Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Post Reply
guest

Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by guest » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:45 am

it's one of the sites i've visited that sucks. it has a board that posts updates but no links to point you where could get/download those updates. it really sucks i got annoyed!

User avatar
molom
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by molom » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:31 am

guest wrote:it's one of the sites i've visited that sucks. it has a board that posts updates but no links to point you where could get/download those updates. it really sucks i got annoyed!
Such an attitude isn't going to get you anywhere. I think the site is very nice, I didn't like the previous one, but the current one is 'elegant'. All I think that should be done to make it perfect would be to have a better organized part within the official and unofficial submissions and for some of those download links to work properly (Some don't work or are broken links)

Cheers,
molom

User avatar
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:07 pm
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida
Contact:

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by mumbo719 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:16 am

molom wrote:
guest wrote:it's one of the sites i've visited that sucks. it has a board that posts updates but no links to point you where could get/download those updates. it really sucks i got annoyed!
Such an attitude isn't going to get you anywhere. I think the site is very nice
Cheers,
molom
Have to agree with molom on the attitude and the site.

If you have something constructive to add I'm sure your request to improve the site would be given consideration.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford

User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by belovedmonster » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:46 am

I think the Mint Art page is a bit sucky as well.

For one thing the main menu on the left hand side is way too full up of links to other sections of the Mint universe like the forums and wiki. That information is confusing to say the least.

If you think about what navigation you actually need it would make sense that the menu was separated into wallpapers, logos etc. But no, instead the menu links to completely different parts of the Mint online presence, and instead makes you click on a generic "gallery" option mixed amongst all these other sections before you can then pick which section of images you want to view.

Who ever designed this thing wasn't thinking clearly IMO.

User avatar
Ede
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by Ede » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:20 pm

Well I'm not seeing anyone of you making something better. NiksaVel has been working hard, and you should thank him for setting up a system for people to submit graphics for mint, instead of just complaining. I too think it looks illogical, but just saying it sucks does not help a thing.

User avatar
Fred
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3339
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 am
Location: NC USA

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by Fred » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:24 am

I don't blame you a bit. The very idea of putting up a web page that isn't up to your standards.

If I were you, I would absolutely, positively ask for a refund!!

Then I would go out and hang myself by the tender parts.

Enjoy

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

User avatar
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:34 pm

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by belovedmonster » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:35 am

If there's one thing that bugs me about open source its when you offer up criticism and people act like you should just shut up and be grateful that someone was willing to give up their time. Normally with sarcastic replies like this one.

Criticism is only intended to help improve the thing in question. It is not a "We wish you hadn't bothered" statement. Granted the guy who started this post was fairly rude and could have put his ideas across better but criticism should be viewed upon as an opportunity to improve, not as a terrible personal insult!!

I work in a creative industry, and the when I finish a design I ask the people around me to trash the idea, because that's the only way I'm gunna take the design forward and improve upon it.

If we cant offer up criticism of Mint and its various parts then frankly this community ain't worth much.

User avatar
molom
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 390
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by molom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 am

belovedmonster wrote:If there's one thing that bugs me about open source its when you offer up criticism and people act like you should just shut up and be grateful that someone was willing to give up their time. Normally with sarcastic replies like this one.

Criticism is only intended to help improve the thing in question. It is not a "We wish you hadn't bothered" statement. Granted the guy who started this post was fairly rude and could have put his ideas across better but criticism should be viewed upon as an opportunity to improve, not as a terrible personal insult!!

I work in a creative industry, and the when I finish a design I ask the people around me to trash the idea, because that's the only way I'm gunna take the design forward and improve upon it.

If we cant offer up criticism of Mint and its various parts then frankly this community ain't worth much.
I think we should give critisim, but not like the way the 'Guest' said it, all he/she said was that it SUX and nothing else. Make a proper thread giving advice and suggestions, not some rubbish saying its crap and I can't be bothered explaining why.

Cheers,
molom

User avatar
Fred
Level 10
Level 10
Posts: 3339
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 am
Location: NC USA

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by Fred » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:17 am

belovedmonster,

There is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism. My post was aimed at the original poster. There were no suggestions for improvement, offers of assistance of any kind, or encouragement to do better. There was only ridicule offered in return for the effort put forth to make something that would/could be useful.

The biggest motivator in the FOSS community has traditionally been the recognition received for ones efforts. It is a foregone conclusion the work product you produce will be picked up and improved upon, no matter how good it is. The phrase "standing on the shoulders of giants" comes to mind. To reward peoples efforts with praise, suggestions, and encouragement to do more, better is the human thing to do. It also fosters community and makes the FOSS system work and endure. The kid writing a sloppy, disorganized program which will print "Hello world" today may well be the Linus of tomorrow, with the right help and encouragement.

To show total disdain for another's efforts, no matter how good or bad they are, while standing on the sidelines offering nothing for improvement, just doesn't rate very high in my book.

That might not be a popular opinion, but it is mine.

If I have offended you, I apologize. If I offended the original poster, sorry, but I have no regrets.

Have a nice day

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.

guest

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by guest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:29 am

hi im the thread starter. ok im so sorry i got so rude. i didn't realize i would be hurting the web creator and the community here. peace out to you all...the thing is, i was expecting of a site that's very easy to navigate since all of us here i think, have sufficient knowledge about this stuff. i bet the creator is a developer and for that he should have designed the site better than that. now if you think i should have made suggestions, on the contrary, i do think it's unnecessary because it's fairly easy to implement what i meant. however, i admit, i was a bit harsh...i just got annoyed. btw, im a true fan of linux mint and im wishing for the best of it. in fact, i've been following it's development since its invasion on my PC. so if you consider the lighter side of my thread, i was just pushing the creator's a** to make improvements with the site... :)

deadguy
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 707
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:41 pm
Location: Illinois USA
Contact:

Re: Mint Art Webpage sucks!

Post by deadguy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:31 pm

molom wrote: I think the site is very nice, I didn't like the previous one, but the current one is 'elegant'. All I think that should be done to make it perfect would be to have a better organized part within the official and unofficial submissions and for some of those download links to work properly (Some don't work or are broken links)

Cheers,
molom
I agree with molom.

Post Reply

Return to “Non-technical Questions”