I don't know if this would be considered technical or not...

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
robbie85
Level 1
Level 1

I don't know if this would be considered technical or not...

Post by robbie85 »

Are there any perks to the 64-bit distro? Reading the downloads it sounds as if there's no perks, just instability. I mean are there any graphical advantages or do you pretty much have the same visual effects with both?

Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: I don't know if this would be considered technical or no

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Don't be put off by the line that 64 bit is less stable than 32 bit. The stability meant is in reference to changes and updates. The 64 bit version is newer than the 32 bit version and a few things are still being tweaked so there will be more updates.

I use the 64 and 32 bit versions of the Main Edition interchangeably and sometimes forget which version I am using at a given time. The biggest difference for me is that I have never gotten Adobe Flash Player 64 to work right. It's not a big deal to me since I very seldom watch flash videos of any type.

If your computer has more than 3 GB of RAM, you will need the 64 bit version to access all of it. 32 bit Mint will only access 3.2 GB of Ram without compiling and installing the PAE kernel module. If you are doing heavy video or audio editing or large scale computational tasks, the 64 bit version is the one to choose. Bear in mind, though, for day to day tasks, the 64 bit version uses 25-30% more RAM to do the same job as the 32 bit version.
Registered Linux User 483387

deleted

Post by deleted »

Instability is really a thing of the past. Ever since Debian "single sourced" their repositories, it's been stable, as Debian unstable can be;)
I've been using 64 bit (unstable) exclusively for 6 years and the only times it hiccuped was: 1) an earlier NVIDIA driver + xorg7 (resolved by using vesa for about 2 weeks) and 2) KDE3 to KDE4 (resolved by using Gnome until now)
-Hinto

vincent
Level 8
Level 8

Post by vincent »

I'm using a 64-bit version of Mint and I have no stability issues at all, not even with Flash x64. The only thing you have to worry about occasionally is compatibility, not stability. There are some programs out there that are designed for 32-bit only, so until 64-bit is fully embraced, you may have problems with those, although it's not too much of an issue, I'd say. After all, most computer manufacturers out there nowadays are building 64-bit capable machines and selling them, so 64-bit will slowly but surely gain more acceptance as time goes on.
Debian Testing x64/LM9 Main x64/Windows 7 x64 - LG R580 laptop w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 RAM, Nvidia Geforce G 105M, Ralink rt2860 802.11n, 300 GB WD HD 5400 rpm

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

robbie85 wrote:Are there any perks to the 64-bit distro? Reading the downloads it sounds as if there's no perks, just instability. I mean are there any graphical advantages or do you pretty much have the same visual effects with both?
64 bit generally performs better than 32 OS's. The bits is referring to the number of bits your processor is processing each cycle, so with a 64 bit OS you could theoretically process twice as much data at a time. The actual performance gain isn't anywhere near that, but still if your computer can handle a 64 bit OS you should go for it.

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

RedWagon wrote:
robbie85 wrote:Are there any perks to the 64-bit distro? Reading the downloads it sounds as if there's no perks, just instability. I mean are there any graphical advantages or do you pretty much have the same visual effects with both?
64 bit generally performs better than 32 OS's. The bits is referring to the number of bits your processor is processing each cycle, so with a 64 bit OS you could theoretically process twice as much data at a time. The actual performance gain isn't anywhere near that, but still if your computer can handle a 64 bit OS you should go for it.
Depending on the depth of the pipeline the processor is actually probably going through anywhere from 320 - 576 bits/cycle with a 64-bit architecture.

I guess that's just a matter of semantics though :P
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

RedWagon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RedWagon »

Depending on the depth of the pipeline the processor is actually probably going through anywhere from 320 - 576 bits/cycle with a 64-bit architecture.
o_O?

Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kaye »

Pipelining is a hardware technique that vastly improves the efficiency of our processors. Computers don't look at one instruction at a time like they used to; some architectures are actually able to look at pieces of up to 20 instructions at a time by splitting each instruction up into different stages and interpreting them one stage at a time. So a 64-bit processor could be looking at something like 9 64-bit instructions at once for an ideal total of 576 bits/clock cycle.

Of course the ideal is never reached in reality because of hardware collisions and hazards but it's still more than worth it.
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”