Finally Gave Up Windows! My experience and suggestions...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Finally Gave Up Windows! My experience and suggestions...

Postby jimallyn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:26 pm

rickNS wrote:I did glean from that much that you're not quite the "programmer" you let on to be

rickNS, did you miss this:
So I’ve done lots of programming in the past, but it was mainly in a Windows/Office environment and a long time ago

rickNS wrote:...5 WIN install fails ?

No, 5 Mint install fails. Go back and read it again.

rickNS wrote:You could just fix the bugs your self if you were

Besides being wrong about about which OS he had 5 failed installs with, are you forgetting that Windows isn't open source, so if it had been Windows he was having problems with, there would have been no way he could have fixed it?

Seriously, was any of that necessary? Please refrain from making further posts like that.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Reddog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Reddog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 pm

Moem wrote:
Reddog wrote:It's nice to know that most people have straight-forward installs with no problems.

Well, most people do not start off by
- installing from an ISO that's out of support
- upgrade it in a way that's not recommended and I'm surprised it was possible at all
- install more than one desktop environments.

Frankly I'm surprised you got it working at all. It really speaks very positively for the stability of Mint.

Actually when I did it that roundabout way it worked better than a fresh Mint 18 KDE install. When I did the fresh install in BIOS legacy mode I tried it five different times with different combinations of 3rd party software and encryption and got a black screen with a cursor every time at boot. Then when I installed it in UEFI mode it erased my Truecrypt bootloader on my separate Windows disk and also failed to install Mint! So I was left with both Windows and Mint that didn't work! Luckily I had a copy of the Truecrypt rescue disk in the cloud and was able to burn the iso on a new CD at work to recover Windows.

Then I disconnected the power to my Windows disk and finally the Mint 18 install went fine, but guess what - I still have the exact same soundcard, video, networking, and mouse problems! So none of that changed! Research has shown all of my problems have been around for at least 7-10 years, some of which I think have an easy fix (like can't enter the decryption password on boot with some video drivers, mouse as a joystick, etc.)

This is 2017 and I just thought a modern computer with common hardware would work fine the first time. But I guess my expectations were too high. I like to be optimistic and as more and more Windows users want to switch over I hope things improve.

Reddog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Reddog » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks for the support jimallyn!

thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Postby thom_A » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:07 am

rickNS wrote:WOW, shake my head, wall of text I guess, I quit after about one screen full.

Yeah, it's hard to read walls of texts. My brain hurts just scanning them. The only thing that caught my attention was when I spot the terms "full disk encryption." I wondered how did it go from unsecured Windows 10 spyware to Linux full disk encryption? That's too wide a gap. Just the idea of no longer having to install anti-virus apps was already good enough for me when I was transitioning to Linux. And maybe that's what's causing the problems. I don't do installs with encryption, BTW, not even my home folder. A simple password is good enough for me.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Citizen229 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Wow.... just .... wow. People still use add on sound cards?
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
More GPU's needed!

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Postby jimallyn » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:14 pm

Citizen229 wrote:Wow.... just .... wow. People still use add on sound cards?

Sure, I use a sound card that installs in a slot in the computer, then has a cable that goes to a box with all the inputs and outputs on it. (Eight analog ins, eight analog outs, MIDI in and out, and SPDIF in and out.)

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby NoWinBob » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:26 pm

I must be the luckiest newbie around.I am running two versions of Linux on two pretty old machines,and they both work pretty good.Granted i am not a gamer,but I have'nt had nearly as many problem as you.One small note.Everything ran much more smoothly when I quit looking for something that looks like Windows and finally tried Ubuntu.It runs very well on my old desktop,although I did have Wifi and power saver problems on the laptop.Unless I suddenly turn into a gamer(not likely),I can't see ever returning to windows.

jgold
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jgold » Thu May 18, 2017 6:35 pm

I'm going to chime in here because I also have finally relegated Windows to VM status and am running Linux Mint Cinnamon as the host OS on both my Desktop. It feels good to have done it but it could have been much easier. To be fair, I was expecting some problems because both machines are new. Both have the i7-7700k kaby lake processors with NVME SSD drives. The laptop has the Geforce 1050 and the multi-touch mouse, USB3. I know it takes awhile for support for newer hardware to get out there and those were all things I was worried about.

Right now, things are mostly working. I'm having troubles with USB drives. Can't format them. I've got minor issues with the sound not working on the headphone jack if the headphones are plugged in during the boot process. If I wait and plug them in after booting they work fine. (I'm going to try the Pulse Audio volume control to see if I can get it working without rebooting next time). My biggest problem is VirtualBox. My Windows 7 VMs lock up constantly. I even installed Virtualbox 5.1.22 but it didn't help. That's not a Linux Mint issue though.

I agree with reddog that it would be nice if priorities were set to get bugs fixed above making things prettier. It may not be as fun but it makes mint better. I really don't like the trend to hide everything. I had a heck of a time recovering from boot errors because I couldn't get to the grub menu. It would never show up at all. If I hit the arrow key at exactly the right time I could get to it. It's irritating that the default settings on a new install make it so difficult to get to the recovery options. I don't mind having the option to hide all that stuff if you want to once the system is stable but there are too many things that can go wrong to make it the default.

Another example is gnome-disks (Disks on the menu) as the default disk manager. When I was having trouble formatting an old hard drive, I was given the advice to not use Disks and to install gparted instead. IMO gparted should be the default. Disks looks simpler but it's pretty useless. I had trouble figuring out how to just mount and unmount a drive. At first I thought it couldn't do it. I'm right clicking on the various panels. Nothing worked. Later I found that it uses the stop and play icons to do it. Stop and play? Really? Ya know... there's an eject icon that most applications use. Contrast that to gparted where theres a partition menu with a unmount option. English is just a lot easier and clearer than icons especially if you don't use standard ones. This is especially true for new people. I find myself hovering the mouse over different potential controls to see if I'll get a hint on what it's going to do.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get into a rant. All in all, I've been happy with Mint and especially the help I've gotten on the forum. I figured I'd put my money where my mouth is and make a donation. I really wish it would accept credit cards. I really don't like or trust Paypal and I don't want to get into the whole bitcoin thing. Not accepting credit cards seems like a good way to discourage donations. Maybe you guys could look into Patreon? I support some Youtube channels with it. I think it would work for Mint.

Anyway, all in all, it's great. It could be better but it's good enough to use as my main OS. I'm sure my little issues will get worked out eventually.

Reddog
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Reddog » Fri May 19, 2017 8:18 am

Interesting reply jgold.

As an update 4 months after my hardware install: I've been taking some Linux courses online and reading some books and I'm much more comfortable with my computer now. Edx.org has an intro Linux course and udemy.com has a bunch of courses ranging from beginner to professional. Although it might seem like a step back having to study for months and read hundreds of pages just to use your computer nowadays, the customization and the control that is possible make it all worthwhile.

In fact, studying Linux has gotten me so interested in computers again I'm planning to do my Master's Degree in Cybersecurity next year after upgrading this year.

I just read through this which was posted on another thread about transitioning from Windows.
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

Although I don't agree with all of it, there's a few good points. My biggest beef is that simple and known bugs should have been fixed a long time ago. Like that article says in point #7, we can't expect "customer focused" service, but I wish the developers would place a higher priority on fixing bugs rather than on improvements and newer versions.

For example, I installed kgpg and I can't get it to stop autostarting at boot. Turn to google and of course other people have had the problem. Manually change the config file and it still doesn't stop starting...

I haven't had any problem with virtualbox, but I'm only using Linux VM's.

I want to donate too and taking credit cards would be the easiest way for sure.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”