How does one contact the Mint developers? - Re: Naffy

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
PeggySue
Level 1
Level 1

How does one contact the Mint developers? - Re: Naffy

Post by PeggySue »

I have a major concern about the development of the Desktop interface for Linux. I have been testing the Unity interface which is now the default in Naffy Narwhal and I waited for the final release to see if it was any better, but it isn't. With a bit more development it might suit a tablet but it will not catch on for proper computers. Any industrial engineer will tell you that a Desktop's screen is too far away to be used in the way you would use a tablet. Touch screen features will be handy but most of the serious desktop work will be at a keyboard for many years to come.

I switched from Ubuntu at Mint 8 and I have to say that it is head and shoulders above the rest for usability. I currently have Mint 9 as my stable, trusted distro, I use LMDE day to day (but that is still a little unstable) and have several other distros which I check out and move on. Canonical (Mark Shuttleworth) has made his choice for a reason but I believe he has been watching too many detective stories on the TV (with their big touch screens) and has been influenced by his own experiences which are not typical of us common folk. So what needs to be done to keep the classic Mint look when Ubuntu drops classic Gnome?

The classic Gnome is still available in Naffy so I am assuming that Mint 11 will retain it's Mint look and feel. LMDE is based on Debian so that should be OK but it's not as good as Mint yet. The problem comes when Ubuntu drops the classic Gnome desktop all together next year. What will Mint do? Is there enough of Gnome left to run the Mint interface? I have seen the threads about how bad Naffy Narwhal is but complaining amongst ourselves isn't good enough; we need to explain our concerns to the Mint developers. So my question is how do we contact the developers to raise our concerns?

I would like to lodge a plea to retain the classic Mint look and feel no matter what happens to Ubuntu. Am I right or have I missed something?
Hardware: Athlon II X3, 4 GB DDR3, 3x 1TB Raid 5. Running 64 bit: Debian, LDME, Mint 9 64 and 32 bit, Ubuntu 10.10 and testing Naffy Narwhal
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How does one contact the Mint developers? - Re: Naffy

Post by ThistleWeb »

I love people who read before posting, I really do. Mint is not switching to Unity, although it's nowhere near as bad as some make out. It's moving to Gnome 3 in fallback mode, styled with the usual Mint polish. It will look pretty much the same as it does in Mint 10 and below. What happens for Mint 12? Who knows, I'd imagine they're playing that one day by day, watching what's happening so they can make a decision months from now on which way to go. Both Gnome 3 / Gnome Shell and Unity are very new, they both have a long way to go with features, stability, bug fixes and hardware compatibility, 6 months is a long time in Linux.

I also find people who use childish names for things hard to take seriously too, just sayin'. Whether it's Micro$soft, Winblow$ or Naffy, the schoolyard mindset comes through loud and clear.
Crivens!
PeggySue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeggySue »

My question still stands:
I have seen the threads about how bad Naffy Narwhal is but complaining amongst ourselves isn't good enough; we need to explain our concerns to the Mint developers. So my question is how do we contact the developers to raise our concerns?
I don't want this to be another thread discussing the pros and cons of Naffy I want to know how to influence Mint. If I'm wrong it will just be me and I will be ignored but if enough people believe Mint's unique selling point is it's look and feel then sense will prevail.

Oddly enough Mint is the closest linux distro to the Micro$oft winblow$ layout but it is so much better.
Hardware: Athlon II X3, 4 GB DDR3, 3x 1TB Raid 5. Running 64 bit: Debian, LDME, Mint 9 64 and 32 bit, Ubuntu 10.10 and testing Naffy Narwhal
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

By trying to influence Mint one way or the other it will need to be in part the pros and cons of Unity being discussed. I usually find the first step in hoping to influence people is not to be ignored because I can't resist childhood name calling, but whatever floats your boat. FOSS developers tend to have a habit of dog fooding, meaning they live in the software they create for others, they don't just create it and force it on people if it's not suitable. Mint developers also use this forum, they'll read many of the opinions of users. I'd imagine "developers" are the type of people who multi task and use their PCs for something other than occasional YouTube viewing, so they're not going to favour something that's impractical that would turn off many users. Mint is also a distro aimed at new users coming from Windows, where things are easy to use, in part that means not so alien that it turns them off. They only have one workspace by default for example.

