Spent some time playing with PCLinuxOS and Puppy

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Spent some time playing with PCLinuxOS and Puppy

Post by mikhou »

While it was fun to play with something different and it seems to be fairly intuitive and well done, it was quite refreshing to boot back into Mint and to see what I was familiar with. To be fair, I have only played with PCLinuxOS for a short period of time and some of the positives are that internet, sound, and everything else that I threw at it ran right out of the box. That was nice. But I like the package of apps that come by default in LM better, and while KDE is flashy, I prefer something that's more simple and requires fewer resources. Again, I'm not bashing it. I just like LM better.

Puppy was cool! I don't know that I would ever want to use it as my primary desktop, but the fact that I can carry it with me everywhere on a USB stick at under 100MB is great!

I'll stick with LM, but I also wanted to play around with some other distros as well. I still haven't moved up to Helena yet on LM. I'm waiting on LM 9 for the LTS.

mikhou
Last edited by mikhou on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Spent some time playing with PCLinuxOS and Puppy

Post by Aging Technogeek »

mikhou,

You have been infected by the distro-hopping virus. I am afraid there is no cure. Just when you think you are over it, you will see a new distro written up in Disto Watch or somewhere else and you will have to have it. Better buy lots of CDs and DVDs and folios to keep them in. You will need them.

I know because I have a full blown case myself. A partial list of distros I have tried.

Mint (of course my favorite)
Ubuntu
Crunchbang
Sidux
PCLinuxOS
Freespire
Moon OS
GOS
Puppy
Macpup
Mepis
Tiny Core
NimbleX
Slitaz
There are more but it's late and my memory ain't what it used to be.
Registered Linux User 483387

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Hello, my name is 'vrkalak' and I'm a Distro-Hopper.

I've only been using Linux for a little over a year ... and I bet, that I have a stack of over a hundred LiveCDs of most every distro imaginable. :P

However, no matter which Distro I try ... I always come back to Mint. :lol:

I need therapy :cry: *checks into a clinic for distro-hoppers.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markcynt »

I have also tried more distros than I can count.

openSUSE and Linux Mint are the only distros that never get removed.

I started using DVD+RW's when I caught the bug to keep my disc pile down.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

@Aging Technogeek

Put these on your list of distros to try next, in that order...easiest to hardest :wink:

Debian Lenny
Slackware 13
Arch
Gentoo

If you still have any hair left after Gentoo, try Linux From Scratch :mrgreen:

Incidentally over 120 distros are based on Debian,(including Ubuntu, and therefore Mint)
so it makes sense to know/learn/use the grand-daddy of them all.

cheers
mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

The next 2 on my list are SimplyMEPIS and openSUSE. As you can tell, I'm still new at this and am sticking with those known to be fairly easy.

What I really need to do is just buy a "throw-a-way" computer so that if I can load what I want when I want and if I break anything I can just wipe it clean and start over. Right now we just have one computer. My wife is fine with using Linux, but she did ask that once I settle on something (and I've been using LM for about six months now) to please stick with it. She doesn't want to have to learn something new over and over.

:-)

mikhou

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

mikhou wrote: What I really need to do is just buy a "throw-a-way" computer so that if I can load what I want when I want and if I break anything I can just wipe it clean and start over. Right now we just have one computer. My wife is fine with using Linux, but she did ask that once I settle on something (and I've been using LM for about six months now) to please stick with it. She doesn't want to have to learn something new over and over.

:-)

mikhou
Hahaha... :lol:
I also have only one computer at home which i share with two younger brother and most of the time, they also need to learn how to use any particular OS's as i'm the one who install and configure it. As like many others, i always come back to mint after any "journey" =p

I can't afford to buy another computer, not even the cheap one! :cry: And my brothers just want to stick with mint.. Glad that nowadays, you can make a usb live of most of the distro.. :D

I think i'm infected since i know about knoppix and slax (kill bill edition) almost 4 years back.. Since then, distrowatch is the place where i visit the most, sometimes just to watch what is new but most of the time, i can't resist to download and try them..

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

There it is. The second phase of distro hopping infection. Buy a second computer just to try new distros on. At this point, I have three so I know where you are coming from. It does get a tad expensive though.

