Video editing and rendering difference Linux Windows 10

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nederland
Level 1
Level 1

Video editing and rendering difference Linux Windows 10

Post by Nederland »

Hi all,

I'm an enthusiasts motorbike rider and for safety matters i'm filming my daily route from home to work and back. Now and then i edit those movies to shorten them and pick out some amazing stuff i saw during my ride or missed but my action cam recorded it

Normally i edit those movies using Piviti (not sure if this is a good choice) and at a few days ago i edited and rendered a movie under Windows 10 using the standard video editor tool.

Here's what i have noticed:
Linux: editing the movie under Piviti and then render it to a mp4 file. For 10 minutes movies took Piviti like 6-8 hours of render time (???)
Windows: editing the movie and then render it to a mp4 file. Took that very plain basic editor just a few minutes to render a 10 minutes movie (!!!!)

Curious i was i looked the internet for an explanation but could'n find it.

So, here my question:
Why does Linux/Piviti take like for ever to render a 10 minutes movie into a mp4 file and why does that simple plain basic video editor of Windows only a few minutes to do the same job??
sydbat
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Video editing and rendering difference Linux Windows 10

Post by sydbat »

I've used kdenlive for years and find it quite good for putting together video. It has never taken more than a short while to render into mp4 (or any other format), unless it is a long video. For a 10 minute video, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

I suggest trying out kdenlive and see if it works well for you. It's in the repos (software manager).
This is a signature. It is original.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I've never noticed any difference in rendering time in Linux vs. Windows on the same machine.

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but searching "linux pitivi backend" tells me it uses gstreamer.

You may not have installed the 3rd party codecs when you installed Mint. Try installing the package mint-meta-codecs.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Nederland
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nederland »

1) i'm running Mint+Xfce which i don't want to mess up with any KDE libraries/applications and so on.

2) i have all multimedia codecs installed!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Nederland,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. Obviously hardware and software (OS and apps and their settings) will have an impact on video editing.

Big +1 for using Kdenlive and or another Linux video editor. Installing some KDE packages will not mess up your Linux Mint system. You can download and use the Kdenlive AppImage without installing the KDE dependencies.

Download | Kdenlive
https://kdenlive.org/en/download/

Some other Linux video editors: Shotcut, OpenShot, Olive, Lightworks (LWS), Cinelerra, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Post by djph »

Nederland wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:43 am Why does Linux/Piviti take like for ever to render a 10 minutes movie into a mp4 file and why does that simple plain basic video editor of Windows only a few minutes to do the same job??
Could be a simple answer of "because you're using Pitivi". Had a similar experience with it recently taking forever and a day with like a 2 or 3 minute video (2-3 hours or something silly). Tried another option (I think openshot), and the render took under 10 minutes.
Nederland
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nederland »

djph wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:59 pm Could be a simple answer of "because you're using Pitivi". Had a similar experience with it recently taking forever and a day with like a 2 or 3 minute video (2-3 hours or something silly). Tried another option (I think openshot), and the render took under 10 minutes.
If that is the correct answer i wish everything was that simple! Never thought of that... I'll try Openshot then.

Maybe make a sort of test, create a 1 minute movie and have both Piviti and Openshot render it, and find out who does the job the quickest.

I'll keep you all informed!
Preda
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Preda »

It might have been a one-time situation because normally there is no significant difference in time between these two. You should do it several times, just to see if it is a systemic problem. The general rule is that the faster your computer's CPU the faster your rendering will complete. Therefore, for shorter rendering times, a faster CPU is better. Similar situations can occur when you template design. The difference is that when working with template design, you have the chance to use an editor that can do the entire job for you, whilst editing a video requires your direct involvement.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”