A query about ISOs

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

A query about ISOs

Post by norm.h »

Only a query, not an issue.

In the past I have downloaded the LM19.3 to DVD and more recently to a USB stick.
I can't remember which of the 3 sites available I used for which download.
Installing from the DVD to 2 different laptops, overwriting an earlier version of Mint I had no issues, but I did have issues installing to a new laptop with the USB stick.
The main issues [subsequently overcome] were a much earlier kernel and version of Firefox.

So my query is, if there are a number of possible sites to download an ISO from, will those ISOs be identical, or could there be subtle differences, such as different versions of an app, or different kernel?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: A query about ISOs

Post by SMG »

norm.h wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:21 pmSo my query is, if there are a number of possible sites to download an ISO from, will those ISOs be identical
Yes, they should all be identical.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

norm.h wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:21 pm ...
Installing from the DVD to 2 different laptops, overwriting an earlier version of Mint I had no issues, but I did have issues installing to a new laptop with the USB stick.
I can only agree with you about using a DVD as installation media.
In my case, I still have a few DVD-RAMs in stock, which also somehow look and feel more "high-end" and are accordingly very suitable for installing Mint.

... noblesse oblige
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Since my system is UEFI, I had to quit using DVDs as an installation media about 7 years ago. USB sticks work best for a UEFI installation. Of all of the hundreds of sites that are listed at the Linux Mint official site to download from, they are all the same ISO.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

And my installation of Mint 20.0 Cinnamon on a laptop year 2019 was done via external DVD drive and the burned installation ISO DVD...

Well... Linux Mint can not do more than work and since it works, I see no reason why I should change my preferred installation mode.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Thanks for the clarifications

I'm seriously considering forking out for an external DVD drive.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

norm.h wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 am Thanks for the clarifications

You might be interested in these postings regarding current drives:

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=348859
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

norm.h wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 am Thanks for the clarifications

Here in the United States, blank DVDs are cheap by the hundred. I always buy a pack of 100 Memorex discs real cheap because they come in handy.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

While most of the time booting in UEFI mode from a stick just works. I have a problematic desktop that will only boot from an NVME drive in UEFI mode and will not boot a linux iso from a stick in UEFI mode. It did happily boot from DVD and that was how I installed both win and mint.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Non-technical Questions”