A convert from Windows to Linux

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
bruceleejr
Level 1
Level 1

A convert from Windows to Linux

Post by bruceleejr »

I am going to name the paragraphs, that way people can skip through if they don't want to read something:

I used to think Linux was garbage...
I used to think Linux was garbage just because, you know, I went with the Windows crowd. But the real reason was because Windows had applications galore. Any type of application that I could think of was created & honestly, I hated everything else. Bugs,spyware,viruses, trojans worms, BSODS, no customization (bblean's okay but nowhere compared to DE's (Desktop Environments) & Window Managers)people coming to me when their PC went down,solving SUPER complex virus problems, MONEY etc etc etc

"Linux FTW."...
I REALLy wanted to know what other options I had. I started looking for something like " Best Windows OS"... and things like XP vs 7 would come up & XP vs Vista... and then in some of the comments, some people would just say "Linux." or "Linux FTW." without saying anything else. Other Windows people would post super long @$$ posts about how to protect your PC, what hardware/software to buy, etc etc etc... like crazy long. And every once in a while there would be "Linux."..."Try Linux".... I was like, you know what, I am going to delve into this Linux thing and find out what it's about.

It was super confusing at first...
IT WAS SUPER CONFUSING at first... like I did not understand "package managers, RPM,Red Hat-based, distro, DEB,apt,yum, slackware, gentoo, ubuntu,kernel, unix-like, *-based,Desktop Environment, source code, CLI, portage, beryl, compizfusion,repo,repository or mostly anything Linux-related.There was no clear run-down of these terms because I just did not understand unless it was put into some kind of example(s). The first time I tried Linux was actually "Red Hat Enterprise" at school in a CIS190 class. It was cool because I never really experienced any other OS other than a Windows one. Installation was easy and I like the friendly look it had. I then got home & installed VirtualBox with Red Hat. I palyed around a bit but was unfamiliar with it. I did not know how to install apps or anything because I wanted a PC that "just worked". Weeks later, my XP PC gets a virus (figures) w/ all anti-virus,firewalls, router configs etc all set up. I was like " man forget this" I went on my other PC & looked up Linux, I seen Ubuntu and burned an ISO. I used a live CD & was impressed of how it ran on an old Dell. I liked the layout and everything. but I had problems connecting to Windows File shares, did'nt know where to get applications & did not know how "repos" worked. Baffled by MINOR things, I decided to install XP again. I was/still am working & in school so I did not have time to tweak things or just learn a whole new OS's commands.

It is really the perfect OS to convert Windows to Linux. But ...
I am a super power user & thought XP sp2 was the TOP. I seen Linux again once in a while in blog comments, reviews etc... I was interested once more. I was telling my brother about Linux because we were both Windows power users & both are into IT, and he says " hey if you try, try Linux Mint"... so I downloaded and installed VirtualBox again. I installed Linux Mint & liked everything. It is really the perfect OS to convert Windows to Linux. But I still didn't have time to learn a new OS. I kept XP & it was not until I started looking for jobs on craigslist & looking at some of the most high-tech people were "Linux" people. I was like, "man I thought Windows was the SH*T~!!" There has to be more to Linux than what I've experienced.I searched and researched and read and read about Linux as much as I can, trying to understand everything.

I decided to burn an ISO of Linux Mint 9 Isadora.
I decided to burn an ISO of Linux Mint 9 Isadora. THIS OS IS THE SMOOTHEST,SLEEKEST,FASTEST,EASIEST,NICEST, BEST OS for a Windows convert. It is definitely sick, especially since that it is based off ubuntu which is based off Debian which uses apt-get ( which I love) & supports XFCE ( thank God, I love XFCE). I started to experiment with all the other DE's, XFCE is the lightest THAT has the most applications. Although LXDE is light, does not have as much applications as XFCE, which is why I go with XFCE instead. I am a minimalist while keeping functionality. What definitely brought me over to Linux was the number of distrubutions to choose from, the abundance of free software, the communities, the light-years-beyond-windows security, the features, the package managers, the stories, the choices of customizing & making your own OS, Linus Torvalds, millions of other reasons & the FREE WORLD of OS.

