Isadora vs. Julia

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
easyed
Level 1
Level 1

Isadora vs. Julia

Post by easyed »

I have another question for the community. Which Linux Mint distro do you favour between 9 and the recently released 10?

Admitted, both are excellent distros. I tend to give a very slight edge to Isadora (9) due to a) LTS support; and b) A bit better performance in video streaming.

One is curious of what others are thinking. Thank you in advance for any input.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Isadora vs. Julia

Post by JasonLG »

easyed wrote:I have another question for the community. Which Linux Mint distro do you favour between 9 and the recently released 10?

Admitted, both are excellent distros. I tend to give a very slight edge to Isadora (9) due to a) LTS support; and b) A bit better performance in video streaming.

I tried 10 but switched back to 9 because of video and audio performance regressions. I'll check out 11 when it's released in April-ish? but in general I'm pretty happy with 9.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Post by colyn »

JasonLG wrote: I tried 10 but switched back to 9 because of video and audio performance regressions. I'll check out 11 when it's released in April-ish? but in general I'm pretty happy with 9.
On my Dell laptop Mint 10 outperforms Mint 9 including audio and video.
JasonLG
Level 7
Level 7

Post by JasonLG »

colyn wrote:
JasonLG wrote: I tried 10 but switched back to 9 because of video and audio performance regressions. I'll check out 11 when it's released in April-ish? but in general I'm pretty happy with 9.
On my Dell laptop Mint 10 outperforms Mint 9 including audio and video.
Don't know what to tell you, different chipset.
"I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who stuck his wooden leg out the window to check the weather.
Cheesethief
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cheesethief »

Video/audio seems the exact same to me as it was in 9. >_>
Desktop: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6670 1GB: Windows 8.1 Pro
Laptop: Intel Core i7-2675QM 2.2GHz, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M/Intel HD Graphics 3000: Linux Mint 17.1
Server: Raspberry Pi Model B: Raspbian Wheezy
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

easyed wrote:I have another question for the community. Which Linux Mint distro do you favour between 9 and the recently released 10?

I prefer Linux Mint 10 and I'm currently running it.

LTS support is negligible because I don't want to use something old. 18 months is a relatively good length of time and 36 months is way too long. If you are going to use something ancient then why not go to Windows XP? I mean, it's 9 years old and will be supported for another 3 years.

Not sure about video streaming. I don't have any problems streaming any video in Mint 10 64-bit.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I am running both 9 and 10 due to the fact there are a few bugs in 10. I think 9 runs smoother than 10 does just my opinion. Mint 10 does have a better look. thats just my opinion.
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
Dutchmaster
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dutchmaster »

I switched back to Isadora because Julia would not run flash video full screen without freezing up. It's the same with Ubuntu 10-10 vs 10-04. Lots of fixes suggested in forums around the web, but my Dell Inspiron 530 always reverted back to the freeze up in short order.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

willie42 wrote:I am running both 9 and 10 due to the fact there are a few bugs in 10. I think 9 runs smoother than 10 does just my opinion. Mint 10 does have a better look. thats just my opinion.
What isn't running smooth in 10? Just want to know so I can try to look for it myself. I'm running Mint 10 64-bit on a Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz 12MB L2 with 6GB DDR2-800 and a Radeon HD 5850 1GB GDDR5. It runs smooth as a baby's butt.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Dont get me wrong 10 runs smoothe. I have used 9 for a long time. and there are some apps that do not work very well in julia like the Start up Disk creator in the control center. If you want to try to create KDE bootable thumb Drive and see if you can do it. I also notice that with Julia that my My main sound does not shut off when I plug the head phones in when in Isadora it does for me..... Not a whole lot of issue just little things. But I am mostly happy with Julia....I am not going back to Windows.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

willie42 wrote:Dont get me wrong 10 runs smoothe. I have used 9 for a long time. and there are some apps that do not work very well in julia like the Start up Disk creator in the control center. If you want to try to create KDE bootable thumb Drive and see if you can do it. I also notice that with Julia that my My main sound does not shut off when I plug the head phones in when in Isadora it does for me..... Not a whole lot of issue just little things. But I am mostly happy with Julia....I am not going back to Windows.
Ah, I see. I haven't tried the Start Up Disk Creator. That's used to create a bootable USB drive, right? I do have a spare 8GB Mushkin USB drive. I'll wipe it and give it a try. Not sure about KDE though. I don't bother with that. I have the ISO for Mint 9 and Mint 10 main. Will get back to you on it.

