[Solved] Mint 20 Cinnamon kernel version updates

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mlacharles
Level 2
Level 2

[Solved] Mint 20 Cinnamon kernel version updates

Post by mlacharles »

As I understand it when Ubuntu releases 20.10, Ubuntu 20.04.2 point release will upgrade to that kernel. So it would be 5.4 to 5.48. Does Mint 20 follow that same pattern? Is it worth waiting for the end of October to install MInt 20 as to get the newer kernel?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Mint 20 Cinnamon kernel version updates

Post by JoeFootball »

mlacharles wrote:Does Mint 20 follow that same pattern?
LM leverages whatever kernels are made available from Ubuntu.

Edit: For clarity, Linux Mint 20.x leverages Ubuntu 20.04 for its codebase. If Ubuntu releases updates to kernels for Ubuntu 20.04, they will likewise be available for LM 20.x.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

mlacharles wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 pm Is it worth waiting for the end of October to install MInt 20 as to get the newer kernel?
That begs the question as to why you feel the need to get a newer kernel. If you've got an issue that you can't solve, you should ask for help, not ask roundabout questions.
mlacharles
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mlacharles »

In some previous iteration of Ubuntu a newer kernel made a difference for a hardware problem I was having. Updates wouldn't work to get the kernel and with my limited knowledge of linux I didn't know how to get it other wise. So I had to re-install a later point release of Ubuntu to get it. None of this may be relevant any more because things are done differently with point releases now. Or I got it wrong the first time. Or I don't have to worry since I'm currently not having any hardware problems. Since 20.04.2 comes out in a month I was trying to figure out if it's worth waiting to install Mint 20 to get the newer kernel just as a precaution.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

mlacharles wrote: Since 20.04.2 comes out in a month I was trying to figure out if it's worth waiting to install Mint 20 to get the newer kernel just as a precaution.
I don't think that makes a difference. You can always pick whatever available kernel you want to use via the Kernel Manager.
mlacharles
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mlacharles »

Thanks.
petermessi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Mint 20 Cinnamon kernel version updates

Post by petermessi »

Thanks JoeFootball for solving my query..it is pretty helpful to read
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am
mlacharles wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:15 pm Is it worth waiting for the end of October to install MInt 20 as to get the newer kernel?
That begs the question as to why you feel the need to get a newer kernel. If you've got an issue that you can't solve, you should ask for help, not ask roundabout questions.
OMG!!! What are you talking about?
If I don't get the latest bleeding edge testing experimental kernel, my laptop will burst into flames and I will be mocked by my family, friends...and even total strangers!!!

Return to “Non-technical Questions”