Windows 7

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
HynoTech
Level 1
Level 1

Windows 7

Post by HynoTech » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:38 pm

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone here had noticed the remarkable similarities between Linux Mint and Windows 7, yet. My son just got sent a laptop from his school that was loaded up with it, and it seems like they're doing everything they can to copy the look and feel of Linux. 8)

gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Windows 7

Post by gibbs1984 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:32 am

To be honest, no. I have a Windows 7 partition along side my Linux Mint Gnome partition and the only thing I can see that maybe is the same is the mintMenu, what is it that you think looks the same?

Unless we're talking about KDE?
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.

Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:05 am

I think most of the desktops are "borrowing" from one another these days. And some will just complain that the other had it first, etc, but so many elements simply get re-used, it doesn't really matter. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

jesica
Level 9
Level 9

Post by jesica » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:10 am

it does not look the same to me

Happy apt-get-ing!

Security is the separation of an asset from a threat.

hunkirdowne
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hunkirdowne » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:23 am

Probably the biggest similarity I see is the running application preview widget available for the panel ('task bar' for Windows and 'dock' for Mac OS X). But almost regardless which "Linux" desktop environment you use (GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc.) this and many other features can be turned on/off so it doesn't always show up. I've found the panel(s) and other desktop objects to be so highly configurable in Mint (as well as other distros based on the Linux kernel) that you can probably mimic just about any Windows or Mac OS X desktop at least in appearance if not function.

Windows' task bar is rather customizable as well, I might add, but it does require a little more effort and it doesn't always yield a usable result. In fact, I have modified (in XP) the environment to have skinny title bars, skinny task bar, etc. in an effort to gain some screen real estate. But this is just one of many reasons why Mint (and other Debian-based distros) are my first choice to get my (personal) work done -- the 'out of the box' experience works better for me than either of the other two more commercial solutions out of Redmond and Cupertino.

My 15.0" TFT display running 1400 x 1050 looks absolutely wonderful on this Pentium-4 laptop w/ KDE 3.5.10 ... :-)

In the end, I guess I'm a bit spartan in my approach but I prefer the screen to be devoted to the task and not the menus, icons, and other bling. I really like having access to functions that I can keystroke or right-mouse-click to get when I need them but are otherwise unobtrusive.
--
\___...---^---...___/
_\-------------------/

Dajunka
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dajunka » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:49 am

After taking up Linux for a week I booted up my windows 7, and my first impression was how horrible windows 7 really is in comparison to Linux mint.
I have now been a Linux user for about a month and in all of that time Mint has never crashed or locked up on me. Going back to windows 7 to handle a bit of work resulted in 1 crash and one system freeze in the space of one hour.

Once I have found a way to run my last few applications on Linux, then it will be bin time for my windows 7. :)
Now reading (The Linux Guide for the thick and stupid)

cpatrick08
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cpatrick08 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:56 am

Dajunka wrote:After taking up Linux for a week I booted up my windows 7, and my first impression was how horrible windows 7 really is in comparison to Linux mint.
I have now been a Linux user for about a month and in all of that time Mint has never crashed or locked up on me. Going back to windows 7 to handle a bit of work resulted in 1 crash and one system freeze in the space of one hour.

Once I have found a way to run my last few applications on Linux, then it will be bin time for my windows 7. :)
i am just waiting for the day that netflix works with Linux then goodbye Microsoft and windows 7

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:25 pm

HynoTech wrote:Hello all,
I was just wondering if anyone here had noticed the remarkable similarities between Linux Mint and Windows 7, yet..
Not necessarily so, but..
  • Every desktop OS or even cloud computing OS or Mobile OS is copying everyone else
    --if they spot an idea that seems to give one vendor an edge, they will all start copying it. the same thing happens with Movies: hence we get a run of action pictures or dramas or comedies or romances every so often, as in that's just a trend..
With some vendors the Who is first question? is seemingly important to their company, so they make the claim; whether or not it is a complete lie (or as they might say in marketing world only a spin) or not!

AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:51 pm

Hmm indeed, that you get an A when pressing the A is also similar and Linux copied that behaviour from other OSes.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.

pythagorean
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pythagorean » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:48 pm

The aero effects in windows 7 take a lot mmore graphics capability than the compiz effects in linux do. You can get some effects out of Linux in a virtual box but you get nothing from windows in a virtual box.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:25 am

I have windoze 7 on an old dusty partition that is infrequently booted unless I want to punish myself :mrgreen: I also have it installed in virtualbox for those windoze apps I need to run. My impression is a counterfeit sluggishly slow Gnome desktop with minimal compositing effects.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB

Ash-Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ash-Lee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:56 pm

The gimmicky 'aero-snap' feature, i actually find useful. 8)

But i find 'Alt-Tab-Arrow' better, multiple desktops makes life easier for me. 8)

maverickjesterx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maverickjesterx » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Hyno,
I really think its the other way around. Windows 7 does not look like Linux but Linux Mint or Linux running KDE which also copied WIndows Look and feel. Linux Mint looks like Windows imho to help people transition over to Linux. If the look and feel is similar the transition will be easier. Most Linux that runs Gnome looks more like OS X.
Don't stress, let other people do that.

