Future Releases (No more GNOME???)

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Koffeehaus
Level 2
Level 2
Location: London > England > United Kingdom > British Isles > Europe > Earth

Future Releases (No more GNOME???)

Post by Koffeehaus »

Ok, this is what I've read on Wikipedia:
The naming of Ubuntu 11.04 was announced on 17 August 2010 by Mark Shuttleworth. Its release is planned for 28 April 2011. Ubuntu Desktop will use Unity User Interface instead of GNOME Shell as default. The move to Unity is controversial as GNOME developers fear it will fracture the community and marginalize GNOME Shell.

Ubuntu 11.04 will use Banshee as the default music player, replacing Rhythmbox. Other new applications will include Mozilla Firefox 4 and LibreOffice, which will likely replace OpenOffice.org.
Since LinuxMint's releases are based on respective Ubuntu releases, does that mean we are going to wave goodbye to the GNOME and Rhythmbox? I surely hope not!
Mint 10 Gnome eMachines E620 AMD64 ATI
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Future Releases (No more GNOME???)

Post by proxima_centauri »

You're confusing GnomeShell with Gnome. GnomeShell and Unity User Interface are compositing managers for the desktop, with Gnome still running underneath either. We will not lose Gnome because of this.

As for Rhythmbox, I do not know whether Linux Mint will adopt the change or keep Rhythmbox as default.
Koffeehaus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Koffeehaus »

proxima_centauri wrote:You're confusing GnomeShell with Gnome. GnomeShell and Unity User Interface are compositing managers for the desktop, with Gnome still running underneath either. We will not lose Gnome because of this.

As for Rhythmbox, I do not know whether Linux Mint will adopt the change or keep Rhythmbox as default.
That's good news! For a second there I somehow felt...betrayed...

So is it safe to assume, that from the cosmetics point of view, the desktop would look more or less the same? And not have some weird icons on the left like the netbook edition?

http://space.arca.com.sg/wp-content/upl ... etbook.png
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri »

It's very possible that Linux Mint will choose to stick with the current layout of Gnome, and not use gnome-shell or ubuntu unity.
specmod0
Level 3
Level 3

Post by specmod0 »

Lets port everything good from ubutnu to debian and quit using that buggy OS.... they have a nice grapichs card driver installer that needs to be ported to debian...
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

Correct, Ubuntu isn't getting rid of Gnome, but only using the Gnome-shell as default.

The basic Ubuntu 11.04 will be using the Unity-shell over Gnome 2.3
You will still be able to access the Gnome-shell (ie: the Gnome desktop) that you are so familiar with -- if you so wish.
So far, Unity does not effect Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu, only Ubuntu (Gnome)

The Unity desktop in Ubuntu, is the same desktop was in the Ubuntu Netbook Remix ... the Ubuntu Devs took that and re-configured Unity for the PC desktop.
Give Unity a chance ... you might like what the Ubuntu Devs have done with it, over what Unity was in the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.

This review sheds new light on Unity >>
Unity - What is it good for? An in-depth review. >> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/unity.html

The review was done by someone independent and impartial to Ubuntu.
I myself, do not use Ubuntu, Unity or Gnome
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica »

maybe change is good

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

proxima_centauri wrote:It's very possible that Linux Mint will choose to stick with the current layout of Gnome, and not use gnome-shell or ubuntu unity.
Or possibly release a Mint Unity version.
MintyFree
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyFree »

specmod0 wrote:Lets port everything good from ubutnu to debian and quit using that buggy OS.... they have a nice grapichs card driver installer that needs to be ported to debian...
I agree, make Debian Edition into the main version. Have a Minty-Debian that has the old Ubuntu installer but everything else will be nice 'n Debian.
Monster Desktop: 4GB DDR2 RAM/2.5 GHz AMD Phantom II Quad-Core/ATI Radeon 4200 with 512MB of Memory
Betamine: 756MB DDR RAM/1.8GHz AMD Sempron +3000 Single-Core/SiS -something- with like 16MB of Memory
Anthorn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Anthorn »

Of course Mint will change in accordance with Ubuntu in the pursuit of the latest and greatest technology. That will happen because Ubuntu is not alone in updating and other distros such as OpenSuSe are going even further. If no change then Mint will be left behind in the competition stakes. But personally, I wonder whether the old technology of the office suite rehashed under the new name of LibreOffice will be any better than OpenOffice. Office Suites in themselves are rather like insurance: Good to have in case we need it but we never really expect to use it. We've moved on to email and web apps!
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

JonM33,

Why do you want to damage/destroy other peoples computers ?

