Any thoughts about upgrading this forum?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Any thoughts about upgrading this forum?

Post by cliffcoggin »

drlucas wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:44 pm
Congratulations for being able to insult the vast majoriy of the netizens in just a few words.
You're very welcome. Anything else I can enlighten you on?
Cliff Coggin
drlucas
Level 3
Level 3

Post by drlucas »

Nah, thanks, I had enough of your words of wisdom :)
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Some of the suggestions in this thread are available for phpbb through add-on modules. If I felt the need for them, I would help implement them. Many of them are on my "makes zero difference" list, a reason for not helping anyone to change the forum.

I have used nested replies and a few other things on other forums. They often become unreadable because you cannot work out the timeline of the replies.

The same happens with likes. In one popular programming forum, people upvote a "solution" that does not work reliably because the approach uses fashionable code. You cannot tell anything from the likes. What works better is to have someone say "this works for me on my ... machine using a ... wifi chip". I prefer the interaction on this forum to many other forums.

The search function is not effective but I usually search through google to also get Ubuntu solutions.
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Here's a case where a like button would save me having to say I agree with the above, except for the bit about likes. A Like is not the same as an up-vote.

But expanding on that: the character of a forum is pretty much defined by the default display option (some forums let you choose, but the majority will simply accept the default). Some forums want to be strictly technical, so up-voting and nested replies works to reduce general banter - but if you want to encourage a bit of social interaction, threads have to be chronological.

What you can't do is change the nature of an established forum. This could pretty much destroy the readability of existing threads, and put off existing users.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Please, please don't change the format. It is one of the better (best) forums I interact with. Plain, readable and everything works. And definitely a No to "likes".
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Dark Owl wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:13 am Here's a case where a like button would save me having to say I agree with the above, except for the bit about likes. A Like is not the same as an up-vote.
I'm having a hard time imagining a 'like' button that could show such nuance as your words convey: 'I agree with the above, except for the bit about...'
I think that your post neatly demonstrates the limitations of such buttons.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Dark Owl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dark Owl »

Moem wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:48 am I'm having a hard time imagining a 'like' button that could show such nuance as your words convey: 'I agree with the above, except for the bit about...'
If we had likes, that clause would not have been there to disagree with and a "like" would have done it.
Currently: Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit 5.8.4, AMD Ryzen5 + Geforce GT 710
Previously: LM20.3 LM20.2 LM20.1, LM20, LM20β, LM18.2
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

But then half of the information that your words conveyed here would be missing. I don't see that as an improvement.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

As mentioned previously I think the functionality of this forum works well asis, but having been reminded (by Schultz) a few days ago about userContent.css in Firefox I thought I'd have a little play.

I used the colours on the LM Blog as a baseline (I prefer the more subdued greens) and tried to cut down on some of the 'fussiness' in the forum design. Now, when I use FF to view the forum, I see it as per this image:

The CSS is as below. Would be interesting to see what others come up with if anyone else plays around with it:

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain(forums.linuxmint.com) {
	body {
		background-color: #5e7553 !important; 
		padding-top: 0px !important;
	}

.wrap { 
		max-width: 1100px !important; 
		background-color: #3a3a3a !important; 
		border: 0 !important; 
		padding: 0px 35px 35px 35px !important;
		border-radius: 0px !important;
	}

.headerbar {
		background-image: none !important;
		border-top-left-radius: 0px !important;
		border-top-right-radius: 0px !important;
		margin-bottom: 10px !important;
		padding-top: 15px !important;
		padding-bottom: 20px !important;
	}

.site_logo {
		background-image: url("https://i.imgur.com/gzwK3tM.png") !important;
		width: 60px !important;
		height: 60px !important;
   	 }

.navbar {
		border: 0 !important;
		color:#ffffff !important;
	}

.navbar a {
		color:#ffffff !important;
	}

ul.navlinks {
		border-top: 0px !important;
		border-bottom: 1px solid #86be43;
	}

ul.dropdown-contents a {
		color: #3a3a3a !important;
	}

.notification_text {
	}

.notification-block {
	}

.time {
		color: #ffffff !important;
	}

h2.ucp-title, h2.posting-title a {
	}

a.mark-read, a.mark {
	}

.rules {
		display: none !important;
	}

.forabg {
		margin-bottom: 15px !important;
		background-image: none !important;
		background-color: #5e7553 !important;
		font-size: 1.1em !important;
		color: #3f3f3f !important;
		}

.page-body .forum-title h2, .page-body .forum-title a {
	}

.topic-title a {
	}

.post {
		margin-top: 10px !important;
	}

.postbody {
		padding: 10px !important;
	}

.pagination {
	}

.jumpbox-return a {
	}

.headerspace {
		padding: 3px 10px 10px 10px !important;
	}

.online-list, .statistics {
		padding: 3px 10px !important;
	}

.headerspace, .online-list, .statistics {
		background-color: #C4DCAB !important;
		border-radius: 7px !important;
		margin-bottom: 15px !important;
	}

.footer-row, .footer-row a {
	}
}
(The '!important' attributes are used to make sure these rules take precedence over the inherent CSS).
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

TBH, I think the forum is fine. I don't understand when people say things like "it looks dated" etc. Like change just for the sake of change is of value. :?

