Fedora Edition?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Nick_Djinn

Re: Fedora Edition?

Post by Nick_Djinn »

In my opinion, a good intro into servers would be a GUI based server edition that comes with website software already built in and assembled, like PHPBB/Drupal/Joomla/Wordpress/Zencart, and building a website that you can host from your own highspeed internet connection hosted on your own home server could be just as easy as signing up with a hosting provider....that would be something different that sets it apart from Ubuntu servers.

That, or maybe the cloud idea. Make it easy to set up a server for a small company as a file database or to host your own cloud applications...set it up so you can EASILY use the computing power of your own server on your Android/Palm/Bada/Iphone or mobile computing device so that it seamlessly supports your processing power, or have tools for creating and hosting your own web apps for others to use.

If mint goes the server direction, they would have to have a new slant to justify the move. What is their angle that separates them from Ubuntu or Debian once you take away the GUI?
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

Fedora remix with all the bells and whistles:

http://omega.dgplug.org/

All other remixes/derivatives here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DerivedDistributions
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

thanks
zole052

Post by zole052 »

Fusion Linux
Fusion Linux is a Fedora remix that adds all the best software that is available for Linux (free, non-free and even some non-open source firmware and applications for better user experience). It is an installable live DVD image that includes multimedia functionality out of the box, with added desktop tweaks for better usability, and additional software. Fusion Linux is 100% compatible with Fedora, including packages from Fedora and RPM Fusion software repositories.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=fusion
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

hrm now i personally don't see much appeal in a fedora base, slackware on the other hand........
or maybe even arch? :mrgreen:

No but seriously, I couldn't be happier than having LMDE at the moment.
roshichris

Post by roshichris »

Speaking as an ex-Fedora user I don't see any value in a Mint Fedora edition. There are distinct advantages to using LMDE over the standard Mint editions so that version made sense (I am using it now - it's become my most-used distro on my laptop), but using Fed/CentOS? I really don't see any value beyond curiosity value.

As for a server edition, thats an even worse idea. If someone wants that sort of thing there is Ebox/Zentyal or ClearOS. Mint is clearly a desktop-distro, Lets retain some distro-specific focus here - vive la difference!

We know what happens when an OS tries to be all things to all people - we've had that for the last 15 years remember!
gotjazz

Post by gotjazz »

nicely put - I think (although other bases would be valuable at times: maybe a very conservative stable one like debian stable, centOS etc) the two bases available right now really do cover most of what a desktop user could need. Maybe lmde could get a more prominent place overall - that's what I'd be happier to see. Maybe even rolling down the "main" edition to a yearly release in fvour of working on it. I mean who says every Ubuntu release needs a mint counterpart.....
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

gotjazz wrote:Maybe even rolling down the "main" edition to a yearly release in fvour of working on it. I mean who says every Ubuntu release needs a mint counterpart.....
+1
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
roshichris

Post by roshichris »

+1 from me too.

With squeeze currently being pretty damned stable I see LMDE as "the stable mint", so again I don't really see that a centos base would add much value. If another release of LMDE in 12 months or so arrived with sources.list targeting squeeze or stable rather than testing it really would be a very stable option. The beauty of debian again - it's a stable as you want it.

I actually think the linux mint tools better suit a stable-type distro to be honest anyway - that's how I use LMDE. I run arch and assorted other distros for cutting edge stuff and general tinkering, while mint's little helper apps help make it a convenient, everyday workhorse.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

If Mint can do something revolutionary, something which makes building a server easier than the standard Ubuntu, something which makes it easier to develop your own home cloud services or commercial cloud services that does not exist in Ubuntu....I say go for it.

As it stands now, the changes they are implementing are geared for end users, and there are not enough functional differences that would apply to servers, but they seem like a smart crew of developers, so I wont put it past them.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Even though some of the mods might not like me on the Ubuntu forums for my harsh criticism of their moderating style, which is much nicer and more relaxed here btw, Ive noticed that a lot of my ideas which may or may not have been unique (they were to me when I posted them) seem to have been implemented by Ubuntu....maybe great minds think alike, but it seems like they really do pick up on ideas created by the community.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”