Payment Help!

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Milton
Level 1
Level 1

Payment Help!

Post by Milton »

Folks I have been running Linux Mint for some time now and am very happy with this great operating system.I am an old man and do not use things like Pay Pal but I would like to help with a donation.Where could I mail a check for a donation?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Payment Help!

Post by Moem »

Milton wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:52 pm Where could I mail a check for a donation?
That is very kind of you! Unfortunately a check will, as far as I know, not do a whole lot of good to a European organisation.
Is there anyone you know, maybe a friend or relative, who does use payPal and may be able to act as a go-between?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Milton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Milton »

I will check around and see.Thank you!
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Milton wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:52 pmI am an old man and do not use things like Pay Pal but I would like to help with a donation.
Do you use credit cards?

I just clicked the donation link and there are two buttons, one for paying using Pay Pal and one for paying with a credit card. The fact Pay Pal will handle the credit card transaction details is separate from whether or not you have a Pay Pal account. You do not need a Pay Pal account to donate using a credit card.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Milton
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Milton »

Thank you very much! That I can do !
henderson_bay329
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED - for me ;-)]Re: Payment Help!

Post by henderson_bay329 »

8) Hello. I'm trying to donate too - stepped back twice now because both times, though I clicked "Donate via Credit/Debit Card", PayPal stayed in the loop and was asking for more information than I wish to give THEM. I'm OK with LM folk having those data, just not PayPal. (Sheepish smile) I do have a PayPal account, but I avoid using it unless absolutely required. I do not have a Patreon account and don't want one. I do not recall going through PayPal last time I donated - May 2021 I think - via credit card. Has something changed? Must the transaction go "through" PayPal? If so, so be it and I will donate through them . . .

EDIT: Thanks, SMG and Pierre. "Through" PayPal it is, then.
Last edited by henderson_bay329 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

henderson_bay329 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:13 am Hello. I'm trying to donate too - stepped back twice now because both times, though I clicked "Donate via Credit/Debit Card", PayPal stayed in the loop and was asking for more information than I wish to give THEM.
I do not know what "more information" means, so I am not able to help.

I do not have a PayPal account, but when I have made credit card transactions which were handled by PayPal in the past, they did give me the "opportunity" to create a PayPal account. I just ignored that part.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

You usually can Ignore the "Generous Offer" to create your very own Paypal Account.
:)

this Topic does come up, quite often, and unfortunately, the Paypal is the Main method,
to Donate to the LinuxMint project.
:arrow:
you can also set up a monthly donation via Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/bePatron?u=13897391
if you are familiar with that particular method.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Anybody else see a need here? I do. At least in the major countries create a simple way (many simple ways) for people to contribute. Very simple, like mail a check, and also include many other means. Then get the money transferred to where it needs to go. I'm no financial person - especially not an international financial person - but I would like to see somebody work on this.

I love volunteering others for work :D
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if you are unsure about enlisting the Help of PayPal to make an Donation,
then the next best idea, is to enlist the assistance of an Family Member,
- - maybe an younger family member - -
that is prepared to make that Payment on your behalf.
:arrow:
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

I would like to contribute using a debit card.But that option isn't available.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

deepakdeshp wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:51 pm I would like to contribute using a debit card.
It's normally treated no different to a credit card. Check with your provider. I always use a debit card.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

You can become a patreon like me and contribute on a monthly basis.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Been using PayPal for years, I only use them with vendors I know to be reputable in the event of a dispute. Normally I use either a debit or a credit card. When using a credit card I usually pay off the charged amount within a couple of days so as not to get charged any interest .
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I still like the idea mentioned in my first post:
viewtopic.php?p=2054838#p2054838

I'm even willing to work to make that happen. I don't want to be the person accepting the contributions and forwarding it on, but I will help develop such a system if there is an interest. I'll be really surprised if somebody says this has already been considered recently and rejected for some reason.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

mikeflan wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:10 pm I still like the idea mentioned in my first post:
viewtopic.php?p=2054838#p2054838

I'm even willing to work to make that happen. I don't want to be the person accepting the contributions and forwarding it on, but I will help develop such a system if there is an interest. I'll be really surprised if somebody says this has already been considered recently and rejected for some reason.
If a system is developed where the debit card can be used for contribution to Mint, I will be happy. Many people like me likewise will be too.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Moderator Note: Off-topic posts and ones repeating the same information have been removed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

PayPal did me wrong twice, will never use them again.
so, I just created a Patreon account and went on with life.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

You can donate, directly, with a CC or debit card. I Have no PayPal account and just use VISA. Just click on the lower, white bar, under the yellow "Donate with PayPal"
https://www.paypal.com/donate/?cmd=_s-x ... source=url
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

that method "should" work . .
:)
it will also ask for your Billing Address, as well.
- which means that you have created an Pseudo Account, by default.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”