Can't verify the sound issue myself because I have an Audigy2 ZS and it doesn't have front panel audio connectors. I use the headphone port on my Logitech Z-2300 volume control pod for that.

Outside of those "bugs" there is no issue with the interface or environment not being smooth though, right?
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Over all smoothe.......there are lots of little things. I am at work and cant pin point everything at the moment....nothing that jumps out thats so major I cant deal with them. I am so glad not to have to deal with windows.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I like sticking with LTS distros in both Mint and Ubuntu, and so I'll probably stick with Mint 9 until the next LTS comes out. It doesn't bother me to keep a distro version going for a few years, as long as everything's working. But I like reading what folks have to say about Mint 10 in comparison to Mint 9.
willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

I plan to keep using Mint 9 but will experiment with others to see how I like them and who knows I might find one I like better before the next LTS comes out
Koffeehaus
Level 2
Level 2
Location: London > England > United Kingdom > British Isles > Europe > Earth

Post by Koffeehaus »

I've tried Mint 10,

But then I had a problem with installing proprietary wireless drivers (had to change some logs), after which any connecting USB's stopped mounting. And then it stared freezing when on battery power. Since I'm reasonably new to Linux, I thought It's not worth the problem and switched back to Isadora.

But I thought that Mint-X theme is amazing, so I installed it on my Mint 9. However, can't get the metal-brush effect; but it's still wicked as it is.
Mint 10 Gnome eMachines E620 AMD64 ATI
CaptainJupiter
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CaptainJupiter »

I tried Mint 10, but could not get hibernate to work (Dell Inspiron 1525). Then the fonts suddenly became thin, for no reason that I could fathom. I could see no real advantage, for myself, to 10, so reverted to 9.
grey1960envoy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by grey1960envoy »

I run a Dell 1525 with 4 GB of ram and don't find any trouble running Julia ,but I never had problems with 9 either ( my wife still runs it on an eMachines 625 )I just like the newer version, my personal taste
In a perfect world everything has it's place, Linux on my computer, windows on the wall, and M$ in the trash!
CrunchBang, LMDE, Mint 9 ,Peppermint Hackintosh and a few others :) Registered ...Machine; #432150 user ;#530829
MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

I vote Gloria. It was the last version of Mint to work on my computer. I blame Ubuntu for this.
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I am running 9 and 10 on separate partitions on one machine and just 9 on another (my primary computer - Dell Inspiron 1564 laptop, Intel Core i3-330m CPU, 4GB RAM). 10 takes way too long to come out of sleep or hibernate and reconnect to a network, has glitches with video where the machine requires restart or closure and opening of the screen twice (Intel graphics) and an occasional freeze. There are tons of posts about freezing, wireless pains not present in 9, the desktop delay after sleep/hibernate, etc. Check ubuntuforums.org to confirm since the community is so much larger....same issues between 10.04 and 10.10 that we see from 9 to 10 (which makes sense).

I like 10 for its aesthetics. It's gorgeous....not that 9 isn't, but 10 just looks even more sleek. But functionally I have to give it to 9. And the argument of old software seems silly right now since it's not even been a year since release of 9. I am sure by next summer I'll have migrated over to the new Mint Debian permanently, but who knows....11 could be so awesome I just want to stay on the Ubuntu base. Choice is great!
Boringbytes
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Boringbytes »

I'm trying out mint 10 on my e-machine, but honestly there have been some problems.
So far, I prefer Mint 9, though that may change with a little more time.
Wishing there really was a Linux guide for the thick and stupid, so I could be reading it right now.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”