Why so frequent updates?...

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
beansandjeans
Level 3
Level 3

Why so frequent updates?...

Post by beansandjeans »

I recently installed Mint (v8,Fluxbox), and I'm generally quite happy with it so far. One thing was puzzling to me though. I noticed that by default it's set to automatically check for and install software updates every fifteen minutes. Now I'm thinking "who on earth would need to update their software every fifteen minutes?!" Ok, well maybe some people might want that, but sure it's just a very small minority, definitely not enough to make that the default, right?...

Well maybe I'm wrong and there's some reason that most people would want updates that frequently.

I'm a "newbie" to Mint and Linux in general. Played around with Ubuntu a bit four years ago. Hoping to stick with it this time...

This thing's not really that big a deal to me, since there was one easy place to change it :) , but I was just curious why it was setup that way in the first place...

Having to deal with (or try to fight) a bunch of constant updates eating up a ton of computer resources all the time is actually a big part of what's made me want to get away from Windows. Adobe doing updates, Windows doing updates, etc., and don't even get me going about the bloody anti-virus software - slowing everything down about as much as a virus itself!

Sorry - just had to rant a bit there :-P

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why so frequent updates?...

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome To Linux Mint
You may be right, I guess it just defaults to 15min because they wrote the program like that? There is probably a more correct answer if you search the forums,
Nevertheless, it is easy to set to whatever you like,I have mine to once a day, simple enough, Happy Minting.
Jay514 :roll:
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu

beansandjeans
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beansandjeans »

Yeah - I had already changed the settings. I was just curious about that. I mean I can understand wanting to be up to date and all, but still...

But that was an easy fix, and everything else has worked quite well so far :-)

Jay514
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jay514 »

Please add (solved) to the subject header of your Original Post, otherwise people will respond to this post to offer help.
Have a Good Day,
Jay514 :mrgreen:
" Do Not Do Wrong Twice,That Which You Could Have Done Right The First Time"

Main = HP Pavilion DV4-1275mx - OS=Mint_CE x64KDE/LXDE,& x64Kubuntu

GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

sorry - did not read the whole - thread ----- jumping the gun - more updates are good. I run level 1& 2 -- some do 3 - i did. but backed off of 3 - i loose a few - so what. There should be a setting to check like every month - not on a linux laptop to verify correct methods/settings . will check back later - sorry.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

AndrewH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AndrewH »

GrayWizardLinux wrote:There should be a setting to check like every month - not on a linux laptop to verify correct methods/settings . will check back later - sorry.
mintUpdate > Preferences > Auto-Refresh tab > change the refresh timer to however many minutes, hours, or days > Apply :wink:

beansandjeans
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beansandjeans »

Jay514 wrote:Please add (solved) to the subject header of your Original Post, otherwise people will respond to this post to offer help.
This thread is in the "Non-technical Questions" forum and I already had the solution before I posted. I just was wondering why the updates were set up that way to begin with. That question still hasn't exactly been answered, but it's not that big a deal. Others can post still if they have more to discuss on this topic.

BrenR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrenR »

Thanks for this info. I hadn't yet realized MintUpdate was checking every 15 minutes. I reset mine to once a day.
Registered Linux User #401179
Linux Mint 9
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3000+
2gig DDR PC3200
ATA WDC WD120g
ATA Seagate 80g
USB Seagate 120g
GeForce FX 5200
Ubuntu 10.4, XP

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Aging Technogeek »

To answer your question more directly, Mint Update checks for updates at the interval specified in Auto-refresh (default = every 15 minutes), but it does nothing with the updates until you run the app and tell it what updates to install. (Unless you write a bash script and run Updates as a cron job)

Most users don't even know about the Auto-refresh settings and are never aware that the updater is running for a short time every 15 minutes while they are connected to the internet.

For the majority of users, it is a non-issue. If you are running an older system with limited resources, changing this setting is one thing to do to reduce parasitic loads.
Registered Linux User 483387

Return to “Non-technical Questions”