Meta (FB)/Mozilla partnership

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
norse
Level 2
Level 2

Meta (FB)/Mozilla partnership

Post by norse »

Will there be any knock on effect for Mint with this new partnership arrangement, in light of Mint's partnership with Mozilla?

I don't use Firefox and only used it to transfer website addresses, but will the new partnerships have any impact on monitoring from FB/Meta of my system? Is it safe for my privacy to even have Firefox installed in Mint anymore?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Minds, like bodies, become pimpled and flabby by mere excess of comfort"

-Charles Dickens
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Meta (FB)/Mozilla partnership

Post by karlchen »

Hello, norse.

Have you come across e.g. this Mozilla blog post perhaps?
Privacy Preserving Attribution for Advertising
Or perhaps about this article, where the term partnership between Facebook and Mozilla is explicitly used?
Mozilla and Facebook are working together to build private ad tracking tools

In case this is the background of your post and question, then you might have mentioned so. Not everybody will have necessarily come about either the Mozilla blog or the second article.

At this point in time, personally I will stay away from speculations on what the outcome may be and on whether this will spell new danger for users' privacy or not.

Nonethess let me mention a blog article by Mozilla from January 2022, which might give a hint, in which direction Mozilla intends to march:
Mozilla partners with The Markup to launch Rally study into Facebook’s tracking and data collection practices
About Mozilla's Rally study "Facebook Pixel Hunt": Facebook Pixel Hunt
Although bashing Mozilla is kind of hip, things may be more complex than "Mozilla is joining the dark side".

Regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
IvanTer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IvanTer »

Might I suggest a possible solution.

Many Mint users are concerned with Privacy. I suggest that a go fund me page centred on privacy for this distro would probable generate enough $ to remove the incentive to partner with the Evil Empire. If Such a go fund me page was founded I would gladly submit $50. Nothing is free in life so you have to support the things you believe In.
norse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by norse »

IvanTer wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:59 pm Might I suggest a possible solution.

Many Mint users are concerned with Privacy. I suggest that a go fund me page centred on privacy for this distro would probable generate enough $ to remove the incentive to partner with the Evil Empire. If Such a go fund me page was founded I would gladly submit $50. Nothing is free in life so you have to support the things you believe In.
You've gotta be kidding, using GoFundMe, right? :lol:
If trust was ever an issue, GFM has hit lower depths than even Mozilla....almost as low as FB.

I would be very happy to directly pay 30 bucks/euros/GBP to get a genuinely 'Free' version of Mint in the open source sense with no partnerships asides from genuine partnerships for development of open source, and I expect many people would.

I agree with the support model, it's a 2 way street.

Maybe an option could be added to the mint OS to have a paid-for option. It would be a price worth paying.

-Charles Dickens
norse
Level 2
Level 2

Post by norse »

karlchen wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:16 pm Hello, norse.

Regards,
Karl
Thanks for the info, shall have a look through.

-Charles Dickens
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Well, FB/Meta's share prices have been declining lately, and Firefox was absolutely clobbered by Chrome even before MS Edge came out. Surprisingly, after years of "Internet Explorer user" meaning "complete tech know nothing", Edge is actually usable but I doubt I'll try it.

Misery loves company I guess.

I utterly HATE Firefox now, the last time I tried it (last week) I was shocked at how bad it's become.

They don't even have FOSS champion status anymore since the HTML5 standard started supporting DRM, which is proprietary by definition. No browser that the vast majority of people would want to use can be truly FOSS anymore.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:03 am Well, FB/Meta's share prices have been declining lately, [...]
Holy crap, you weren't kidding!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/stockde ... uration=3M

I almost feel sorry for them... yeah, not really. :lol:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”