Does Linux Mint intend to support Gnome 2.x long term?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sarker1986

Does Linux Mint intend to support Gnome 2.x long term?

Post by Sarker1986 »

I am wondering if Linux Mint intends to support its older distros which are based on Gnome 2.x in the medium to long term. I apologize if this question has been asked to death, but i have just switch to LM11 in the last 6 months as a result of Gnome 3 and Unity. I found them incredibly frustrating, taking an average of two clicks more per task on the GUI interface than Gnome 2. As well I have been less than impressed with the lack of customization options on Gnome 3/Unity.

I will give LM12 a go in the near future, but I just don't have the time right now to do so. If I am unhappy with it though, will LM continue to support LM11 and previous versions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Anakinholland

Re: Does Linux Mint intend to support Gnome 2.x long term?

Post by Anakinholland »

Sarker1986 wrote:If I am unhappy with it though, will LM continue to support LM11 and previous versions?
No, they're not extending support because 1 person wants them to :)

As you can see in the FAQ, there is a default period of 1,5 years for support on regular releases, and 3 years on so-called Long Term Support (LTS) releases. Overview of releases: here, scroll down a little, 2nd row in the table.

In your (and mine) case Mint 11 will be supported until november next year.

Regards,

Anakin
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Sarker1986 wrote:I found them incredibly frustrating, taking an average of two clicks more per task on the GUI interface than Gnome 2
Neither are mouse clicking friendly interfaces, they're keyboard oriented. The fastest way to grow to like or accept Gnome 3 is by starting to use the keyboard for launching apps and finding things, not the mouse.
sunewbie

Post by sunewbie »

bimsebasse wrote:
Sarker1986 wrote:I found them incredibly frustrating, taking an average of two clicks more per task on the GUI interface than Gnome 2
Neither are mouse clicking friendly interfaces, they're keyboard oriented. The fastest way to grow to like or accept Gnome 3 is by starting to use the keyboard for launching apps and finding things, not the mouse.
try gnome-do and synapse. Both are keyboard launchers.

to activate gnome-do press super (win) + space. and for synapse it is ctrl (left side)+space. Type the name of app e.g. writer or opera. As soon as you begin to type, it will automatically filter. once auto selected hit enter. Enjoy :D

Regarding support for Gnome 2, even if mint continues to support gnome2, most apps are or will be porting to gnome 3 and GTK 3+, which gnome 2 does not support. There will be issues with library files. Alternatively, Clem in his blog also described that you cannot have both Gnome 2 and gnome 3 installed like he has done with gnome 3 and MATE. libraries wil clash and thus making system unstable.

So even if you continue to get security updates, your apps wont update or will not be supported for long.

This is one of the reason thy Clem decided to go for MATE which is a fork of Gnome 2 and behaves exactly as gnome 2. If you are told that you are using MATE, you will be under the impression that you are on gnome2.

Just wait for Mint 13, which will be an LTS version. Till than MATE and Gnome 3 and maybe UNITY will be more flexible and mature. I prefer LTS version and install them after 3-4 months after release to be safe. Till then most bugs will be fixed.

Return to “Non-technical Questions”