If it works well, and it does, then energy can be put to fixing things that maybe actually need it.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Yep like slaying vampires :)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Buffy wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:22 pm TBH, I think the forum is fine. I don't understand when people say things like "it looks dated" etc. Like change just for the sake of change is of value. :?

If it works well, and it does, then energy can be put to fixing things that maybe actually need it.
I sort of tend to agree, but after my little exercise with the CSS I'm sticking with it now. I find it's a bit more relaxing on the eyes, a little less harsh and the lower contrast between the text and the white background also helps. I'm happy :)
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

Yeah yours looks nice; being able to theme things is IMHO a useful thing. :)

I added on mine and it really does look nice! \o/
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

the lower contrast between the text and the white background also helps.
I might use your trick to improve readability by increasing the text contrast from grey on white to black on white.
Switch

Post by Switch »

Forum veteran and moderator @Pierre's signature inspired me to add my 2 cents. His signature first:

Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

I think it's pretty reasonable to expect from a forum engine in this day and age (whichever forum engine you choose) to list all the fresh, hot, active topics under a special tab. This certainly helps making people more engaged. Otherwise, what am I really supposed to do? Go into every sub forum and see what's new there? That's not what I would call modern and time conscious, meanwhile the world has certainly been offering more adequate solutions for this problem.
Last edited by Switch on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

Clicking on the 'Hamburger' (Quick Links) icon on the left hand side of the Forum gives you that option..
topic.png
topic.png (19.02 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Switch

Post by Switch »

RIH wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:24 pm Clicking on the 'Hamburger' (Quick Links) icon on the left hand side of the Forum gives you that option..
Fair enough. But I suppose if it wasn't self evident to me it probably isn't self evident to others either. Meanwhile other forums make a similar functionality much more self evident. Going further I call this a bad user interface design.
Switch

Post by Switch »

drlucas wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:43 pm I really love Mint and this forum. The members and managers/admins are quite helpful and friendly and I truly appreciate all the help and good will.
I was wondering why this forum looks so unattractive (IMHO) and old, no offence. Especially compared with such a polished and well made product.
Even the lack of likes/karma/rating/thanks-meter alone, features that motivate quality and helpful answers, is a good enough reason to consider upgrading. I believe that a better forum will attract a lot more users and Mint adpoters as well as a lot more activity of exisiting users.
Have you considered upgrading it to a more modern, user-friendly and attractive BB? (such as vBulletin or my personal favorite Invision)?
I've just listened to an interview with Ubuntu MATE founder Martin Wimpress (and Solus founder Ikey Doherty and elementary OS founder Daniel Fore) by Lunduke & Whatnot (yes, that interview) and boy/girl, I have almost immediately jumped ship to Ubuntu MATE just for benefit of their modern and engaging forum. But I'm not a distro hopper so I stay. Maybe I'm too easy to impress? (OK, they have a slick, contemporary design too. For someone who promotes a retrospective future. A retrospective future on the Raspberry Pi, too.)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

coconut00 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:32 am Forums are not as popular now as they used to be. Now there are many platforms where people can not only communicate, but also have fun, show their lives, and make more money on it. Owners need to find ways to get people to use the forums to keep them popular.
Have you seen how many new topics get posted here every day? It's a lot. This is a technical forum with a clear function: not to have fun, show your life, or make money, but to help each other solve problems with Linux Mint. It's as popular as it needs to be, seeing that many people know where to find us every day.

Your comment sounds very generic, and not aimed at this specific forum at all. In fact, you have not posted anything about Linux Mint at all. I will not be surprised if you start posting spam links on each of your existing postings.

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

antikythera wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:25 pm
drlucas wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:52 pm Abused? Never seen them being abused on technical forums...
I have on a couple of sites. On one of which the system was on trial and was very quickly disabled again (old manjaro forum) :lol:
I've also seen it happen.
Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald on Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeannie

To ensure the safety of your data, you have to be proactive, not reactive, so, back it up!

Return to “Open Chat”