Revamp Linux Mint Logo?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Revamp Linux Mint Logo?

Post by adredz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:27 am

First of all, I don't know what's the logic behind the logo but there are two cases about it which make it redundant so to speak:

1.We know that Linux Mint is a Linux distro. Ergo, we don't have to tell the whole world that it is linux through logo because
it really is linux in nature. So I suggest if it doesn't offend the creator of the logo, to remove the “Linux” word in “Linux
Mint”.

2.It's about the symbol of the logo. It has an “LM” thing in it. I am assuming it means Linux Mint and again, it is redundant. I
mean we already have the words Linux Mint with it, I don't see any reason why we should make a repetition. I think it's
better if we make a real symbol(eg. a drawing or something) that tells exactly the same thing as what the complimentary words tell. Logos work that way, right? Since “mint” tells something about plants or a place where coins are made, why
don't we make a symbol out of it and then pair it with the word “mint”. Look what ubuntu did, their logo is plain and simple but perfect in any sense, at least to me.

What do you think guys? I suggest the revamped logo, assuming clem and the community would do it, will be implemented in the next release especially in Mint Debian edition since its community are still in the process of making a logo. Just a thought though...

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Revamp Linux Mint Logo?

Post by Zwopper » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:21 am

...an interesting issue...

If so, now is the time to get to work on it, so everyone gets a chance to implement it in wallpapers, the various splash-screens, themes, iconsets etc.
I for one will be watching this with great interest.
And if such a decision is made, will make my best to contribute in any way I can.

On a side note...
If new system sounds are needed I have a full studio just waiting to make some noise...
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4

belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:47 am

Really you aren't proposing a new logo but more a new name for the distro (which then affects the logo as it would effect every part of the website and branding).

While I guess most people do call it Mint for short I dont know if dropping the Linux is a good idea both in terms of branding and just in terms of how it sounds.

molom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by molom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:57 am

I think changing the name 'Linux Mint' to 'Mint' sounds a lot more elegant. So I also want the name to be change. But I can't imagine how the logo would look like. It sounds like a hard task.

Cheers,
molom

rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:03 am

Revamping the logo is fine with me. I don't know if it will result in any legal problems but I know I always refer to it as Mint. Most in the Linux community already know we are talking about a Linux distribution and those outside of the Linux community simply ask "Linux?" So to simplify the name to Mint may have some advantages. As for some new sounds for Mint, GO FOR IT!
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0

adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adredz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:14 am

belovedmonster wrote:Really you aren't proposing a new logo but more a new name for the distro (which then affects the logo as it would effect every part of the website and branding).
sort of. i just thought it would be very easy to change and implement, and i do hope it is. someone mentioned here to make Mint a very special distro, so maybe this could favorably be the first thing to start off...from this to Debian :D. i think it's just a matter of change and getting used to. we have many well-crafted artists here in Ede and Phil to name a few...

adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adredz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:20 am

molom wrote:I think changing the name 'Linux Mint' to 'Mint' sounds a lot more elegant.

Sure it is. It's kind of weird to call it Linux Mint since we all know it is Linux and the name Mint is all we are used to call this distro anyway. So why not make it Mint alone instead... :D
molom wrote:So I also want the name to be change. But I can't imagine how the logo would look like. It sounds like a hard task.
kind of. but we still have around 3-4 months left to develop it. i think it's more than enough... :D making the logo though depends on what really the orginal creator intended to convey. did he mean "mint" as in an aromatic herbal plant or a place where coins are manufactured? if he meant the latter, maybe we could represent a "melting pot" with overflowing liquified metal. just my idea, don't really know to interpret it because i'm no artist... :D
Last edited by adredz on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adredz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:26 am

Zwopper wrote:...an interesting issue...
it really is...know what when i first saw the ubuntu logo and the way it goes with the word "ubuntu", it gave me goose bumps because it's just so touching... :D

