Mono or the GIMP?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please

Should Mint Isadora deprecate Mono and related apps in favor of the GIMP?

Poll ended at Mon May 10, 2010 1:38 am

Aye! I mistrust all Mono packages, and the GIMP belongs in Linux Mint.
83%
Nay! Canonical is taking the right direction, and we should follow them.
18%

Total votes: 40

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mono or the GIMP?

Post by frank392 »

BASE ON UBUNTU :evil:

That is a big mistake we should put a better effort and move to debian base and have 2 editions

Mint 9 Stable and Mint 9 testing

Ubuntu NEVER work good Always Had problems, That is not the case with Debian at least not with the stable edition

lets get rid of the midle man!!!

This is the best time to move to DEBIAN :D
tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower »

Looking through some old posts, it seems that a Debian version was produced around the time of Cassandra. It was just experimental though.
vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I'm not too sure I understand all the fuss that's going around. I use a few Mono apps as well as the GIMP, and I like all of them and appreciate the work that their developers have put into their respective programs. Seeing as both Mono and GIMP are already included by default in Mint, why don't we just keep both? The current Mint 8 .iso files can still fit on a CD, so I don't see why we must cut out one of the other.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

Mono is a cancer, if it spread it coul be very bad for linux you can call it troyan horse if you want it was send by Microsoft!! :evil:
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

At the end of the day, unless you buy a Linux Mint CD, you have to download the programs anyway if you want them, either on the ISO or through Synaptic or Apt. Whether GIMP or MONO is included or not it's only a sudo apt-get install away anyway!
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

Since the mono apps aren't significantly better than their non-mono counterparts, and there's quite a bit of distrust/upset over the mono issue, it would seem to make sense to simply not include it by default. The mono apps are only an apt-get away.
Anomadeus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anomadeus »

I use all the mono apps I can and as long as its provided, I'm going to continue to.
Mint 17.1
mtrix
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mtrix »

since i'm a C# developer and use .net i say we should follow them... but whatever... i can always install mono develop from repository :)

Though i would like to have gimp....
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

AndrewH wrote:Since the mono apps aren't significantly better than their non-mono counterparts, and there's quite a bit of distrust/upset over the mono issue, it would seem to make sense to simply not include it by default. The mono apps are only an apt-get away.
I prefer that option, however, I think the Gnome developers are starting to infect Linux distributions way too much
http://linux-wizard.net/blog-dconf_in_g ... y-271.html
dconf vs gconf..

Lxde Mint 8..
I see that when I removed mono, I get sysinfo removed, although it it not a very detailed system lookup tool, I have looked at occasionally..
  • sysinfo is a graphical tool that is able to display some hardware and software information about the computer it is run on.
--apart from a Gnome developers ideology to always prefer mono now, what has sysinfo got to do with mono, which is being proferred as a development platform for .Net programming compatibility; despite the fact that there are any number of CLI clients, including python that can be used inside a .Net framework..
denyu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by denyu »

What exactly mono are for ? Is it effective enough to compete with .NET or is it in conjunction with .NET
Currently I am running Lucid and until now not yet install GIMP even dough I've using it a lot at LinuxMint. mainly to edit foto like cropping, enhanced colors so I can upload to some forum, web or social network.
I think current mono developped application isn't growing fast enough if compared with .NET . Or our community just afraid to become Microsoftish ? I believed mono is one of the way to developed more advanced application out and easier. I am not a developer dough lighten me up ! I am glad if we have many choices in choosing the right application. Is there any other application that can be compare with Gimp ? or we don't have other choice...
I believe I have to choose mono same with the rest of you guys who want's java pre-installed. May be by not having gimp i can find another alternative... perhaps the one developped with mono :mrgreen:
DEAD_MAN_WALKING
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DEAD_MAN_WALKING »

A little overview of Mono for people who don't know what it is.
The Mono Project is an open development initiative sponsored by Novell to develop an open source, UNIX version of the Microsoft .NET development platform. It is a .NET compatible set of tools, which include C# compiler, Common Language Runtime, ADO.NET, ASP.NET and Winforms libraries.

Mono can be divided into three groups:

* Core components
* Gnome development stack
* Microsoft compatibility stack

The core components are the C# language and the Common language runtime. The Gnome development stack includes the GTK# library and various database connectivity libraries. Finally the Microsoft compatibility stack includes the ADO.NET, ASP.NET and the Winforms libraries.

Mono is multiplatform programming platform. It can be run on Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, Solaris and Windows operating systems. It is a multilanguage effort. For now, only C# language is fully supported. Languages like Visual Basic or IronPython are not yet finished.
By the way im with Gimp all the way. :D
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

I love GIMP, it works well and its free,

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
Morrat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Morrat »

Please keep mono in, or at least continue to offer in package management, for a small business we need evolution mail, not thunderbird.

Whatever feelings about canonical v Novell, until canonical develops its own software suites.....

As a professional user of Mint, my immediate concern is not whether LM is based on Debian, Fedora or whatever, nor even where the software comes from. The tradition of Mint seems to me to provide a ready to go stable, efficient and plain elegant OS, keep it that way :wink:

(in any case that is how we are spreading the word about Mint....)

lets not get ideological about this :twisted:
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Nothing wrong with people wanting/using Mono, I simply don't see the need for it in a default install. Add it later if you want it. Like we have to add many other things.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Cardinal4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cardinal4 »

I think some conflict is going on in my system between the preinstalled Mono and what I want to install. Wine keeps reporting weird values of .NET platform, so I would vote to take out Mono. Without introducing any more bugs unless it's upstream, of course. Though I never use GIMP and think it's overrated, I think GIMP has been one of the faces of the OSS movement so you can't really take it out,that would be just wrong.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”