64 bit version as "main" version?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
rekik
Level 3
Level 3

Re: 64 bit version as "main" version?

Post by rekik »

There is an advantage for 32 bit version when you have less than 4 Gb RAM because 64 bit versions use more RAM. So for PC with 2G RAM only it's better to use a 32 bit version OS.
nukm

Post by nukm »

monkeyboy wrote:I don't see a problem. We get to use fine 32 & 64 bit releases so why should we care which one is the main release or which one comes out first?
Bingo. A 64 bit LTS would be welcomed by me but I will not die from the lack of it. I can go out to 10 years with RHEL 5. It is a non-issue.
rekik wrote:There is an advantage for 32 bit version when you have less than 4 Gb RAM because 64 bit versions use more RAM. So for PC with 2G RAM only it's better to use a 32 bit version OS.
I am not a "bit" cop. Do whatever pleases you. I just want the FUD to stop about 64bit not being stable. The article I cited used a box with 2 gb RAM. So, in that instance, again, there was no advantage to 32 bit. However, your machine might be different. Not all 64 bit processors are in truly 64 bit environment.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Post by subslug »

haruspexed wrote:i think the main problem with the 64bit edition is not that 32bit is still prefered... i think the problems are some buggy mainstream apps and libraries like flash in 64bit and others that are that buggy in 64bit that it is not worth to set 64bit as main version... just a thought...
No longer an issue. Previously it was though.

You're really Not going to see much performance difference between the two. The only time you might is doing something processor intensive and that depends on if the program you're using to do whatever is able to use 64 bit processing.

Just surfing the web, no big gain.
Encoding a DVD to an .MKV file? You'll probably notice the difference.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”