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:29 am

Personally, I love "Linux Mint". It associates the word "Linux" with "Mint". Since Linux Mint is a user friendly, elegant Linux distribution (and strives to be THE most user friendly, elegant Linux distribution" it's appropriate and desirable to have "Mint" associated with "Linux" so that users come to know "Linux" as "Mint". Did that make sense??? :P

As for the Mint logo...it's brilliant. It's clean, concise and simple. It follows the oft ignored KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid.) One thing I've noticed about the Linux community and artwork is that too many cooks spoil the broth. All one needs to do is peruse gnome-look or kde-look to quickly find many, many gaudy, over done wallpapers, splash screens, icon themes or any type of theme you can imagine. Many comments on these submissions urge for more of this or less of that...indicating, clearly that it is impossible to please everyone. So it is in the Linux Mint community. The Linux Mint logo is already simple and elegant as the distro's name implies. It's beautiful as is and does its job well. Let's just screw around with it too much or we'll ruin it in a vain attempt to please everyone.

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:41 am

rcdeacon wrote:As for some new sounds for Mint, GO FOR IT!
[My current Logon sound] - Mint upload - 2 days only!

[My current Logoff sound] - Mint upload - 2 days only!
Last edited by Zwopper on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
CREA DIEM!

molom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by molom » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:42 am

cmost wrote:Personally, I love "Linux Mint". It associates the word "Linux" with "Mint". Since Linux Mint is a user friendly, elegant Linux distribution (and strives to be THE most user friendly, elegant Linux distribution" it's appropriate and desirable to have "Mint" associated with "Linux" so that users come to know "Linux" as "Mint". Did that make sense??? :P

As for the Mint logo...it's brilliant. It's clean, concise and simple. It follows the oft ignored KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid.) One thing I've noticed about the Linux community and artwork is that too many cooks spoil the broth. All one needs to do is peruse gnome-look or kde-look to quickly find many, many gaudy, over done wallpapers, splash screens, icon themes or any type of theme you can imagine. Many comments on these submissions urge for more of this or less of that...indicating, clearly that it is impossible to please everyone. So it is in the Linux Mint community. The Linux Mint logo is already simple and elegant as the distro's name implies. It's beautiful as is and does its job well. Let's just screw around with it too much or we'll ruin it in a vain attempt to please everyone.
You have totally confused me on that first paragraph :?
Making it just 'Mint' makes people that don't like linux to try it. Its like gOS. I bet if gOS was called 'Linux gOS' hardly any people would want to buy their PC's.

Cheers,
molom

adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adredz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:50 am

cmost wrote:Personally, I love "Linux Mint". It associates the word "Linux" with "Mint". Since Linux Mint is a user friendly, elegant Linux distribution (and strives to be THE most user friendly, elegant Linux distribution" it's appropriate and desirable to have "Mint" associated with "Linux" so that users come to know "Linux" as "Mint". Did that make sense??? :P
it think it doesn't...you don't have to associate Mint with Linux because Mint is already Linux. it's redundant as i pointed out in the thread...
cmost wrote:As for the Mint logo...it's brilliant. It's clean, concise and simple. It follows the oft ignored KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stupid.) One thing I've noticed about the Linux community and artwork is that too many cooks spoil the broth. All one needs to do is peruse gnome-look or kde-look to quickly find many, many gaudy, over done wallpapers, splash screens, icon themes or any type of theme you can imagine. Many comments on these submissions urge for more of this or less of that...indicating, clearly that it is impossible to please everyone. So it is in the Linux Mint community. The Linux Mint logo is already simple and elegant as the distro's name implies. It's beautiful as is and does its job well. Let's just screw around with it too much or we'll ruin it in a vain attempt to please everyone.
of course it's clean, concise and simple i have no problem with that. but the thing is it makes unnecessary repetition. it's telling things that are already implied...and i would like to correct you cmost that while i made this thread i had no intention in mind to please everyone...i'm just doing this for the better of Mint... :D

adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adredz » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am

anyone who agrees this idea, just bump this thread up by typing a comment so everyone gets the chance to read this and say comments...

rcdeacon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rcdeacon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:41 am

zwopper, thanks for the sounds. Installed both on my desktop and laptop. Thanks. They really sound good.
Neither is there in any other: for there is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12.
Dell Dimension 4600, 1g, Nvidia 5500, Mint 4.0, Mepis 7.0, XP
Acer Aspire 5002 WLMi, 1g, Sis 760, Mint 4.0

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:00 am

rcdeacon wrote:zwopper, thanks for the sounds. Installed both on my desktop and laptop. Thanks. They really sound good.
I'm glad You like them.
I'm thinking about putting together a complete set for all system events.
CREA DIEM!

