cinnamon issue and support

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mint-maniac
Level 1
Level 1

cinnamon issue and support

Post by mint-maniac »

Might sound like a stupid question but mint 19.3 is still being supported but when I just posted a question about a bug I'm seeing on the cinnamon desktop to github, the response I got was:

Nemo draws the icons, your logs show no nemo problems.
Feel free to reopen if you can reproduce the issue on Mint-20.1 as nemo-4.4.x is EOL

So it appears mint 19.3 is supported but subsystems in it aren't????? Something in that doesn't sound right...

I tried upgrading to 20.1 on this machine and ran into issues so had to roll back.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: cinnamon issue and support

Post by MrEen »

If 4.4.x is indeed EOL, there should be a Nemo update in your Update Manager. I don't use Cinnamon, so I can't say if that'll be there.

EDIT: And looking in my Software Manager running 19.3 I see Nemo 4.4.3+tricia available. Seems odd to me.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Mint 19.3's Cinnamon packages won't get updated to the latest version or receive any further updates. You will get security updates for everything else including kernels etc. but no Cinnamon related packages. Just like if you were running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS, you wouldn't get Plasma 5.21.

You'd need to upgrade to Mint 20/20.1 or switch to LMDE4 to get the latest build of Cinnamon that is not EOL.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

antikythera wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:06 pm Mint 19.3's Cinnamon packages won't get updated to the latest version or receive any further updates. You will get security updates for everything else including kernels etc. but no Cinnamon related packages. Just like if you were running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS, you wouldn't get Plasma 5.21.

You'd need to upgrade to Mint 20/20.1 or switch to LMDE4 to get the latest build of Cinnamon that is not EOL.
This. We don't continue to develop these versions. Just the current one. If you look at all the supported versions of Mint that would be maintaining far too many branches. I think the one exception would be if there was a very major, especially security, bug.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

JosephM wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:36 pm This. We don't continue to develop these versions. Just the current one. If you look at all the supported versions of Mint that would be maintaining far too many branches. I think the one exception would be if there was a very major, especially security, bug.
From a development perspective, that's common sense. There are other justifications for developing only the current version though. The main other justification, I think, is the stability inherent in an LTS release. I'm in the process of moving a few machines that remain on KDE neon to Cinnamon 20.1 because of instability.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

mint-maniac wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:51 pm I tried upgrading to 20.1 on this machine and ran into issues so had to roll back.
So what are we to make of your comment? Nobody here can help you if you don't ask.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

The main other justification, I think, is the stability inherent in an LTS release.
Exactly. And often fixing an issue is not a simple little thing. It can involve quite a few changes because there is a fundamental issue with how it works. And this can bring new bugs of it's own.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”