If I was to look for Ubuntu advice...

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobertX
Level 4
Level 4

If I was to look for Ubuntu advice...

Post by RobertX »

Can I find it here, or would Ubuntuforums be a better place?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: If I was to look for Ubuntu advice...

Post by revmacian »

RobertX wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:22 am Can I find it here, or would Ubuntuforums be a better place?
Ubuntu forums would be the best place for advice about Ubuntu.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Hey-LinuxMint is based on Ubuntu and most inquiries wil be equal. Mint has some special features that would be best
addressed here, but for general inquiries Ubuntu forums will often provide answers applicable to Mint also.
Best advice--look for posts in all these forums to obtain your answer. We all do that.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

ubuntuforums.org and askubuntu.com are the best Linux support sites I've ever used. In fact I've gotten probably 90% if my useful support info fro MInt from them. Like all forums, you have to know how to phrase the questions right and clearly to get results.

I don't agree that the advice here is equivalent for Ubuntu, Mint is ubuntu based but it's NOT identical.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Depends on what you're asking about. I'd say ask here, just in-case, since you're already registered and Mint is based on Ubuntu, but your best bet will be the Ubuntu message board. Put it this way, they're similar enough that I'm here, despite not using Mint as my main distribution, granted I'm more here for the awesome community and the chance to help people, but still. :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RobertX wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:22 am Can I find it here, or would Ubuntuforums be a better place?
You can find it here, if it's already posted (in other words, if the advice you need also applies to Mint, which will very often be the case). But please don't post any Ubuntu questions here, and I'm saying this in my role of moderator.

Another option is https://www.linuxquestions.org/

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Long answer:

I use an Ubuntu-based distribution, but come here for the awesome people and to help out now and then. Linux Mint is also based on Ubuntu. While the vast majority of things in Linux Mint (and other Ubuntu-based distributions) will translate very well to Ubuntu with GNOME (what Canonical ambiguously call 'Ubuntu') or a variation like Xubuntu, but not everything.

However, as I've observed, this board is first and foremost a Linux Mint support forum, not an Ubuntu support forum. If you come here asking for help for a different distribution, however similar, you may find that you get some undesired responses. You could check out the Ubuntu support forums, but honestly, I prefer it here — nicer community. :)

Quick answer:

This isn't the place.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”