Picking a Distro
After messing around with Linux Mint & learning some commands, I thought I'd try other distros for the more advanced. I am very interested & intrigued with Gentoo/Arch Linux/Slackware but I DEFINITELY do not got the time to be in a command line for days, even weeks LOL. I wish I had time otherwise I'd be in there like macaroni & cheese. So I decided to go with distros STRICLY deriving from Debian as I am most familiar with "apt-get". So I downloaded CrunchBang. I kinda liked it, like I said I am a minimalist & lightweight XFCE, but it felt incomplete & with no features/applications. I also could not get it to boot once installed. So I downloaded Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04 Minimal Install. I did that & installed XFCE. Hmm it was okay, but lacking something. Can't tell what though. Next I downloaded plain Debian minimal CD & installed that. It booted up with a VGA error or something " please adjust video resolution" or something so I could not get the GUI to start up & I don't know any commands to configure it. Next up was PC BSD. LOL. Everyone in my family was installing Linux Mint on their PC's after they heard all my stories about switching from Windows to Linux & they loved it. I wanted to be uniqe hahahahah So I uninstalled Mint & tried a totally different Operating System called Free BSD 8. Could not install it. I would name the errors but that would be for a FreeBSD forum. Then I looked for BSD alternatives and downloaded PCBSD. It uses the KDE environment but it didn't matter to me at this point since I was on a totally different Operating System, not knowing about it, so I didn't judge. I installed it but could not get it to boot. After that, I decided that I love Linux lol, I will just try a DIFFERENT distrobution. I downloaded Sabayon which I think is supposed to be user-friendly & based off Gentoo, so I wanted to see what that is about. Could not get it to install LOL. After that I just re-installed Mint & it is just so easy to configure, so nice, so sleek, & just top notch in all aspects imaginable.

I wanted to try Zenwalk, Arch, Sidux & Salix OS. But I had to go to Bed, LOL. Right now, I have:
Linux Mint 9 - Isadora with XFCE.

The obliviousness of Windows/Mac users is incredbile. Linux is the future.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Re: A convert from Windows to Linux

Post by Lantesh »

That's quite an adventure you've had on your way to Mint. Welcome aboard.
bruceleejr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bruceleejr »

haha thanks, i probly skipped a bunch stuff cuz my fingers were getting tired LOL... I shoulda came aboard WAY earlier~!!!!
admiralspark
Level 1
Level 1

Post by admiralspark »

This sounds alot like my switch. I kept on reading up on how amazing/secure/fast linux was, and so last August I got a copy of Knoppix to test out. Not the most user-friendly, but it worked great with my crappy old Compaq and booted from USB. In fact, my windows install grenaded and I used knoppix to save my files. After that, I decided a permanent switch (non wubi since the install was now dead) to Ubuntu 9.04 was in order. 9.04 worked swell, 9.10 even better, 10.04 killed everything. Canonical managed to screw up bigtime on that LTS. So, I switched to Mint. And I'm never going back.

I plan on building Gentoo when I get to college in a month or so, but that's staying on it's 16gb partition. Win7 is on this Lenovo of mine, but I use it for games only. Mint is fast, easy, VERY refined, and suffered none of the bugs that Ubuntu gave me. Well, my old IBM had a problem with 9, but this LEnovo doesnt.
Lenovo Y560: Intel i7 quad core, 8gb ram, 500gb hdd, ATi Radeon 5730 1GB dedicated, 15.6" HD widescreen, Linux Mint 10 x64/Windows 7 x64/Mint Debian
Please help convince Netflix to support Linux!
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Mint is fast, easy, VERY refined, and suffered none of the bugs that Ubuntu gave me.
That's why the latest Mint version comes out a while AFTER the latest Ubuntu :)
Mint Cinnamon 20

Return to “Non-technical Questions”