C++ related questions (how to.s) where to look?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hobbyit

C++ related questions (how to.s) where to look?

Post by Hobbyit »

I'm new to the forum and looking to discuss programming issues. If this is the wrong foru.m I need to know
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: C++ related questions (how to.s) where to look?

Post by Hoser Rob »

If you're new to programming C/C++ is one of the worst languages to start with. It's not even a high level language, more a high level assembler, and just knowing the syntax isn't going to help you as much as you may think. At the local univ. they never teach it in 1st year courses. Better to start with pyhton or perl.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I wouldn't touch perl - got a book on it and decided it wasn't for me. Python would be a better, more mainstream choice. Me - I'm niche, I use pascal, has an excellent ide in lazarus.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
TD15

Post by TD15 »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 am If you're new to programming C/C++ is one of the worst languages to start with. It's not even a high level language, more a high level assembler, and just knowing the syntax isn't going to help you as much as you may think. At the local univ. they never teach it in 1st year courses. Better to start with pyhton or perl.
We start in first year uni learning C, for 3 semesters straight. At first it was hard but I got used to it.
TD15

Post by TD15 »

Hobbyit wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:10 am I'm new to the forum and looking to discuss programming issues. If this is the wrong foru.m I need to know
I think stackoverflow is more suited for programming issues. I can probably help too if it is a C related question.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The forum has a brand new "Programming & Development" section in which any related questions would fit nicely.

And as to a bit of the above commentary... the phrasing C/C++ tends to be useless: while C may be a subset of C++ and while the two languages share basic syntax, the programming language C++ when used in the manner it is supposed to be used, object-orientedly, has little whatsoever to do with the programming language C and most, most certainly not with "high-level assembler". C may be (somewhat) realisticly referred to as such but C++ may not, period: is a prime example of why that phrasing "C/C++" tends to be useless.
TD15

Post by TD15 »

rene wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:20 pm The forum has a brand new "Programming & Development" section in which any related questions would fit nicely.
I thought that "Programming & Development" section is more about the OS development.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

The Development board-section used to be all about specifically Mint-development indeed; when it changed a short while ago I myself suggested promoting Scripts & Bash (which had been functioning as a sort-of programming catch-all anyway) to Programming & Scripting but an alternative approach was used in which Scripts & Bash was retained as is and the former multiple Development forums were merged into one with general "Programming" tacked on.

I still think my suggestion was better but it has likely to do with how one interprets the word "script". As "automation" as in bash-scripts or (more) full-blown "programming" as in Python-scripts. But potato potahto...

Return to “Non-technical Questions”