Kynan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kynan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:03 am

I agree but also in a different way....
to me having "mint" in the name whether its "linux mint" or just "mint" makes things difficult and restricts the options to make wallpapers themes ect as you basically have to adopt to a green look just because of the name. I've often thought if i were to create a wallpaper for mint what would it be like??... i don't think of the beautiful vista wallpapers with the nice scenery, i just think of mint leafs and a green themed background (maybe grass or trees).

Ubuntu also sort of has this problem with its brown and orange theme trying to be african themed... to me its just restrictions on what design you can do.

Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:44 am

Branding is important so the basic LM of the logo would be best left in.

I do not think the Linux Mint Logo or wording (branding) restricts an artist.
Think outside the box and don't follow what others do or have done.

have you ever asked yourself "what if I am wrong?"

why is the answer 43?

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!

Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:45 am

Kynan wrote:I agree but also in a different way....
to me having "mint" in the name whether its "linux mint" or just "mint" makes things difficult and restricts the options to make wallpapers themes ect as you basically have to adopt to a green look just because of the name. I've often thought if i were to create a wallpaper for mint what would it be like??... i don't think of the beautiful vista wallpapers with the nice scenery, i just think of mint leafs and a green themed background (maybe grass or trees).

Ubuntu also sort of has this problem with its brown and orange theme trying to be african themed... to me its just restrictions on what design you can do.
On this issue I don't agree with You at all.
I have made some scenic mint wallpapers, with motives from the Icelandic nature, they're not up to vista class because of the low resolution of the camera, but still...

[Take a look here!
CREA DIEM!

cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cmost » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:36 am

@adredz

The phrase Linux Mint is not redundant. Linux Linux would be redundant, Linux OS would be redundant. When an uninitiated person sees the phrase Linux Mint out in the wild, say on a tech site or elsewhere, he immediately knows from its name that it's a variant of the Linux operating system. Otherwise he scratches his head and says "what is Mint?" At least with gOS, the name implies it's an operating system. When Linux Mint gains the reputation Clem hopes it will, then people will come to realize Linux Mint as THE Linux distribution. Mint only describes a distribution of Linux to the Mint community or those familiar with Linux and its myriad of distributions. When others see the word Mint, they think of its other common definition. Otherwise; by your logic dinner mints would be mistaken for Linux, mint chocolates as linux, etc. Obviously that's nonsensical. I think it's a really bad idea to start over analyzing the distributions' name and tinkering around with its logo. In this day and age brand recognition is everything and Linux Mint has already established itself as a brand (it's number five on Distrowatch.) Remember what happened when Coke screwed around with its trademark formula?

Ede
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ede » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:08 pm

I slightly agree. The logo and the text is pretty, but it's kinda too much, and 90% of all mint-related art makes use of Logo + text + "from freedom came elegance" beneath. Nothing wrong with that, but I get bored pretty easy by graphics. I aimed at something minimalistic and such with the logo I submitted as a suggestion for the logo for the Debian CE.
Then someone took that and placed it into the official logo/text, just removed the "mint" from the official logo and inserted the one I made. It's not a problem, but it's so booooring, and I get the impression that people believe that they must have the logo and text in everything they make or else they go to hell or something bad like that.

A logo must be simplistic. But the official name for Linux Mint should continue to be called Linux Mint. Mint is actually the name of a piece of software if I'm not mistaken. So there's a difference between "Mint" and "Linux Mint".

Subnote: Actually, every art for the Debian CE so far uses something from the official LM-logo. I don't even use the same font.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”