Ubuntu kernal vulnerabilities

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Ubuntu kernal vulnerabilities

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Has anyone else seen this yet?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/10-Kerne ... 4162.shtml

I'm assuming the stated vulnerabilities will also apply to Mint. The required kernal update is available in Update Manager and I'm off to install it.
Registered Linux User 483387
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Ubuntu kernal vulnerabilities

Post by remoulder »

Available in Mintupdate level 5.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

If these are vulnerabilities, why are they only level 5 which most people do not install? Is it because the likelihood of bricking a system outweighs the likelihood of them being exploited?
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

If these are vulnerabilities, why are they only level 5 which most people do not install? Is it because the likelihood of bricking a system outweighs the likelihood of them being exploited?
Well, I saw where one person installed the updated kernel and their wifi quit working. I upgraded the kernel on 64 bit and everything worked fine for me. If the new kernel does not work, just boot using the old kernel and remove the new one in Synaptic.
beefstu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by beefstu »

Ok I'll do that. I was more wondering why security updates were sorted under a category that the typical user would usually not have a clue of their existence without seeing the news or knowing about the different levels.

EDIT: updated fine, just had to make usual changes to grub.cfg to get graphics card and backlight to work properly
Please go through the steps here when posting a question. Once your question has been resolved, edit the original question post and add [Solved] to the subject. Both of these will help others use the forum effectively.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Many of the security updates have no real impact on home users and many here are new to Linux. Kernel updates, especially from Ubuntu tend to cause problems for people. An experienced user like yourself knew what needed to be done after the update, many would not have known how to get their graphics working again. The whole idea behind the update levels is to keep people from having a broken system and to make informed decisions rather than blindly updating and having a broken system.
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

I installed the kernal update on Mint 8 64 bit and it would not boot. Just an example of why kernal updates are level 5.

I had intended to remove the 64 bit version and reinstall 32 bit Mint 8 in any case (I really don't need 64 bit) so there was no great harm done.

I assume I either got a bad download or, for whatever reason, my system rejected the updated kernal.
Registered Linux User 483387
Brian49
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Brian49 »

After reading about this on Softpedia, I installed kernel 2.6.31-19.56 on x86 via synaptic (the latest version listed there). So far it appears to have gone through without problems, but for the time being I'm keeping 2.6.31-17.54 on my system just in case (I've updated the kernel several times since installing Mint 8).
Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Husse »

See my global announcement
As soon as I have installed the final Helena main and upgraded in my laptop I'll add my experience about it
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Silent Warrior
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Silent Warrior »

exploder wrote:Well, I saw where one person installed the updated kernel and their wifi quit working. I upgraded the kernel on 64 bit and everything worked fine for me. If the new kernel does not work, just boot using the old kernel and remove the new one in Synaptic.
If that's me you're referring to, it seems my laptop didn't take kindly to the linux-modules-backports-package. I've since updated to -19 and everything is in top shape for me. I was just going to edit my post(s) to reflect this, "for the benefit of posterity" and all. All's well that ends well. :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Running on an upgraded 6 year old HP a645c desktop PC: AMD 3200+ (32 bit single core) w/1.0 GB memory, Nvidia GeForce 6200w/256 dedicated AGP video card. Internet connection is via Ethernet cable directly to DSL modem, no network, no proxies.

Kernel upgrade went fine and the system has been running without any apparent problems since. Resource usage at start up runs around 220 MBs w/0-10% CPU.

Can't complain about that.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”