Debian as Base

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Debian as Base

Post by frank392 »

is there any chance that we can move from ubuntu to Debian PLEASE!!!!!

bobcollard
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Debian as Base

Post by bobcollard »

frank392 wrote:is there any chance that we can move from ubuntu to Debian PLEASE!!!!!
You are using Debian. Got this from Debian FAQ:
Ubuntu

Ubuntu is a Linux distribution that starts with the breadth of Debian and adds regular releases (every six months), a clear focus on the user and usability (it should "Just Work", TM) and a commitment to security updates with 18 months of support for every release. Ubuntu ships with the latest GNOME and KDE releases as well as a selection of server and desktop software that makes for a comfortable desktop experience off a single installation CD.
Robert Collard, Springfield, IL
Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16 Ghz. 4GB RAM
Linux Mint Debian Edition, Xfce 4.6.2 Desktop, 2.6.37-0.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

bobcollard,
There are enough differences and changes in Ubuntu making it distinct from Debian, even though they are parallel in many ways. So no, using Linux Mint is not the same as using Debian.

frank392,
There is much discussion about using Debian as a base here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum.php?f=141

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

@bobcollard

"You are using Debian"
so according to your logic I'm using Debian or worst Ubuntu and not Mint. that is so funny :lol:

frank392
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frank392 »

@ proxima_centauri
Thank, i know I was testing the mint-devian edition some time ago, but is a project that slowly started to die :(

Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Gramps50 »

I think that was a community build and not an official Mint, I am not sure what happened to it. I am with you I would like to see Mint go to pure Debian but that is a big undertaking for a small group like the devlopers like Mint. The guys that developed eeebuntu for the e netbook which for version 3 and before was based on Ubuntu and now version 4 will be strictly based off debian sid. They are in public beta right now but as of yet it isn't even close to the working stable version (Ubuntu based).
LMDE ROCKS!!!

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

is there any chance that we can move from ubuntu to Debian PLEASE!!!!!
Why?

It's extremely helpful to have Ubuntu's large community so close, anything they come up with we can use ourselves :D

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There are enough differences and changes in Ubuntu making it distinct from Debian, even though they are parallel in many ways. So no, using Linux Mint is not the same as using Debian.
I agree. Ubuntu now calls itself a fork of Debian.
I would like to see Mint go to pure Debian but that is a big undertaking for a small group like the devlopers like Mint.
Warren Woffard has managed to build Mepis from Debian and he built the installer, the kernels and the tools.

I would prefer a Debian base.

vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

#! Crunchbang's new Statler release is now based on Debian Squeeze, instead of Ubuntu.

Crunchbang is now, also, releasing an Xfce Edition with Debian sources.
Unlike Xubuntu that used Xfce desktop over a Gnome-base, Crunchbang's Xfce does not have any of Gnome or KDE dependancies.
Which makes #!Statler- Xfce very, very fast and truly light-weight, as the Xfce Devs meant for it to be.

Apparently, the #! Devs used Debian Squeeze as the base, with the kernel from Debian Sid.
Squeeze will become the 'stable' release later this year. But, you can change the sources.list to point to 'testing' and continue to have a Rolling Release.

Download for Crunchbang Statler Xfce >> http://crunchbanglinux.org/downloads/statler/alpha-01/
Interview with the Crunchbang Developer, as to Why they moved to Debian >> http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com ... lains.html
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

Here is a quote from Warren Woodford the creator of MEPIS
At Mark Shuttleworth's urging I tried to base MEPIS on Ubuntu a few years ago and it resulted in a big mess. So I returned to Debian and have been happy with my decision ever since.
Here is the source of the quote.

http://www.osnews.com/story/23005/First ... yMEPIS_8_5
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)

monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by monkeyboy »

mick55 wrote:Here is a quote from Warren Woodford the creator of MEPIS
At Mark Shuttleworth's urging I tried to base MEPIS on Ubuntu a few years ago and it resulted in a big mess. So I returned to Debian and have been happy with my decision ever since.
Here is the source of the quote.

http://www.osnews.com/story/23005/First ... yMEPIS_8_5
To be fair to Ubuntu the afore mentioned switch occurred in 2006 which is a long time ago time in the evolution of the Ubuntu distro. Don't get me wrong I too am in favor of a Debian based Mint release but its best to have the context of statements in clear focus. JMHO
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

To be fair to Ubuntu the afore mentioned switch occurred in 2006 which is a long time ago
How is quoting Warren Woodford being unfair to Ubuntu?
His quote is from Mon 15th Mar 2010, and he says the switch was a few years ago.
but its best to have the context of statements in clear focus
I provided a link to the article the quote is from. What more context is needed.?
I too am in favor of a Debian based Mint release
Perhaps I am missing your point?

:?

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

I'm still curious why everyone would prefer a Debian base... what advantages would this have for Mint and the Mint community?

Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Fred »

RedWagon,

Please take this post with a grain of salt, as it is purely opinion on my part. It just seems that with every new version of Ubuntu that comes out, there are more regressions and bugs. All the bugs in one version don't get fixed before more are added.

I have been running sid, (sidux), for a while now and I honestly find it more stable than Ubuntu. I know Ubuntu is based on sid or testing but after they add the so called "polish," and make it stable it seems more broken than the original.

Clem does an admirable job of smoothing Ubuntu up but many things come in from upstream that he can't easily control. He has even instituted upgrade levels in a GUI format to help control the volatility.

Using Debian would be a big change to try to make. But if it could be done it would mean a much more stable system. With additional Mint repos it could have more cutting edge applications. Utilizing the rolling nature of sid would allow some interesting options that aren't currently available in the fixed Ubuntu releases. Of course you are correct that there would be some losses in leaving Ubuntu too.

Some interesting tradeoffs. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

What Fred said. :)

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

Midnighter wrote:What Fred said. :)
+1

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

My main concern is that I'm not altogether sure if the current development team has the manpower to be able to transfer to Debian as a base...that would probably be a considerable amount of work, wouldn't it? Are there ways for normal users like me to help out if Clem decides to move Mint towards a Debian base (most likely just beta-testing, right)?
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

vincent wrote:My main concern is that I'm not altogether sure if the current development team has the manpower to be able to transfer to Debian as a base...that would probably be a considerable amount of work, wouldn't it? Are there ways for normal users like me to help out if Clem decides to move Mint towards a Debian base (most likely just beta-testing, right)?

In my own limited view, I believe it would be some considerable work initially, but once settled onto a stable base (Debian), it would be much simpler to maintain, not requiring a complete rebuild every 6 months. There are other factors i meant to add, but this damn headache is making it difficult to focus and articulate them. Long and short of it tho, is it would be more stable, and consistent, with room to play. :)

MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

vincent wrote:My main concern is that I'm not altogether sure if the current development team has the manpower to be able to transfer to Debian as a base...that would probably be a considerable amount of work, wouldn't it? Are there ways for normal users like me to help out if Clem decides to move Mint towards a Debian base (most likely just beta-testing, right)?
Maybe it wouldn't take that much manpower. Mepis developer Warren Woodford switched from a Debian base to a Ubuntu base and then back again, and my impression is that Mepis had far less manpower than Mint does.

mick55
Level 6
Level 6

Post by mick55 »

MALsPa wrote:my impression is that Mepis had far less manpower than Mint does.
Apparently only Warren.

CrunchBang has also switched from Ubuntu to Debian as base, and I believe
that enterprise is a one man show.

So there is hope. :D

Return to “Non-technical Questions”