Page 1 of 2

NAMING

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:48 am
by AlsaPhil
Hi Minties all over the planet,

Just an idea in connection with our distro's "guaranteed vintage" :D
In the nearest future we may have a lot of variations of Linux Mint, starting with Gnome and KDE versions.
It will be difficult to differentiate :oops:
Why not giving a girl name for Gnome and a boy name for KDE, with same letter? :idea:
For instance:

2.2 Gnome Bianca
2.2 KDE Bruno

3.0 Gnome Cecilia
3.0 KDE Chris or... Clem :lol:

etc.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:59 am
by clem
I was actually thinking about that problem last night. Great suggestion Phil.

Thanks for that.
Clem.

Posted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:03 am
by 900i
Good idea Frency

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:16 pm
by Luke
Good idea to preserve both desktops.

:idea: It would be nice to have one Mint version with lightweight window managers like Fluxbox, IceWM or Windowmaker and prefered WM can be chosen during the installation.

Re: NAMING

Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:22 pm
by scorp123
FrenchyPhil wrote:Hi Minties all over the planet,
Just an idea in connection with our distro's "guaranteed vintage" :D
In the nearest future we may have a lot of variations of Linux Mint, starting with Gnome and KDE versions.
It will be difficult to differentiate :oops:
Why not giving a girl name for Gnome and a boy name for KDE, with same letter? :idea:

For instance:

2.2 Gnome Bianca
2.2 KDE Bruno

3.0 Gnome Cecilia
3.0 KDE Chris or... Clem :lol:

etc.
Different suggestion: How about we use the names of Astronomical objects? I was just playing around with Celestia when I noticed that plenty of those moons (ie. around Saturn and Jupiter and others) and many of the asteroids floating around in our Solar system actually have very nice names! 8)

Bianca would then be a moon of Uranus ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bianca_%28astronomy%29

We could still use male names (e.g. Ganymede, Hyperion ... ) for KDE releases and female names (e.g. Callisto, Diona, Phoebe) for GNOME releases ...

Yeah yeah, I know ... weird idea. But at least there would be some sort of system behind it. :lol:

Debian releases are named after characters in the movie Toy Story ... so why can't LinuxMint use the Solar system as inspiration? :lol:

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:32 pm
by clem
Katasuka's idea might be the simplest and I like that.

There is a scheme at the moment. I never took much time to explain it.

The version number is made of two parts. The first part corresponds to the version of (k)Ubuntu the release was initially based on:
- 1.x for Kubuntu 6.04
- 2.x for Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.10
- 3.x for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu 7.04

The second part is simply the release version number, starting from 0.

Each release has a codename which follows the following rules:
- Ends in "a"
- is a Girl's name
- starts with the letter that corresponds to the first part of the version number in the alphabet ("A" for 1.x, "B" for 2.x...etc)
- is alphabetically greater than all previous codenames used for Linux Mint.

In practice this gives something like:
1.0 Ada, 2.0 Barbara, 2.1 Bea, 2.2 Bianca, 2.3 Bo.....a, 3.0 Ca...a, 3.1 Ce...a

Clem

Posted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:53 pm
by scorp123
clem wrote:Katasuka's idea might be the simplest and I like that.

There is a scheme at the moment. I never took much time to explain it.

The version number is made of two parts. The first part corresponds to the version of (k)Ubuntu the release was initially based on:
- 1.x for Kubuntu 6.04
- 2.x for Ubuntu/Kubuntu 6.10
- 3.x for Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu 7.04

The second part is simply the release version number, starting from 0.

Each release has a codename which follows the following rules:
- Ends in "a"
- is a Girl's name
- starts with the letter that corresponds to the first part of the version number in the alphabet ("A" for 1.x, "B" for 2.x...etc)
- is alphabetically greater than all previous codenames used for Linux Mint.

