Will Linux Mint 21 have PipeWire support? It should atleast be optional.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Will Linux Mint 21 have PipeWire support? It should atleast be optional.

Post by Hugh Neutron »

Hello, I would like to know if Linux Mint 21 has plans for adopting https://pipewire.org/ as a successor replacement for PulseAudio? For those that don't know, PipeWire is a project that aims to greatly improve handling of audio and video under Linux.

PipeWire is Red Hat technology. When it comes to Linux; Red Hat runs the show. Refusing to keep up with their open source innovation is a one way ticket to becoming an obscure distro. PipeWire is a new low level audio system designed to succeed Pulse Audio. Pipewire will pave the way for multimedia production on Linux. (something it has historically and still to this day has been bad at). I want Linux and open source to be better at Multimedia production and I am sure others do as well.

PipeWire includes

Capture and playback of audio and video with minimal latency.

Real-time Multimedia processing on audio and video.

Multiprocess architecture to let applications share multimedia content.

Seamless support for PulseAudio, JACK, ALSA and GStreamer applications.

Sandboxed applications support. See Flatpak for more info.

---

Sure, I know it will be possible to manually build PipeWire on any modern distro, but if Linux Mint cares about HQ desktop experience for real world work you guys should consider adopting PipeWire in the next major release. Pay close attention to Fedora 34 as they are pioneering it.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: PipeWire, not PireWire.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Will Linux Mint 21 have PireWire support? It should atleast be optional.

Post by MrEen »

As Ubuntu 21.04 will have PipeWire, it's a mostly safe bet that Mint 21 will as well. Almost everything sound related in Mint comes from Ubuntu.

That said, it's still buggy software, and I'd be surprised if Ubuntu implemented it properly at first. But there's a year of testing it before Mint 21 comes out so we can hope a lot of the kinks are worked out by then. But it's already 4 year old software and is still in the beta stage really.

It's just my opinion, but there are too many changes happening in the sound subsystem all at once to have any hope of getting it all right in a decent amount of time. And right now, PipeWire is just another layer that will still be on top of PulseAudio (or JACK) presently (yes, it may replace them down the road, but not yet) which sit on top of ALSA. Trying to find the source of sound issues is just going to become much more difficult to troubleshoot. :?
scott8035
Level 1
Level 1

Post by scott8035 »

I think you're over-estimating RedHat's reach. In the enterprise, they may rule the roost, but that said, the internet runs on a huge number of Debian-based systems, too. If it weren't for the hosting market's use of the free but now obsolete CentOS, not that many people would have exposure to RedHat. Compare the number of Fedora users to the number of Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/etc. users for a comparable example on the desktop.

IBM owns RedHat now, and in many circles that may as well have been the kiss of death.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Will Linux Mint 21 have PipeWire support? It should atleast be optional.

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Fixed a lot of misspellings. Things are clearer and easier to search for if you don't call PipeWire 'PireWire'.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

scott8035 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:49 pm I think you're over-estimating RedHat's reach. In the enterprise, they may rule the roost, but that said, the internet runs on a huge number of Debian-based systems, too. If it weren't for the hosting market's use of the free but now obsolete CentOS, not that many people would have exposure to RedHat. Compare the number of Fedora users to the number of Debian/Ubuntu/Mint/etc. users for a comparable example on the desktop.

IBM owns RedHat now, and in many circles that may as well have been the kiss of death.
You resurrected a topic which had been dormant for 18 months. LM21 has now been released so speculation on what might happen is no longer relevant.

Locking the old topic.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”