Installed Desktop background. Or should I have?-SOLVED

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ragz

Installed Desktop background. Or should I have?-SOLVED

Post by Ragz »

Apologize if this is the wrong forum for this. If so please transfer it to the appropriate forum.
While on a website yesterday I saw a drawing, art, etc which I felt would make an interesting background wallpaper so I saved the image and now it's on my laptop desktop background default of Linux Mint. Perhaps I should not have done this due to something being embedded within it which could cause damage to my system. Could this happen and is there a program in 20.1 to run a test checking for malware or whatever else? Would it be ok to keep this desktop background wallpaper?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installed Desktop background. Or should I have?

Post by Pierre »

.. it should be ok to keep this desktop background wallpaper.. as an general rule.

most of them are simply an photo of some place, and thus they do make an nice background scene.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Ragz wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:37 amPerhaps I should not have done this due to something being embedded within it which could cause damage to my system. Could this happen and is there a program in 20.1 to run a test checking for malware or whatever else? Would it be ok to keep this desktop background wallpaper?
1 - I woudn't worry about it.
2 - If you're worried about it, convert the image to bmp and than back to whatever you want, like jpg.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

Thanks. I rebooted my system and that desktop wallpaper disappeared! Not sure where I can find it.
bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bridnour »

If it disappeared on reboot, then it is possible you had it saved in a temporary location (either system or Firefox). These locations are erased on reboots.

The best way to recover the image is to find the location you downloaded it in your browser history and resave the image to your Pictures folder or another permanent location.
Ragz

Post by Ragz »

bridnour wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:06 am If it disappeared on reboot, then it is possible you had it saved in a temporary location (either system or Firefox). These locations are erased on reboots.

The best way to recover the image is to find the location you downloaded it in your browser history and resave the image to your Pictures folder or another permanent location.
Thank you

Return to “Non-technical Questions”