Spent some time playing with PCLinuxOS and Puppy

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Spent some time playing with PCLinuxOS and Puppy

Post by AndrewH »

Due to the confusing partitioner, openSUSE wiped my hard drive instead of installing to the partition I'd prepared for it. Not a huge deal, didn't lose much, but it was annoying.

Everyone says it's the best implementation of KDE, and though I've never used KDE before, I did think it was really beautiful and makes Gnome look exceptionally boring. YAST was very impressive. However, I had problems with the system locking up when trying to add or remove software. K3B would stop and hang at 99% when writing an ISO (had to use my Crunchbang live CD to do it). openSUSE recognised my USB flash drive, but couldn't open the VFAT formatted file system.

I really wanted to like it, but it's back to Mint for me for the time being.

feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

AndrewH wrote: Everyone says it's the best implementation of KDE..
Well, i'm not one of them.. LOL
Don't want to say anything bad about any certain distro but i think, mint helena kde ce and pclos is the best if you want to use kde..
:)

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

AndrewH wrote:Everyone says it's the best implementation of KDE
I found all the 11.x versions of SUSE KDE to be extremely unstable resource hogs.

The best KDE 4 implementations I have found are Slackware 13 and Arch.
They are both very fast and stable. Debian is my choice for a KDE 3.5 implementation.

And who is this "everyone" who says SUSE is the best? :mrgreen:
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

mick55 wrote:And who is this "everyone" who says SUSE is the best? :mrgreen:
"Everyone" is that elusive group encompassing those reviewers who say openSUSE is "the best KDE4 experience" or "the perfect KDE distribution", for example. :P

It does look really polished, including the modifications the openSUSE team made to Firefox and OpenOffice.org to make them look like native KDE apps.

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

I read the reviews you linked to.

The reviewers seem enchanted by the way SUSE looks.

I agree SUSE looks great.

It may well win an award as the most beautiful distro.

But once you actually start using it the trouble begins. :wink:

I enjoyed the comments more than the reviews themselves.
I found this one particularly amusing.
You guys are on drug or something?!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or, you just installed ... looked around .... NICE ... OK, let's install another dist???
:lol:

I encourage you to give KDE another shot on another distro, it's really
a very good desktop environment.

cheers
mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Just to give some ideas to people :wink:, I wanted to mention some relatively good distributions which nobody has mentioned here (I guess): Parsix (GNOME - based on Debian Testing), GoblinX (KDE and XFCE - based on Slackware), Bluewhite64 (KDE - based on Slackware), Pardus (KDE), Frugalware (all)... You should try them, at least in LiveCD/DVD. they are not Mint but they are interesting.
Last edited by linuxviolin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

tower
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tower »

That is an interesting point, some distros seem to get one desktop right! But are not so good on the others they include.

BrenR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrenR »

I just tried GoblinX live cd. It runs pretty fast, even on this aging hardware. Interesting. I'll have to try it on my other, even older tower.
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

PCLOS was the first distro I settled on as usuable in early days. Friendly, easy to configure, excellent media support.

Tend to float back and forth between it and Mint. Prefer Gnome, so Mint usually sdits on most machines now, after i've hacked the desktop back to Gnome standard that is. :)

But when it scomes to KDE, PCLOS has always been a fave, and this new version is shaping up very nicely on my desktop. Checking it and the Gnome variant, as well as the Zen-Mini (love being able to built it up as i choose, and still have apt-get at hand to do it with:) )

Will def see how things go.

kgw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kgw »

I have been distro hoping and everytime I wind up with mint as I am sick and tired of dicking around with "Proprietary drivers". I have read some bad reviews on Mint and I believe they mostly come from other Distros trying to rank there garbage. I am not saying other distros aren't fun to play around with but its the hunting for basic stuff that completely turns me off. Mint installs nicely, allows me to surf the web without any "Aww fu**'s", is stable and boots nicely. This is not saying other Distro's aren't nice, but sometimes I just need to get things done without punching holes in the wall.
6144MB DDR2 dual-channel (2 × 1024MB + 2 × 2048MB), 750GB 7200rpm SATA, Optical Drive : 16x DVD±R/RW Supermulti drive, Write max: 16x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 5x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RW, Read max: 16x DVD-ROM, 40x CD-ROM

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

kgw wrote:I have been distro hoping and everytime I wind up with mint as I am sick and tired of dicking around with "Proprietary drivers". I have read some bad reviews on Mint and I believe they mostly come from other Distros trying to rank there garbage. I am not saying other distros aren't fun to play around with but its the hunting for basic stuff that completely turns me off. Mint installs nicely, allows me to surf the web without any "Aww fu**'s", is stable and boots nicely. This is not saying other Distro's aren't nice, but sometimes I just need to get things done without punching holes in the wall.

Amen brother. :)

BrenR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrenR »

I have to take back my above post about Debian. I re-installed it and tweaked it, and now it looks fine, and I'm happy to have another stable OS that runs good on an older computer.
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I spent some time playing around with a few other distros in the past week on my laptop. Wanted to try 'em out ever since last month, but never had time until now.

