because I doubt Ubuntu and therefore Mint will offer them until the next respective point release for each distribution at the earliest.

Driver Version: 455.23 - Release Date: 2020 September 17
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

Thanks! But, gotta grab the hardware first before the software. But, thanks for the info!
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

DoodMann wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:24 am Thanks! But, gotta grab the hardware first before the software. But, thanks for the info!
Yeah, good luck with that :lol:

Seems to be an issue with bots buying them and the owners of the bots selling them on eBay for stupid prices at the moment.
DoodMann
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DoodMann »

It's no problem here at the Philippines. The problem is when they're getting available. :lol:
Specs:
Intel i3 370 M
Intel HD Graphics
500GB Seagate HDD
Linux Mint 20.2

Return to “Non-technical Questions”