No Google...is a no no

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sl149q

Re: No Google...is a no no

Post by sl149q »

Forcing a piece of drek like duckduckgo on people is just stupid.

If you need money charge for the distribution.

Currently (except for the rainbows up firefox and chrome branding) linux mint is very good.

Fortunately its easy to remove both and just install google-chrome with apt-get.

The bottom line is I use chrome on a large number of systems. From Macs to Windows to iPads. Making them all look and feel the same is important to me and I really don't want to have to screw around and try and re-configure or change the default settings just because some facist developers want to impose their personal preferences and convictions on me. Makes them worse in my eyes than google or apple or microsoft.

I'll wait to see what shakes out with the next release. I couldn't put in mint 14 because of the buggy usb3 support in the kernel, so I'm stuck for now at mint 13. When / if mint 15 comes out I'll check it out. But if the duckduckgo crap is still there I'll vote with my feet and find something else.
igor83

Re: No Google...is a no no

Post by igor83 »

sl149q wrote:Forcing a piece of drek like duckduckgo on people is just stupid.

If you need money charge for the distribution.

Currently (except for the rainbows up firefox and chrome branding) linux mint is very good.

Fortunately its easy to remove both and just install google-chrome with apt-get.

The bottom line is I use chrome on a large number of systems. From Macs to Windows to iPads. Making them all look and feel the same is important to me and I really don't want to have to screw around and try and re-configure or change the default settings just because some facist developers want to impose their personal preferences and convictions on me. Makes them worse in my eyes than google or apple or microsoft.

I'll wait to see what shakes out with the next release. I couldn't put in mint 14 because of the buggy usb3 support in the kernel, so I'm stuck for now at mint 13. When / if mint 15 comes out I'll check it out. But if the duckduckgo crap is still there I'll vote with my feet and find something else.
Well, I've used Duckie from time to time, and she is not all that bad really, and besides don't you use a proper Home Page? If you did then the input field in the upper-right corner would be a trifle.

Fascist developers, indeed, charging nothing for their hard work and holding their tongue when we gripe about things. I think my arthritis is fascist, because it never asks, it just tells me what I'm going to do and what I'm not going to do. But with Linux Mint, the thing is, you can change stuff you don't like, and that's great, though why anyone would change their browser to Chrome, I don't know.

Firefox forever...

Return to “Non-technical Questions”