theme installer

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
odix
Level 1
Level 1

theme installer

Post by odix »

how cool would it be to make an automatic theme installer ? a gui that connects to the theme database, to which you can search in real time, select your theme, and install. i think i found a reason to learn python ;p by the way i want gnome themes for mint right ?

nadir
Level 3
Level 3

Re: theme installer

Post by nadir »

gnome-art doesnt do that?

brennus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brennus »

Wow, I didn't even know it existed. I think it would be a good idea to include it in Mint by default - or perhaps create a mintArt application or something like that... Well, I don't know. Still, I think that lots of newbies would love to see an app like this in menu.

EDIT: gnome-art is incredibly buggy, or simply not fully compatible with Mint... :((

EDIT 2: Either way, in my opinion all that Mint lacks is a user friendly and non buggy gnome-art like application. :)

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Yeah thanks, never knew this existed, looks like it makes it easier to install themes, one thing that I want to do but can't seem to get the hang of.
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

rippedcb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rippedcb »

There already is a GUI in Mint for installing themes..

Menu/Preferences/Appearance/Themes --> install
how much easier could it possibly get??
basically you do is drag and drop the theme package and also copy it to usr/share/theme
once you do it a cpl of times, you can do it in your sleep..

CB
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
~Alice Roosevelt Longworth ~

brennus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brennus »

GUI which is not working... Tried lots of themes. Either it's not accepting it, or the theme simply does not work.

Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

+1 on the Art Manager-thing - besides, I haven't seen newer content through it than spring last year or so... I spotted a Gnome-Art manger-ng or something in Mandriva or PCLinuxOS, or whatever other distribution it was I tried out. Needless to say, I strongly advocate its inclusion into Mint. Fewer bugs, actually refreshes... Like that one.

brennus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brennus »

Found a nice app... Gtk-ChTheme. Nice little app, lets one preview the selected theme and all you have to do is to copy themes files to the themes folder. It also automatically aplies the theme without hassle. And, unlike Appearance Intall dialog or art-gnome, it actually WORKS!

brennus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brennus »

ikey wrote: Just a thought.. The same thing could easily be achieved in Python. Checking whether the ~/.themes directory exists
first could help too :D Who knows I might make PyGtk app to do it when I'm bored and actually have free time

- Ikey Doherty
:) That would be a great idea! Imagine a distribution in which lots of apps are developed by it's fanbase. I'm definitely going to learn Python in the near future.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”