Great Books to explain all of the commands - (SOLVED)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cherock1254
Level 1
Level 1

Great Books to explain all of the commands - (SOLVED)

Post by cherock1254 »

Are their any good to great books that explain and show how to use in Command Line interface form and explains it in Simple form?
Last edited by SMG on Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Locking old topic.
Clois Beckwith = cherock@startmail.com
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Great Books to explain all of the commands

Post by deck_luck »

The Linux Command Line by William Shotts is a good resource. The PDF book is free to download. I am sure others forum members will come alone with additional suggestions. I know Moem recommends a site that is quite animated, but I cannot remember the site.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
cherock1254
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Great Books to explain all of the commands - Solved

Post by cherock1254 »

This book is fantastic and Well written. I am enjoying this book already. Thank You, Mr Luck !!! I am closing this out as solved. This manual is all I need right now. Great Choice.
Clois Beckwith = cherock@startmail.com
lax luthior
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Great Books to explain all of the commands - (SOLVED)

Post by lax luthior »

Thanks very much. 555 pages, wow, I wish I had information this good back when I started Linux 6 years ago. Did a year or so of Zorin which had little if any documentation at the time. Then a few years with Ubuntu where I was in way over my head. Nothing sketchy about this tome.
LittleScriptMan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Great Books to explain all of the commands

Post by LittleScriptMan »

deck_luck wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:03 pm I know Moem recommends a site that is quite animated, but I cannot remember the site.
At the time I was only an anonymous reader of the forum, she recommended in one of her posts :
https://linuxjourney.com/

I remember it because one of my suggestions for my Xmas present was the Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible from Richard Blum & Christine Bresnahan which has a bit more than 1000 pages and was a recommended resource of this very site.
It is very interesting and begins with general consideration of what lays behind the curtains of a Linux OS. There's many to learn and discover ; the only problem is that it takes about the first third of the book, so you don't immediately script or use commands if you're progressive. I feel it's worth however to understand some aspects of the OS if you want to use powerful commands with success.
But it is not free...
Interests : Firefox, Cinnamon & Bash Scripts
LM Version : LMDE5 (LMDE4 just in case)
KimirSan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Great Books to explain all of the commands - (SOLVED)

Post by KimirSan »

This might be a closed question, but I can't help but add some books which helped me a lot at the time
1)The Linux Pocket Guide: Essential Commands.
2) The Linux Command Line.
3) Linux for Beginners: An Introduction to the Linux Operating System and Command-Line.
4) The Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible, 3rd Edition.
It is very important to find the right and understandable literature at the beginning of your journey, otherwise, everything can seem too complicated and intimidating. I hope you have already understood a lot of things, but if you need to, you can always go back to the basics.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”