The next linux mint

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

The next linux mint

Post by JesseRBassett »

Hello,
I know Linux Mint 20.1 just got released. However I am curious if there is any news on the new features being considered for the next upgrade? And also when we could expect it?
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
djph
Level 7
Level 7

Re: The next linux mint

Post by djph »

nothing yet.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

The best place to keep an eye on if you want to know what's in the future for Mint is the Linux Mint Blog.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The next version of Linux Mint will include whichever features the developers felt were important enough to include. it will be ready when it's ready.

Same as always.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You're talking about a minor point release (20.1 to 20.2), those are mostly for better compatibility with newer hardware. There may be some new features but hard to say yet, as mentioned.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Each release is roughly 6 months apart. So, 20.2 might be around July or August.

Every 2 years is a new major version, since it will typically follow the latest Ubuntu LTS base.

There hasn't yet been a particular exact format for new or big changes, because if something is being developed there's really no reason to have to wait potentially a year and a half(or just year) only to release it during the next major version. The major version change seems to typically show quite a bit of changes, but there are other releases where significant changes or software have been introduced.

The perfect answer to all your questions here is the blog that Moem mentioned. There is a monthly post no-matter-what, it seems, -around the 1st of the month, give or take some days. And there are other posts, typically when beta or releases are introduced. The monthly post often includes talk about interesting developments.

But nothing outstanding has been mentioned recently as far as developments.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Code: Select all

it will be ready when it's ready
In other news....water is wet. Was that really necessary? -_- Jesse just asked a simple question and he's new here. It's not like he spammed " Are we there yet?"
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
JesseRBassett
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JesseRBassett »

@motorzyen,
Thank you for that comment. I was just inquiring...not intentionally "spamming".
Sincerely,
Jesse R Bassett

My PC Specs:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1B828140 ... ot&o=OneUp
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

motoryzen wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:52 pm

In other news....water is wet. Was that really necessary? -_- Jesse just asked a simple question and he's new here. It's not like he spammed " Are we there yet?"
It's not derogatory, but it's one of the official release models for Linux:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22it%2 ... rsQ4dUDCA0

Typically, this release model makes the most sense for small dev teams. Most small distro's that I know of, apply it still. But if I recall correctly, Ubuntu was the first big distro that applied strictly planned releases.

You might call Mint semi-planned, because there are normally only a couple of months between the release of a new Ubuntu LTS and the release of the Mint that's based on it.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

JesseRBassett wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:01 am I was just inquiring...not intentionally "spamming".
No worries, no one thinks that you were. See Pjotr's comment and you'll understand why 'it will be ready when it's ready' is not at all personal, and not even rude... even if it may sound like that when you hear it for the first time.

Also please note that you got other replies beside that one. :)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

In other news....water is wet. ....
Actually it's not really "water is wet". Ubuntu follows a fixed release schedule, which IMO is not a good idea in Linux. Part of the reason that Debian Stable is the most stable distro (except possibly for RHEL Enterprise) is that they don't put out a new stable until it's damn good and ready.

I've seen some new Ubuntu releases that had the stupidest bugs. Nothing I couldn't work sround but I had to wonder how it got released like that.

Mint does not use a fixed release schedule and is better for it.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

Hoser Rob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:26 am

In other news....water is wet. ....
Actually it's not really "water is wet". Ubuntu follows a fixed release schedule, which IMO is not a good idea in Linux. Part of the reason that Debian Stable is the most stable distro (except possibly for RHEL Enterprise) is that they don't put out a new stable until it's damn good and ready.

I've seen some new Ubuntu releases that had the stupidest bugs. Nothing I couldn't work sround but I had to wonder how it got released like that.

Mint does not use a fixed release schedule and is better for it.
I already knew about how Ubuntu follows a fixed release schedule. :D I was meaning saying " it will be ready when it's ready" is one of those basically pointless replies to what an adult tells a kid to hint he wants the kid to be quiet asking that question as if the kid had asked it many times, but this isn't one of those cases. *shrugs*.
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

motoryzen wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:27 pm I was meaning saying " it will be ready when it's ready" is one of those basically pointless replies to what an adult tells a kid to hint he wants the kid to be quiet asking that question as if the kid had asked it many times, but this isn't one of those cases. *shrugs*.
Oh, do try to keep up. If you did then you would know that the statement is actually a verified fact. If you have an issue with it, take it up with Clem.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
The question has been answered in several ways, we're done here.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”