BleachBit (Resolved)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

BleachBit (Resolved)

Post by GELvdH »

How useful is BleachBit in the real world, not the advertising hype. It shows as being compatible with LM 19.x but not 20.0 although it says it is compatible with Ubuntu 20.04.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: BleachBit

Post by Moem »

I do not use it and I have never felt a need for it.
Can you formulate what purpose you feel it might serve for you?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

BleachBit is a software wrecking ball that should be avoided by everybody in all cases.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I thought it sounded like a "wrecking" ball. Thanks.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: BleachBit (Resolved)

Post by jimallyn »

BleachBit is mentioned fairly often on those forums, usually in the form of "I ran BleachBit on my computer and now I have problems X, Y, and Z. What can I do?" GrubCustomizer is another one in that same category. I had it installed on several of my computers, and when I needed to make some changes outside of GrubCustomizer, I found I was up the proverbial creek without a paddle. There is a great list of things to NOT do here:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... takes.html
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

In general if coming from a Windows background it sounds like being a Mint version of CCleaner (which is a great Windows tool, or was in it's older version). However it is setup by default to be more dangerous to your system when compared to CCleaner and you NEVER want to run it 'as root'.

It can be used safely (i've been using it since running Mint and never had it cause a major problem (yet)) but you only want to select Browser tick boxes (in my case i have Chromium and Firefox tick boxes selected) and Rubbish Bin. That more or less gives you a CCleaner like default cleaning option and after a day of general internet use you will remove around 200-800MB of data with those options.

This is not an endorsement of Bleachbit, just how i use it. Most of the experienced Mint users will rightly tell you it is dangerous (as it is if you run all the cleaning options it can be made to do) and on Pjtor's website he has steps on how to clean your system safely under Mint etc:

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

I'm used to use BleachBit quite aggressively on dozens LM, Debian and other systems during last five years and don't get any damage. Anyway you need to understand every operation being performed. It does not to take anything away from Piotr's highly recommended Tips How to Clean Linux Mint Safely which can do many thing that BleachBit can't.
-=t42=-
GNULinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GNULinux »

t42 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:20 am I'm used to use BleachBit quite aggressively on dozens LM, Debian and other systems during last five years and don't get any damage. Anyway you need to understand every operation being performed. It does not to take anything away from Piotr's highly recommended Tips How to Clean Linux Mint Safely which can do many thing that BleachBit can't.
i think u can use stacer also its a good app and safer too
hp 250-G6 Notebook PC 15.6"
intel core i3-7020u 4GB DDR4 RAM 1TB Hard Disk (1.5 Yrs old)
Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa"
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Manual cleaning is your best bet BUT it can be dangerous also
firemind
Level 1
Level 1

Post by firemind »

I see it as a useful tool but one used with caution. Stick to cleaning "cache and trash" as a normal user and to shredding the odd file from your home folder. Don't use it as root and be aware of what you are trying to do. It makes cleaning up junk easier.

I used ccleaner for years in Windows and never had a problem because I avoided all of the fancy registry/etc cleaners and stuck to the basics.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”