To all other members - do not follow anything that JonM33 says or recommends.
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

richyrich wrote:JonM33,

To all other members - do not follow anything that JonM33 says or recommends.
It's a joke. I know you Linux users don't know how to laugh or have any sense of humor though.

Don't worry, nobody here will do that anyway because nobody here is a Mac fanatic.
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

When YOU suggest a command that will harm another . . you have been reported !
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Post by mmesantos1 »

Merry Christmas Every one. :D
JonM33

Post by JonM33 »

richyrich wrote:When YOU suggest a command that will harm another . . you have been reported !
LOL! When did I suggest this? I never typed it out at all. It's a picture that someone else made.

Reported?!?! Oh NO! What am I to do! There aren't any other internet forums than this one! I won't know what else to do if for some odd reason I was restricted from this one! Now I am going to fake cry over this! Thanks a lot!

/sarcasm
richyrich
Level 19
Level 19

Post by richyrich »

willie42
Level 7
Level 7

Post by willie42 »

Absolut33 wrote:
richyrich wrote:Why do you want to damage/destroy other peoples computers ?
Well, if someone is using a Mac then it's their own fault. LOL!
It dont matter what platform they are using. It is wrong to destroy anyones stuff. We ought to treat each other with respect and help each other and get along.

Merry Christmas
Comptia A+ Certified Technician
Comptia Network + Certified Technician
You can not have Success without Failures.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

willie42 wrote:It dont matter what platform they are using. It is wrong to destroy anyones stuff. We ought to treat each other with respect and help each other and get along.
Yes. But unfortunately, and although JonM33 is perhaps gone too far sometimes, some people just did not do "just" that. But, and if we stopped this here? Let's move on... :!:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Dave68
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave68 »

I'm not real sure I like this whole Unity Plan anyway. Maybe because I like the Traditional Desktop.

As far as LibreOffice, earlier today I was reading something that was written back in mid November that kind of peaked my intrest.
"Our code base is getting old," explained Charles Schulz, a member of the Document Foundation's steering committee, in a recent blog post. "Worse, the whole frigging software looks and feels like we're stuck in the Bush area. Many things were not fixed, some others need a complete rewrite."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... _beta.html

How about Wayland Graphics over X:
"We don't believe X is set up to deliver the user experience we want, with super-smooth graphics and effects," Shuttleworth explained. "I understand that it's *possible* to get amazing results with X, but it's extremely hard, and isn't going to get easier."
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/a ... ystem.html

I hope Mint 11 keeps working on older machines with these new enhancements that are going to be put in to the Ubuntu Code. It looks pretty nice, but I came to Linux so that I could keep my old PC's up and going with a great OS that includes lower resource demands.

I guess, simply put, Mint was simple for me to install, and it just worked. I didn't have go purchase more RAM, or change out my Motherboard or my Graphics Card. I've never had any trouble with wireless.

I'm one of the luckier ones. I'm running different variations of Mint Isadora on 8 and 10 year old machines, it would be really hard for me to go out and fork out the cash for a new machine, just to run a newer version of Mint. Mint Debian is looking pretty good from this side of the fence, if I wasn't so partial to Gnome.

My 2 Cents,
Dave
Linux User: 528038
Primary PC: Version: LMDE (201101), 32 Bit.
Alternate 1: Version: Peppermint One OS, 32 Bit.
Laptop: Version: Julia Main (10), AMD 64
Koffeehaus
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Koffeehaus »

Ubuntu wants to go solo,

They have Canonical that develops stuff and Unity has a more restricted copyright than that of most Linux software. It won't be long until Ubuntu and Canonical end up developing "their own" Linux systems and turn into a corporate monster, like Apple.

My subjective thoughts...

I'd rather see LinuxMint 11 with Gnome 3 (and option for 2 as well)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”