NAMING

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

maman wrote:Wow, I never know that people's discussing 'bout naming here... :o

Guys, just wondering (and I hope it's true), what if our beloved Mint ever exceeded 26.x (the 'Zeta' I guess?). What will the next release's name after 26.x be? Well, I really longing for the 27.x and so.
What say you? -'King' Aragorn of Gondor-
Let's keep our beloved Mint alive and kickin'
I'd suppose that you'd have to proceed to Double-Mint

Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

grimdestripador wrote:I'd suppose that you'd have to proceed to Double-Mint
Mmm, sounds tasty... :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.

Elven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Elven »

Mint Linux 4:

4.0 Danielle
4.1 Deanera
4.2 Dorothea

what about this? :)

AlsaPhil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AlsaPhil »

4.2 Dorothea
HELP... My mother in law :cry:
Please Clem, don't do that :evil:

Zone
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Naming

Post by Zone »

scorp123 wrote:
Psycho wrote: Kmint and Gmint ?
You really know girls with names like that?? :shock:

:lol:

and if you do, and she plays Quake3, I just have to have her number. :)

tinny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tinny »

katasuka wrote:
my sugestion is maybe just tack on -kde or -xfce on the end of the name, like:
linux mint versionname-gnome
linux mint versionname-kde
linux mint versionname-xfce

that way it is easy to tell even to the newest of users which has what.
I'm with katasuka. All those proper names confused me when I was trying Debian, especially when used interchangeably with alternative naming like testing, experimental, unstable, etc. I'm terrrible with names. Name should be functional, as katasuka suggests. Think nomenklatur.

tinny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tinny »

Following up my previous post, given there are so many versions of Mint now, it's hard to identify regular Gnome Mint when I recommend it to a friend. I'm not complaining about the multiple versions, just that it's difficult to identify the original Mint among the others. I mean, I can identify it, but could a newbie sort out the versions? Not easily, not without "-Gnome" or "-Regular" or "-Standard" tacked onto the end of the name.

Another reason to go with functional naming.

EDIT: Suppose I am trying to direct an interested newbie to the original Gnome Mint on the home page. What do I say when asked, Which one? Uh, it's the one that doesn't have any description or qualifiers.

Zone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zone »

I personally think the names are perfect for defining the versions. Say if you were directing a noob to a version. Point them by name, thats the purpose for them. ie: "download Cassandra" . there is only one plain Cassandra, the others are labeled, "KDE edition, XFCE edition" . Both of which, are community developed. :)
Its no different than other OS, for instance, MS Windoze. there is 98, 98se, 2000, 2000 pro, ME, XP and Vista. All are called "Windows". This to me is actually allot simpler than Microsoft. :)

tinny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tinny »

If you look at the Home page, you'll see there are four Cassandra editions, you left out Light. There may be more coming, who knows. It's easy to say you can recognize the original Mint, cuz you already know which one it is. I dont think an unguided newbie easily knows which one to pick. So if I guide him, I would like to give some useful information to help him sort the varieties, namely, the one with Gnome desktop (not that a newbie would know what a Gnome desktop is, but it identifies the original Mint). As opposed to saying, the one with no identifying information at all. Why turn things into a research job, just to figure out which is the original Mint? Simply identify it unambiguously.

EDIT: I guess you'd have to call it "Full Gnome" or "Standard Gnome" to distinguish original Mint from Light Edition. Or just "Standard" would uniquely identify it. What is missing is a qualifier that uniquely identifies Mint Full-install Gnome. "Standard" would be sufficient.

Zone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zone »

ahhhh, indeed, I did leave light out. :) Bad Zone, I like light as well, works really good at work for me. :) I can understand your point, but I guess I don't see the confusion factor. I do think though, that Mint is perfect for the migration from Windoze to Linux. I have not enough praise to say about this distro. Even the review people are calling it " Ubuntu on Steroids". :)
As far as names go, I would love to see a "Kendra" version when we get to the K's. Heck, I'll send a bribe/donation if that would help. :-D

Return to “Non-technical Questions”