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:11 pm

maverickjesterx wrote:Hyno,
I really think its the other way around. Windows 7 does not look like Linux but Linux Mint or Linux running KDE which also copied WIndows Look and feel. Linux Mint looks like Windows imho to help people transition over to Linux. If the look and feel is similar the transition will be easier. Most Linux that runs Gnome looks more like OS X.
If you want to get technical, they all copied IBM OS\2. Windoze 95 looked like OS\2 2.1 from 1992. :mrgreen:

Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE

Roken
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Roken » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:00 pm

Actually, they all copied Xerox - circa 1972:

Kernel Linux Tex 4.8.13-1-ARCH (64 bit) xfce , burg
Arch
GTX680 4Gb
OSS4
AMD Phenom II X4 (965BE) @ 3.6 Ghz
8Gb RAM

rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Roken wrote:Actually, they all copied Xerox - circa 1972:
Well then we can all agree the Bill Gates did not invent the GUI, he was the original software pirate :mrgreen:
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE

maverickjesterx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maverickjesterx » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:07 am

Yes they did all copy Zerox. There was a book fire in the valley and later a tv film The Pirates of Silcon Valley or something to that effect that covers all of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirates_of_Silicon_Valley). I was just commenting on the original posters comments about Windows Copying Linux.
Don't stress, let other people do that.

Hawkeye_52
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hawkeye_52 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:19 pm

I was recently out wish-shopping for my next computer (read absolutely can't afford, but REALLY want). My reading had driven me to look at touch screens -- that seems to be the direction technology is taking us, either expectantly or kicking and screaming no -- so I went to my local large technology store to see what hardware was available. I say hardware because in the last 8 years of computer shopping, my buying practice has been to pick the hardware that suited me, go home, and wipe Windows before I installed my favorite Linux distro (or two). I fully expect to do the same this time.

The sale clerk was very helpful in getting me acquainted with touch screen technology. Cute, but I'm not sure it's ready for prime time (or maybe it's just my old school habits/attitudes :oops: ), and there was nothing especially redeeming about Windows 7 -- at least for me. Except -- except. The sales clerk showed me the web cam app that, I guess is a part of Windows 7. I was captivated! It will show you your picture, but it did so many more things -- combining so many aspects of different graphics that I had to chuckle with pleasure. Image manipulation, multiple avatars that move their faces in mimic of your movements as you speak and/or gesture. It was, well, just fun to play with. I could have spent as much time with that app as I would with a game...

In summary, I would definitely not 'switch teams' for their web cam app, but it was intriguing, engaging, and just plain fun. The number of different graphic apps that would have to be integrated in Linux to make something similar means that we probably won't have anything similar in the near future.

For all the fun I got out of those 5-10 minutes, it is a fairly sad commentary that the web cam app was really the only redeeming feature I found in Windows 7 after a fairly serious 45-60 minute test drive. Everybody's mileage, of course, may vary... :wink:

Hawkeye

donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:32 pm

Hi Hawkeye,
What version of Windows 7 did the touchpad have? I ask because I have a Gateway computer that came with Win7 Home Premium and it did not come with software for the webcam. This makes me think the software was something the computer manufacture added instead of being part of Win7.
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE

Hawkeye_52
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hawkeye_52 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:52 pm

donec wrote:Hi Hawkeye,
What version of Windows 7 did the touchpad have? I ask because I have a Gateway computer that came with Win7 Home Premium and it did not come with software for the webcam. This makes me think the software was something the computer manufacture added instead of being part of Win7.
Donec,

I am not sure, but I do know that it was a brand-new HP touch screen, I was walking up as the tech was finishing up on the installation. That means I was the first to use the new display computer. Not being that much of a Windows person, I just assumed that it would be the normal, most current version of Windows.

Your question raises an interesting and valid point, that may have made my post irrelevant :oops:. The web cam app may well have been a 'tweak' provide by HP. It would not be beyond them to do that. I did not look at any other brands and their touch screens, to see if the app was present on them. Next time I visit the store, I am going to have to investigate that. Until then, it looks like my comments regarding Windows, specifically, may have been a little 'half-baked'.

I am sorry if this gave the wrong impression regarding Windows, but however that web cam app came about -- it was fun!...

Hawkeye

Return to “Non-technical Questions”