Fedora 12 Gnome: Slow on booting. Yes, I know it's a live session, and not as fast as it would be if installed on my hard drive, but really, it felt twice as slow as Mint when it came to booting up. Wireless network adapter was undetected, even though my Ralink card has open-source Linux drivers available (and Mint got them on the get-go; all I had to do was to input my password to access my network). The user interface looks quite bland, but it's simple to navigate around and pretty straightforward, just as I expect from Gnome. I didn't do much exploring, since not much can be done without an internet connection and I didn't feel like compiling drivers just to be able to get online.

BackTrack 4: Wanted to try out aircrack, which didn't work too well on Mint. Not all that surprisingly, it didn't work much better in BackTrack either, and I had to mess around to get my wireless working; my card's drivers were on the Live CD, but wasn't properly configured for it, and it took me a while to realise I had to start the network interface myself through the Terminal. Doesn't make a difference though...my card still can't inject packets. -_- Played around with some other tools and realised that this is a fun distro to play with, so I'm keeping the CD, but I'm not actually going to install this on my hard drive.

Puppy Linux 4.3.1: This was for one of my older laptops that I wanted to revive. Worked well out of the box, and was easy to configure, except for the fact that there was no audio. I tweaked alsamixer a thousand times, googled for several hours, and still couldn't find a way to fix it, so I just gave up. I'm keeping Puppy on this lappy, because even though it has no sound, it runs much more faster than XP, considering that it only has 256 Mb RAM and I can't upgrade it.

OpenSUSE 11.2 KDE: Very aesthetically pleasing. Trouble is, I could connect to my network and ping my router and everything else within my home network successfully, but I couldn't access the internet at all. I made sure that the firewall was down, and nothing was blocking my connection, and yet openSUSE still wouldn't let me get online. Meh, I guess I should be glad that it recognized my wireless adapter, more than I can say for Fedora.

Chromium OS: Haven't tried it, because I can't get it to boot on my laptop. -_- I know my USB works fine because I just used it to boot openSUSE, and yet I can't boot Chromium with my thumbdrive after burning its image onto my USB. Shame, really, because I like the idea of a very fast boot and a web-centered interface...it would be really useful at school when I need quick access to the Internet.

I've come to the realisation that Mint has spoiled me, plain and simple. :lol: I mean, everything just worked out of the box when I first installed it, which is more than I can say for any of the other distros I tried today. :P
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

ibm450
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ibm450 »

exploder wrote:... PCLinuxOS currently supports my new NVidea graphics cards better
funny that, i also noticed that my agp 6600GT performed much better on pclos, and also have noticed that my intel based graphics (on board ) ran surprisingly snappy & stable
PCLinuxOS 2010 will stay installed on one machine because with work, testing, moderating, kids and work around the house, I need one system that stays current that I will not have to reinstall the OS on for a long time.
keep us updated on this distro, ive read vey promising reviews about this distro, although it looked too ubuntu for my likings.
Sony i3 - VPCEB13FG laptop ~ LM 20 Cinnamon - Ubuntu 20.04 - Win 10

XidCat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by XidCat »

This looks like the Distro Hoppers Anonymous (or Alotofus?) thread.... I've been sober for 27 hrs, 33 mins, and 4 secs (had a PCLOS bender)....

I have well over 100 live DVD's and CD's in, on and around my desk. Like many people have said here, I always come back to Mint (KDE CE 64 bit now). It works, no fussing around. I think my distro hopping days are coming to an end for now. I just don't have the time or patience any more to fiddle with making my computer work. That is one thing that always amazed me about Mint. If I explode my computer in some way, I can pop a Mint disk in, install, 10 mins. Reboot, install NVIDIA driver, 5 mins. Reboot, install updates, 15 mins. Migrate browser, e-mail, files etc from backup, 10 mins. That's it, 40 mins and I have a fully operational OS that I don't have to mess with anymore unless I choose to. With a lot of distros it's Java this, Flash that, jacked up codecs, fonts aren't just right, and so on. You can easily eat up 6 hours jacking around with forums, Google and tweaking settings just to screw up and turn your box into a paperweight.
"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass, Chapter 4

mikhou
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mikhou »

I'm sure that it has mostly to do with what I am used to. But I have spent the last month and a half playing with other distributions both via LiveCD and via Virtualbox, and I just keep coming back to Linux Mint Gnome. (I'm still on Gloria 7. I'll upgrade to the new LTS when it comes out.) I just can't find anything that works as easily, is as intuitive, or is as productive as LM (including M$ Windows). Now we are going to buy a new laptop soon for my wife, and we'll probably end up buying something with Win 7 on it because she is homeschooling our boys (we are from the USA, but are living overseas) and wants to be able to install a bunch of educational games on her laptop. But if it weren't for that, I can't find anything out there that would lead me to replace LM. I love it.

The only thing that I found that I really liked outside of LM was Puppy. I also played around with a bunch of KDE distro's and don't really care for KDE, but again that's probably because I'm not used to it. Anyway, just wanted to throw in my $.02 after starting this thread. Thanks for all of the opinions.

mikhou

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

edit: I'm an idiot, wrong thread.

linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

vincent wrote:Fedora 12 Gnome: Slow on booting. Yes, I know it's a live session, and not as fast as it would be if installed on my hard drive, but really, it felt twice as slow as Mint when it came to booting up.
Fedora 12 "slow on booting"? :shock: I have it on an "old" desktop and it boots quite fast! Btw, the reviewers around the web noted this also, the fast boot... But yes, with an installed system. :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”