Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Post Reply
mig_akira
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:56 am

Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by mig_akira »

Hello everyone.

I'm using Helena 8 and have no plans updating to 9 for a few months.

Is it still receiving updates, or just Isadora?

Thanks!
Linux Mint 5.0 RC1 (Gnome)
Dell Vostro 1400 | Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4GHz | 2.5 GB Ram | nVidia GeForce 8400M GS | 120GB HD | DVD-RW |
User avatar
viking777
Level 14
Level 14
Posts: 5113
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 am

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by viking777 »

Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?
Yes.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
User avatar
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13
Posts: 4578
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:54 am
Location: Right about here

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The support cycle on MInt 8 is 18 months starting in November of 2009. If you want a longer support cycle, upgrade to Mint 9. This is a long term support release and will be supported for 36 months from May of 2010.
Registered Linux User 483387
mig_akira
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:56 am

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by mig_akira »

That's great, thanks a lot!!!
Linux Mint 5.0 RC1 (Gnome)
Dell Vostro 1400 | Core 2 Duo T8300 @ 2.4GHz | 2.5 GB Ram | nVidia GeForce 8400M GS | 120GB HD | DVD-RW |
User avatar
ultramint
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by ultramint »

viking777 wrote:
Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?
Yes.

HELENA is the main lady, however, I've duel booted KATYA. I have no problem with package downloads for KATYA but HELENA won't fetch. Is the HELENA package source no longer available?

Thanks for your help.
minty fine mint

cheers'
User avatar
Evil-K
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:27 pm
Location: Hermitage, TN
Contact:

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by Evil-K »

ultramint wrote:
viking777 wrote:
Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?
Yes.

HELENA is the main lady, however, I've duel booted KATYA. I have no problem with package downloads for KATYA but HELENA won't fetch. Is the HELENA package source no longer available?

Thanks for your help.
Because Helena reached its end of life in April 2011, i.e. it is no longer supported.
"Many people are so ungrateful to be alive, but not you... not anymore."
-Jigsaw

"...and I said 'Oatmeal?! Are you crazy?!"
-Pinkamena Diane Pie
User avatar
tomast
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by tomast »

Helena may not still being updated but you can still install packages if you change your sources.list
and you can update with all the updates that were released till end of support.
I still run Gloria Mint 7 on my desktop computer and this works for Gloria so hopefully it will also work for Helena.

in terminal run

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Then edit section under ## UBUNTU REPOSITORIES
change the sources to (the blue ones)

## +++ Ubuntu 9.10 karmic (stable) +++
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse


## +++ Backports & Proposed (not as stable) +++
#deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
#deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-proposed main restricted universe multiverse


then save and close the file

then in terminal run

sudo apt-get update

then in Synaptic Package Manager hit RELOAD button to be able to install new apps like VLC , gThumb etc...
Then you should also be able to run mintUpdate and get all available updates that were released. :)
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6714
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:38 pm
Location: Utrecht, The Netherlands

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by AlbertP »

You can still get a working repository and updater using the old-releases repos, but it's not supported and you might not get necessary security updates. In fact Mint 8 has already reached end of life in the first half of 2011 and we're now in 2012.
Registered Linux User #528502
Image
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
User avatar
tomast
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by tomast »

Image
User avatar
ultramint
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by ultramint »

tomast wrote:Helena may not still being updated but you can still install packages if you change your sources.list
and you can update with all the updates that were released till end of support.
I still run Gloria Mint 7 on my desktop computer and this works for Gloria so hopefully it will also work for Helena.

in terminal run

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Then edit section under ## UBUNTU REPOSITORIES
change the sources to (the blue ones)

## +++ Ubuntu 9.10 karmic (stable) +++
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse


## +++ Backports & Proposed (not as stable) +++
#deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-backports main restricted universe multiverse
#deb http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-proposed main restricted universe multiverse


then save and close the file

then in terminal run

sudo apt-get update

then in Synaptic Package Manager hit RELOAD button to be able to install new apps like VLC , gThumb etc...
Then you should also be able to run mintUpdate and get all available updates that were released. :)
Thanks tomast - Now how do I mark my post solved?
minty fine mint

cheers'
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17
Posts: 7624
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by remoulder »

ultramint wrote:Now how do I mark my post solved?
You are not the originator of this thread so you can't mark the thread as solved. This is why you should start your own thread. For reference you [Edit] the title of the first post and add [Solved].
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
User avatar
ultramint
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: Is the Helena 8 still receiving updates?

Post by ultramint »

remoulder wrote:
ultramint wrote:Now how do I mark my post solved?
You are not the originator of this thread so you can't mark the thread as solved. This is why you should start your own thread. For reference you [Edit] the title of the first post and add [Solved].
I suppose you can tell I don't visit the forum much :oops: Thanks for your advice :D
minty fine mint

cheers'
Post Reply

Return to “Non-technical Questions”