Windows 7

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrHu

Re: Windows 7

Post by DrHu »

I don't think touch screens work for a desktop, or even a regular sized notebook (15" or more)
--they do work for smart-phones and some texting (twits alive!)

I wonder whatever happened to Microsoft's coffee table computer (the ubiquitous/hidden computer -->shades of StarTrek) or have they just decided that connected (internet access) and the cloud is the way to go
  • All are connected all the time
    --now that is really gadget retention syndrome!
donec
Level 4
Level 4

Post by donec »

Kind of sounds like maybe the webcam software was ManyCam Virtual Webcam.
What is ManyCam?

- Use your webcam with multiple programs simultaneously.
- Add text to your webcam video window with any application.
- Add cool animations to your video window.
- Show your local day and date in your video window.
- Add live CGI graphics like fire and water effects. You can even make it appear as if it is snowing inside your house!
Don
http://bestwebstop.webcentr.net
Links and accurate information provide the best answer, while garbage in provides garbage out.ImageRegistered Linux user # 449322
Moved up to LM17 KDE
Hawkeye_52

Post by Hawkeye_52 »

donec wrote:Kind of sounds like maybe the webcam software was ManyCam Virtual Webcam.
What is ManyCam?

- Use your webcam with multiple programs simultaneously.
- Add text to your webcam video window with any application.
- Add cool animations to your video window.
- Show your local day and date in your video window.
- Add live CGI graphics like fire and water effects. You can even make it appear as if it is snowing inside your house!
Donec,
This may have been a starting point, but the app that I saw on the new HP touch screen was much more polished and complete. For instance, it did not just superimpose avatar aspects on my face -- it completely replaced my face with the avatar, yet completely mimicked my facial movements.

The distortion options were also more polished. A set of distortion images in squares were available to the right side of the web cam image. Clicking on any of these distortion images would cause your face to be fully modified by that distortion.

I hate making so much of this app. If was fun, but not the end all and be all, so to speak. It will definitely not be the reason to cause me to switch back to being a day-to-day Windows user. Although if I do buy a new computer and that computer is an HP and that app is available -- I might leave a small partition on my hard drive to experience this 'guilty pleasure' :oops: .

I also agree with DrHu's comment -- I don't see any compelling reason for touch screen technology on the average computer user's desktop. There may be specialty applications that just don't spring to my mind at this time.

This has been a fun exchange!

Thanks for the interaction...

Hawkeye
z06gal

Post by z06gal »

Dajunka wrote:After taking up Linux for a week I booted up my windows 7, and my first impression was how horrible windows 7 really is in comparison to Linux mint.
I have now been a Linux user for about a month and in all of that time Mint has never crashed or locked up on me. Going back to windows 7 to handle a bit of work resulted in 1 crash and one system freeze in the space of one hour.

Once I have found a way to run my last few applications on Linux, then it will be bin time for my windows 7. :)

Lol...it is funny you mention the crashing. My husband just got a new desktop for work with Windows 7 installed. He had it exactly one week to the day when, after a dozen crashes, the only thing that came up on the screen was "STOP: Fatal System Failure" I took it in and they have no idea what is wrong. They said the hardware is fine but Windows will not load. I looked at him and said, "Now do you see why I run Linux?" Lol....why do people pay for it is my question?

Return to “Non-technical Questions”