Tip: Register with EBay if you have not already done so. Lots of refurbished, off lease, corporate computers for really good prices. They may look used but inside they are generally like new.
Registered Linux User 483387

AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

VirtualBox is a great way to play with other distros. :mrgreen:

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

openSUSE is next on the list.

tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower »

One thing you will find with distro hopping is that each distro has its own goals and views on the balance between size, functionality and ease of use.

Once you have finished going through Linux distros there are plenty more OS out there to try.
ReactOS
AROS
Haik
and lots more!!

Happy hopping

bigBuckets
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigBuckets »

Reviving old computers can be pretty addictive too. Running LXDE, XFCE, Openbox, Fluxbox, etc. on old, low-RAM, Pentium 3's and 4's just to see what runs the fastest.

Linux distros can be great for a family on a budget... Find a cheap computer, run something light, get free games and educational software for the kids.

I wish I had a better connection to download ISO's faster.

Mr. Alex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr. Alex »

I tried Debian, Mandriva and Mint.
Debian is too complicated for me. Mandriva is disgusting. It's messed up with almost everything. I tried to configure umask there with the help of very compitent people. Failed. It's also very buggy. Flash and Gnome crash every 5 minutes. Then I tried Mint and it was really good! It's almost perfect for client machine. But not for server 'cause server needs more stable software. So for server I prefer something like Debian or CAOS and for client - Mint.

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

Mr. Alex wrote:Debian is too complicated for me......I prefer something like Debian
Huh? :?
Mandriva is disgusting
:lol:
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

Mr. Alex
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mr. Alex »

Huh? :?
Yeah, that's because I don't have server now. I am planning to build it in future. And I learn how to do things in GNU/Linux so in future I think I will be able to use Debian.

AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

I've been playing with several distros; I really like Debian and openSUSE's installers.

openSUSE's mascot is almost as cute as Puppy's. :lol:

BrenR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrenR »

I've been a distro hopper for a long time. :lol: So many distros to try, why limit yourself?
Got to love live cds. Great to be able to try before you install. My hardware is aging and some of the new stuff is too bloated (?) to run right on it. Mandriva for one.
I heard so much good about Debian that I did a net install and it looked really washed out. Didn't care for it at all, so bye bye Debian Lenny. Maybe your next stable release?
I even tried BSD. I seem to come back to PCLOS and just recently tried Mint, and it's a keeper too :)
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I am hooked on Linux Mint and PCLinuxOS. PCLinuxOS currently supports my new NVidea graphics cards better than anything else I have tried. I am waiting for Linux Mint 9 to see if the NVidea situation improves. I have a huge monitor too and the Ubuntu base just is not getting along at all with the GT 220 and the HP 25" wide screen. I just freed up the Intel machine for Linux Mint because I am not seeing any problems with the Mint 9 base and Intel graphics. I like quality workmanship and Mint, PCLinuxOS and OpenSuse are my current favorites in this respect. PCLinuxOS 2010 will stay installed on one machine because with work, testing, moderating, kids and work around the house, I need one system that stays current that I will not have to reinstall the OS on for a long time.

BrenR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrenR »

I just looked at Mint 9 in the blog and it looks nice. I'll definitely update to it on my other tower. This one I'm getting some bugs worked out with FF crashing (64 bit bug- found the answer in Ubuntu forum, and fixedit , I hope), so I'll be reluctant to change for awhile.
I'm running PCLOS LXDE 2009.2 on the other pc because it's low spec and limited ram. I'll probably move it 2010 when they get the final release done.
I used to run OpenSuse, and liked it, but I like Mint and PCLOS better.
I might explain that I'm currently running 2 towers with 2 hard drives each.
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Mr. Alex wrote:Debian is too complicated for me.
Well, I have never seen Debian as "complicated". Yes, it's not Mint, Ubuntu or other distros like these but "complicated"? :roll:

But I have some problems with Debian, e.g. some stupid decision like only pushing tzdata updates in debian-volatile, and yet, sometimes there is not there even several days after the change! Ditto sometimes for Slackware. Too bad.

No distro is fully satisfactory but probably those closest are the "big arms": Debian, Slackware, Red Hat, SUSE... For now I could perhaps say the two best are Debian and Red Hat (its clones, because I don't think someone wants to buy RHEL. You don't get that much when you buy RHEL. And you pay on a yearly basis — when you buy Windows 7, you pay once (for a device) for the whole lifetime of a product.)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”