More desired Features please.

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

More desired Features please.

Post by grizwald »

Hi Guys,

One of the main aggravations I encounter when upgrading Mint releases is the apparent inability to export existing Bookmarks from Firefox as well as the Thunderbird Address Books [plural].

Changing from XP was easy, there is a program that does this - almost perfectly, but unfortunately nothing seems to be available when upgrading to subsequent versions of Mint.

I envisage the respective data being written to a file/s which can be copied [USB thumb drive as an example] and subsequently imported into the new installation.

---------

It is great to discover Daryna 4 Skype supports Video at last, but it seems a little buggy still. Don't attempt to make a call to the Skype Audio test centre, Skype will lock up and when exiting will leave a 'ghost' copy somewhere preventing reloading unless one re-boots Mint.

BUT, I'm over the moon with the fact that video is at last available and reports suggest the video quality is slightly better than when using XP - another bonus.

Kind regards to the 'Team' from a Mint Convert.

Griz.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Re: More desired Features please.

Post by Sorensei »

Hi,
What I would suggest is keeping your home directory on a separate partition - and keep it intact when you upgrade - all your settings should remain. Or you can save your Firefox/Thunderbird profiles before upgrading and restore them afterwards. They're in hidden folders, if I remember well ~/.mozilla-thunderbird for instance, in your home directory. :wink:
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
grizwald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by grizwald »

Thanks Sorensei, good tip and I'll explore it in detail now.

Update...

I found the Mozilla and Thunderbird directories as you said. I grafted them into my newly installed Mint KDE installation. Brilliant!!! Everything is there, Favourites, Address Books, no old emails though but I can live with that.

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

Cheers,

Griz.
wojtek

Re: Skype 2.0 problem

Post by wojtek »

hello.

im using Skype 2.0 on Daryna,,, finally it is set up not only to receive video but also to transmit.
BUT,,, i'm using a Logitech webcam,, and 9 out of 10 times I engage video transmission, Skype just quits.
anybody out there with a solution?

cheers
BakUp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by BakUp »

grizwald wrote:no old emails though but I can live with that.
You can find your old mail in the same folder where you found the abook.mab file (the default folder). Just copy the complete Mail folder, save it to your storage device and used it again when when you upgrade.

I am sure you have found out that you have to open Thunderbird first, add your Thunderbird accounts to your new upgrade, then shut down Thunderbird, replace the new Mail with your old mail, then start Thunderbird up again and your old mails should all be there.
My Linux Distros:
sidux - Parsix - DreamLinux - Mint

Return to “Non-technical Questions”