In practice this gives something like:
1.0 Ada, 2.0 Barbara, 2.1 Bea, 2.2 Bianca, 2.3 Bo.....a, 3.0 Ca...a, 3.1 Ce...a

Clem
2.3 Boadicea
3.0 Camilla
3.1 Celina

Just suggestions :wink:

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:05 pm
by kenetics
I thought Clem was just using the names of his girlfriends! :lol:

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:21 pm
by scorp123
kenetics wrote:I thought Clem was just using the names of his girlfriends! :lol:
Don't tell his wife ... :lol:

Re: Naming

Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:09 pm
by scorp123
Psycho wrote: Kmint and Gmint ?
You really know girls with names like that?? :shock:

:lol:

NAMING

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:31 am
by npap
Hello everybody,
Come on guys, let's be more serious. :o Why so much "'ado about nothing"?

Scorp's Quote:
Different suggestion: How about we use the names of Astronomical objects? I was just playing around with Celestia when I noticed that plenty of those moons (ie. around Saturn and Jupiter and others) and many of the asteroids floating around in our Solar system actually have very nice names!

Scorp123 has the best suggestion so far. And may I be a little more bold and suggest an asexual name, e.g. LinxuxMint 2.... Unisex? :lol:


PS Aphrodite approves of it :)

Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:49 am
by AlsaPhil
I feel here much more closed to tradition :wink:
I suggest Carla or Chiara

PS - I don't suggest Condolisa :lol:

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:50 am
by AlsaPhil
ImageMiss Bianca... I think she is Bianca...
npap has another idea in connection with this question, I guess :wink:
And Clem keeps definitely the secret of the confessional...
But I agree with you Bianca/Mint is very impressive :D

Re: Name of program

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:51 am
by npap
mrc wrote:I am new to linux. I have experimented with a few Linux program. I am very impressed with Mint / Bianca. I read some of your forum and found it cute the comments about the name of your program. I have a question. Who is Bianca and why was the name connected with Mint. Is there a picture? I am impressed however with the program. I will use this program for a while. It appear you are serious about support and a good product. I am using it in the VM world at the moment. I will see if I can get the sound to work. Everything else works even WIFI. I am using a HP L2005 Lance Armstrong Edition Notebook Computer. It does have an odd sound card. Keep up the good work I am impressed: Just curious.D
Quote: Who is Bianca and why was the name connected with Mint

Welcome Mrc.
But Monsieur Phillipe, why didn't you tell our friend mrc to look at the picture of Bianca at the Mint Café?
Random>The Mint Café :)
Mrc, she is visiting for a few days and she might sign some virtual autographs too. :)
Regards,npap

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:57 pm
by utabintarbo
clem wrote:There is a scheme at the moment. I never took much time to explain it.

...

Each release has a codename which follows the following rules:
- Ends in "a"
- is a Girl's name
- starts with the letter that corresponds to the first part of the version number in the alphabet ("A" for 1.x, "B" for 2.x...etc)
- is alphabetically greater than all previous codenames used for Linux Mint.

In practice this gives something like:
1.0 Ada, 2.0 Barbara, 2.1 Bea, 2.2 Bianca, 2.3 Bo.....a, 3.0 Ca...a, 3.1 Ce...a

Clem
Why the requirement of a girl's name?

Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:46 pm
by carlos
The better question is, why not? :wink:

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 2:29 am
by NiksaVel
I hate that keverything naming...

how about Linux Mint G Bianca, Linux Mint K Bianca, Linux Mint X Bianca... could easily create some fancy logo addons with just one letter in there...


also... we should stick with clems naming standard IMHO... but I also like the idea of using celestial names which would fit that standard... that's a VERY good idea IMO...


Using boy names is not really my thing..... "I'm running Bruno on my lap top"... - how gay can you get? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:56 am
by kanishka
Another proposal:

Linux MinG (GNOME Mint)
Linux MinK (KDE Mint)
Linux MinX (etc you got it)
Linux MinF

:mrgreen:

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:21 am
by NiksaVel
I think we can loose anything but the word mint... it's not mint otherwise :D

Posted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:08 am
by Husse
I agree with AlsaPhil
PS - I don't suggest Condolisa :)