LMDE Question

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asymmetros

Re: LMDE Question

Post by asymmetros »

In LMDE -aka Debian Testing, Opera is already the 11.11 version. I know cause this is my favourite brower!

Just follow these instructions : http://deb.opera.com/ to add the right repository :wink:

EDIT: the right line is
#deb http://deb.opera.com/opera/ testing non-free

In a second parition, i installed a minimal Squeeze Openbox system, and adding the previous line (stable there instead of testing) the 11.11 version came too,,
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

JasonLG wrote:
michaelzap wrote:
JasonLG wrote:Debian is very Conservative. If you want a more bleeding edge system change your sources from testing to unstable. Be warned that your system will be more prone to breakages. As far as installing a deb, it will stay at the version you installed until the version in the repos surpasses the versions you installed.
Well, yes and no. Stable is conservative (and frozen), but I don't find the packages in Debian testing to be all that out-of-date at all. Are there specific examples you've noticed of software that seems out-of-date to you?
Debian is very conservative compared to other distros. I don't know anyone that would argue that. :roll: Debian sid (unstable) is about as stable as most other distro's stable releases. In fact afaik Ubuntu stable releases (and in turn Mint main version) are largely based on Debian sid.

I also never said that Debian testing is out of date, the original poster did. But in general at any given time it's not uncommon for packages to be a version behind depending on how long ago said package was released upstream. What I simply said was that unstable is more bleeding edge then testing, which is a fact.
Well, I'm not really interested in an argument. Debian stable is most definitely conservative. Testing and unstable are conservative if you compare them to Arch (given that the maintainers test packages before they are included in the repos), but not if you compare them to say Slackware.

Also, Ubuntu generally bases its LTS releases on Debian testing - not unstable.

But more to the point, in my experience the software in the testing repos is not all that out-of-date. Every once in a while I'll want something from the sid repos or a developer's repo, but it's nothing like stable where absolutely everything is old. Given that testing also breaks from time-to-time, I wouldn't want to proclaim how "conservative" it is without adding some caveats.
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

How strange, Opera broke my system. Oh well if it works it works just gotta find out how to fix it.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

michaelzap wrote:Well, I'm not really interested in an argument.

Then why do you keep responding to my post by splitting hairs about what I said?
michaelzap wrote:Debian stable is most definitely conservative. Testing and unstable are conservative if you compare them to Arch (given that the maintainers test packages before they are included in the repos), but not if you compare them to say Slackware.
You pretty much just agreed with me while trying to ague with me. :roll: I said that Debian unstable is generally as conservative as most distros stable releases.
michaelzap wrote:Also, Ubuntu generally bases its LTS releases on Debian testing - not unstable.
That my be true for the core but a lot of apps are drawn from unstable even in an LTS release and non-LTS releases are based on unstable.
michaelzap wrote:But more to the point, in my experience the software in the testing repos is not all that out-of-date. Every once in a while I'll want something from the sid repos or a developer's repo, but it's nothing like stable where absolutely everything is old.
Again you agree with me while trying to argue. What I said is it not uncommon for an app to be a version behind depending on when it was released upstream. It takes time for it to filter through experimental and unstable.I didn't say that testing is out of date.
michaelzap wrote:Given that testing also breaks from time-to-time, I wouldn't want to proclaim how "conservative" it is without adding some caveats.
I'm not proclaiming anything. I'm just saying that Debian is comparatively pretty conservative. I'm pretty sure that the names of the Debian repos generally speak for themselves. But if you need me to spell it out for you here you go.

Experimental - Do not use this repo. It will kill your kittens.
Unstable - Use this repo at your own risk. It may kill your kittens.
Testing - Use this repo for a good time. Put a helmet on your kittens.
Stable - Use this repo to be boring. Your kittens may fall a sleep.

Read this post several times very slowly before you respond. You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension.
Last edited by JasonLG on Fri May 27, 2011 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelzap
Level 3
Level 3

Post by michaelzap »

JasonLG wrote::roll:...Read this post several times very slowly before you respond. You seem to have a problem with reading comprehension.
You certainly do roll your eyes a lot. :roll: I think that my previous post says exactly what I wanted it to say, and I'm still not interested in arguing with you (no matter how insulting or obnoxiously you behave). If according to you we agree, then I think that the OP has what s/he needs from us on this question.
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

Meow, cat fight!!!

Well it nice to know your guys care enough to fight over it. It's this passion that is needed to bring cookie baking.. err Education in the US back to life.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

And7ate9 wrote:Meow, cat fight!!!

Well it nice to know your guys care enough to fight over it. It's this passion that is needed to bring cookie baking.. err Education in the US back to life.
Kitten fight. :D
And7ate9

Post by And7ate9 »

hmmm I having some real trouble with repositories.
I tried adding virtualbox and the same thing that happened with opera is happening with virtualbox.
I need to get back into the system to post what's going on.
wangsuda

Post by wangsuda »

Later editions of VB (4.X and up) don;t work so well (especially with the new kernel). Try using an older version. I use 3.2.8 and have no problems. Additionally, I didn't need to add any repositories.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”