I'd imagine the future path of Mint is still in flux for several reasons. Some people don't like either Gnome3 or Unity because they haven't tried them for very long, or they aren't feature rich enough yet, or their hardware isn't supported yet, or they simply don't want to change to anything other than their comfy old slippers. At some point Gnome 2 will be abandoned, meaning that people will have to switch to something. That something could be either Gnome 3, Unity or another desktop environment or window manager altogether like XFCE, KDE or LXDE.
Crivens!
TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea

That link is where suggestions for the distro can be placed. I would think the devs would look there for new/unique ideas and suggestions first.
PeggySue
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PeggySue »

TBABill: Thanks for that. Exactly what I was looking for.

ThistleWeb: As you might have guessed I am fairly relaxed about joke names. I used to be a digital design engineer and have worked with hundreds of software engineers all of whom would have laughed out loud the first time they saw Micro$oft or such names, even if it was a parody of their own work. (Only the managers, who couldn't code, would object.) That was a few (many) years ago but I am betting that today's engineers still have a warped sense of humor. No offense intended.
vrkalak
Level 12
Level 12

Post by vrkalak »

The Gnome (desktop environment) is a pet project of GNU/Linux and has nothing to do with whether Ubuntu supports it or not.

Gnome, Gnome-Shell and Gnome3 will go on . . . many of the other (non-Debian-based) Operating Systems use Gnome. http://www.gnome.org/about/

In the World of Free Open Source Software and Linux . . . Ubuntu (the fastest growing OS in the world) is a small part of Linux.

The Mint Devs and Maintainers are staying with Gnome. :P

Both, in the main, LinuxMint Forums (here) and the Mint Community Forum, as well as, the LinuxMint-IRC . . . Clem and the various Mint Devs -- actually visit and read the Forums.
:: Debian-Sid (Xfce/Fluxbox) :: LinuxMint-18 (LTS) LXDE w/Openbox ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: My DeviantART Page
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 »

ThistleWeb wrote:By trying to influence Mint one way or the other it will need to be in part the pros and cons of Unity being discussed. I usually find the first step in hoping to influence people is not to be ignored because I can't resist childhood name calling, but whatever floats your boat. FOSS developers tend to have a habit of dog fooding, meaning they live in the software they create for others, they don't just create it and force it on people if it's not suitable. Mint developers also use this forum, they'll read many of the opinions of users. I'd imagine "developers" are the type of people who multi task and use their PCs for something other than occasional YouTube viewing, so they're not going to favour something that's impractical that would turn off many users. Mint is also a distro aimed at new users coming from Windows, where things are easy to use, in part that means not so alien that it turns them off. They only have one workspace by default for example.

I'd imagine the future path of Mint is still in flux for several reasons. Some people don't like either Gnome3 or Unity because they haven't tried them for very long, or they aren't feature rich enough yet, or their hardware isn't supported yet, or they simply don't want to change to anything other than their comfy old slippers. At some point Gnome 2 will be abandoned, meaning that people will have to switch to something. That something could be either Gnome 3, Unity or another desktop environment or window manager altogether like XFCE, KDE or LXDE.
It’s truly amazing that in the month you have been here that you know what us long time mint users want or don’t understand.
Acer Aspire Desktop PC - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5500+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 350 HDD, DVDRW
ThistleWeb
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThistleWeb »

ajt007 wrote:It’s truly amazing that in the month you have been here that you know what us long time mint users want or don’t understand.
Indeed, having been a Mint user myself for a long time (I started at either 5 or 6), as well as being a regular in the Mint IRC channels for a LONG time before finally getting around to joining the forums, I agree, I'm only a month into this Minty thing :lol:

Don't make the mistake of someone joining one part of the community, that they're new to all of it. I've been an IRC regular longer than some of the moderators and operators have.
Crivens!
ajt007
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ajt007 »

ThistleWeb wrote:
ajt007 wrote:It’s truly amazing that in the month you have been here that you know what us long time mint users want or don’t understand.
Indeed, having been a Mint user myself for a long time (I started at either 5 or 6), as well as being a regular in the Mint IRC channels for a LONG time before finally getting around to joining the forums, I agree, I'm only a month into this Minty thing :lol:

Don't make the mistake of someone joining one part of the community, that they're new to all of it. I've been an IRC regular longer than some of the moderators and operators have.
Welcome! Linux distributions have been involved with some many changes lately the more experience here the better off we all will be. Glad your here. :D
Acer Aspire Desktop PC - AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core 5500+ 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 350 HDD, DVDRW

Return to “Non-technical Questions”