[SOLVED] EVOwise

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CliveMcCarthy
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] EVOwise

Post by CliveMcCarthy »

Evowise always comes top when I look for a mirror. Why is this? The company is based in Bucharest, Romania. How is it possible that they have the fastest speed? I'm suspicious. I only use mirrors from US university math departments.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
First program written in Algol for a KDF9 (just look up KDF9 on Wikipedia).
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: EVOwise

Post by Pierre »

that EVOwise company seems to have servers all over the Entire World.
8)

but, for those that do reside in the USofA then you really should select an server,
that is the closest to Your Actual State.
- - everyone else should simply select the Fastest Mirror, which may not actually be the closest mirror.
they are often, quite unstable, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

CliveMcCarthy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:35 am Evowise always comes top when I look for a mirror. Why is this? The company is based in Bucharest, Romania. How is it possible that they have the fastest speed? I'm suspicious. I only use mirrors from US university math departments.
-- Perhaps Evowise has local physical servers nearest to your area such as mine also. Most often Evowise is the fastest Main & Base Mirror selection. But I purposely change back occasionally to the Linux Mint for Main and different one for Base just to ensure I'm not missing any updates that I need or care to try. Remember that just because the company name that owns/maintains a server farm is based in a completely different country or continent, that doesn't mean that all or their only server farm is that far away either --
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

CliveMcCarthy wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:35 am Evowise always comes top when I look for a mirror. Why is this? The company is based in Bucharest, Romania. How is it possible that they have the fastest speed? I'm suspicious. I only use mirrors from US university math departments.
There's no reason to be suspicious but there may be reason to not use it. Evowise is a content delivery network, and it is an approved Ubuntu mirror otherwise it wouldn't be listed at all, and while it may be fast, it also appears to be quite unreliable, coming and going at random. I've had nothing but connection issues using it so I now I don't.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:21 am it also appears to be quite unreliable, coming and going at random. I've had nothing but connection issues using it so I now I don't.
I concur and use University of Kent mirrors which seem to be the most reliable ones in the UK. They are usually synchronised within a few hours of updates being pushed to the Mint and Ubuntu ones too.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I find that EVOwise servers though almost always the fastest seem to go down a lot here. So I normally choose the closest university server near me.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Add me to the list for "fast but unreliable" experiences with EVOwise. Look elsewhere.
CliveMcCarthy
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Re: EVOwise fast but unreliable

Post by CliveMcCarthy »

Thank you for all your responses. I see that my suspicion was not without merit. EVOwise is an advertising company, perhaps this is simply a cheap way of getting attention. :roll:
First program written in Algol for a KDF9 (just look up KDF9 on Wikipedia).

Return to “Non-technical Questions”