CAD software [SOLVED]

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BigSteve_G

CAD software [SOLVED]

Post by BigSteve_G »

Hope someone can help me with this - I'm looking for some CAD software for Linux Mint, nothing too fancy just basic design software.

-Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrkalak

Re: CAD software

Post by vrkalak »

QCad is a light-weight, user-friendly CAD application in Linux ... not as mature as AutoCAD, (but, then what is)
QCad is an application for computer aided drafting (CAD) in two dimensions (2D).
With QCad you can create technical drawings such as plans for buildings, interiors, mechanical parts or schemas and diagrams.

Official QCad websites >>
http://www.qcad.org/qcad.html
http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html

Checkout QCad from the websites; but, don't download or install the application/program from there.
Avoid all the hassle, of finding a CAD program from an outside source and go through the Synaptic Package Manager instead.
The Synaptic Repros are always easiest and "the recommended" method.

It can be easily installed through the Synaptic Manager. (Yup, it's there, I just checked)
By using the QCad program from the Synaptic Manager, all the dependancies are also, downloaded and sorted in their respective files.
QCad will then appear in the Menu and will be upgraded automatically.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

As for "Why do I use QCad?"
I am a Registered Architect ... and I use GNU/Linux and Open Source exclusively for my work.
I use a combination of QCad (in the repros) and Archimedes for Linux (compiled from source) and Blender for rendering.
Anselgrey23

Post by Anselgrey23 »

I downloaded LTSpiceIV and run it under Wine. It's good stuff - intuitive interface, etc. Linear Technologies mentions that they have tested it with Wine in their documentation. You'd probably have to make your own symbols, but you might check through their downloads.
marian1

Post by marian1 »

How about QCAD?
Here are some main features of QCAD:
-35 CAD fonts included
- Over 40 construction tools
-Over 20 modification tools
- Construction and modification of points, lines, arcs, circles, ellipses, splines, polylines, texts, dimensions, hatches, fills, raster images
-Measuring tools
- Part library with over 4800 CAD parts.
BigSteve_G

Re: CAD software [SOLVED]

Post by BigSteve_G »

Thanks for the replys, I went with QCAD in the end (I know my own replys a bit late as I've been busy with other thingS then forgot about it))

I've not had chance to play around with it yet - I was expecting something a bit simpler but after a little playing around this is spot-on & better then I had expected so thanks again - & as an added plus it reminded me of when I was a trainee CAD draughtsman on AutoCAD - 90's raves memories coming back.........
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

You have not tried Draft Sight then!

http://www.3ds.com/products/draftsight/ ... -cad/#vid1
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
ellipse55

Post by ellipse55 »

+1 for DraftSight! I really like this piece of software.

Best,
Pierre.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

I notice the Linux version is for Ubuntu. Does anyone know whether it will work for LMDE, please?
ellipse55

Post by ellipse55 »

Yes, it does. I have installed it and am using it in both 32-bit and 64-bit LMDE.

Best,
Pierre.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

tenfoot wrote:I notice the Linux version is for Ubuntu. Does anyone know whether it will work for LMDE, please?
The "Linux version" of which App/program are you referring?
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

vrkalak wrote:
tenfoot wrote:I notice the Linux version is for Ubuntu. Does anyone know whether it will work for LMDE, please?
The "Linux version" of which App/program are you referring?
DraftSight.
jagwinn

Post by jagwinn »

Using DraftSight on Mint 10 Julia...no problems.

All the commands of DS are the same as AutoCAD2000 full release. AutoCAD2000LT is harder to use than DS!

I have XP as part of Triple boot (XP, Ubuntu 10 and Mint 10) for the legacy AutoCAD and since I found and started using DraftSight, I don't even go to Windows anymore.

Oh, and DS will open ANY dwg that I did in AutoCAD from v.10 thru 2010. Even older AutoCAD's will not open all versions!

Glad I found it.
John

Return to “Non-technical Questions”